Photos of Translucent Bulbs Compared to Opaque Ceramic Bulbs.

Last year I used Translucent C9s and this year I am trying out Opaque bulbs. I really both styles but it seems the Opaque ones really stand out from a distance. They have more color surface area which I think will stand out more than my translucent ones.

Hard to say exactly how I will like them until they are up and running. If you are close to the C9s I like the look of the translucent ones, when you are a few hundred feet away, I like the opaque ones.

c9-green.jpg

c9-red.jpg

c9-white.jpg

doing c7's this year and haven't decided on opaque or not. was worried about paint chipping/fading on the opaques. I was thinking about leaving them up since my husband is giving me a fit about being on a ladder. (He's scared of heights so having him do it is out of the question)

I don't know if one holds up better or not but I put up brand news translucents ones last year and left them up all year long. The red ones where ok but he green ones where all faded and some of them had the paint peeled right off.

Richard we use opaque for the house outlining. Personally I think the color last longer but I have heard people say the opposite. I love how with the opaque lights you get a deep rich color and the blue and greens dont look the same.

All the bulbs outlining my gutters are c9 opaques if you watch my slide show you can see them.( and you can spot the one that is out?)

We have had red and green c9s ever since i was little.

They last pretty well, i dont leave them up all year though. Every year before i put them up i just replace the ones that look faded or have "holes" in them.

The red fades faster than green in the sun. Actually i think that anything red will fade faster than any other color.

a8184 wrote:

doing c7's this year and haven't decided on opaque or not. was worried about paint chipping/fading on the opaques.

It's been my experience in the past that the translucent ones peel MUCH faster than the ceramic type. This is with the "retail store" bulbs. However, the quality of the retail store bulbs has declined in recent years. The quailtyis TERRIBLE now! If you use retail store bulbs they won't last long enough to fade because they burn out so quickly. Last year I ordered bulbs from Action Lighting andonly had 1 bulbburn out during the season. The previous year I used retail store bulbs (mostly walmart). I replaced about a dozen bulbs before I put them up so that all bulbs were working. I had about 18 more bulbs burn out while they were up. There were only 75 bulbs total! I believe that both the paint and the life of the bulb are MUCH better with the professional quality bulbs AND the pro bulbs cost LESS.

TED