Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Diorella

Need help in tree lighting

I just moved into my new home and i have a tree in front of the house that i would like to decorate.

I would love to do it like this picture so i need help in finding the right lights.

And what color should i do it?Are clear lights too boring? I find it classy.

tree.jpg

I would say there's probably 150-200k lights on that tree. It sure does look good. You probably should have started wrapping in January to get done by Christmas:laughing:

lol

I will probably not go to the top of the branches and i knew it was mini-lights but is there any special kind - like spacing between lights? or not really.

Thanks guys.

Only a suggestion, but if you have a tree that big and are going to put that many lights on it, you may want to invest in some better quality lights than the Wal-Mart ones. Most of the lights I use are either from Wal-Mart or Lowes just because they are so inexpensive. But you are really limited to the 3 string rule, although at times I push it to 4. You will be surprised just how little a 100 string light will cover once you start wrapping it around the tree.

Keeping the 3 string rule in mind, more extension cords will be used up and down the tree depending how big you tree is.

If you use a better quality light string, many of them allow you to string more lights together. More strings equals less extension cords. Extension cords can be expensive also (just ask anyone who has several thousand feet of them!!). Plus it saves a little time, which is precious about this time of year.

More lights in my opinion almost always looks more "classy" then trying to stretch out less lights over the same area. Hope this helps and you vision of what you want turns out:)

You are going to have to do multiple runs of cords up the tree. What I would recommend is going a spool of SPT1 or SPT2 wire. ActionLighting.com is out for the season but you can get it SPT1 here

http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/modules/webstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=310

Then buy plugs

http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/modules/webstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=472

The plug marked with a C is an inline plug, meaning you can put multiple female plugs anywhere you want on the wire.

You will make several runs up the tree and plug the inline plugs where you need them.

You are really going to have to figure out the power when doing a tree of this size.

Just a word of warning though. That tree proably has more lights that most of peoples displays here. That is a huge project! Better get started Today!

Also depending on where you live and how much you want to spend, alot of landscape companies around here do this to make money in the winter, they have the ladders, the help etc. Ive seem them do a bunch oftrees like thataround here and they look awesome. It has become a competition i think.

I don't think there are 200,000 lights on the tree in the picture. Sorry.

Looks to me more like 50,000 which would be five hundred strings of mini lights. If you are serious about doing this project then go after Christmas and buy your lights and save yourself about $600 that can be used for material to make your cords.

Keep in mind that SP2 wire can handle around 10amps of power while SPT1 can handle seven. Each string of mini lights will be between .34 and .37 amps of power. Now you can do the math on just how much of everything you will need.

You can buy the commercial grade mini lights which will allow you to run up to six strings end to end. Those are available at Wal Mart, Lowes and Home Depot. Again if you wait till the day after Christmas you can get them for half price. Except Lowes which marks their stuff to half off the week before Christmas.

Good luck. Oh and I think the clear lights would be your best bet as there are more available than the color and it will be really bright. Should be able to read a nice fine print book under the tree in the middle of the night!

The one thing that you can do to cut down on the amount of extension cords is connect 3 strings together. Connect those 3 strings to a 3 inline adapter (the orange adapters that you can connect 3 appliances or shop tools to) then connect the next two runs of 3 sets into that. Then plug that into the extension cord. That's 9 sets of lights into one extension cord.

Chris

Forget the traditional mini's ...you need to look at lights like the Goden Canopy type where you can connect up to 12 sets and branch out in any direction.

Action Lighting sells different colors...

http://www.actionlighting.com/items.asp?MainCategory=Commercial+Decorating&Sub=Commercial%20Tree%20Lighting

-steveb