Jump to content

My hubby doesnt wanna do our display now...


Recommended Posts

I have been working off and on for 7 months with our show. Now my hubby doesnt wanna do it because hedislikes the neighbors and doesnt wanna make it worse or upset the neighbors on the street anymore and create anymore tension. I told you in earlier posts that we had a few issues with neighbors on the street that dont like the lights and the unwanteds it brings hanging out on our culdesac......

The way i feel, isthat i have always done christmas. Maybe not this big or with sunchronized lights till last year. But i feel its my yard and its my right.

So many people were like "this is so cool" with our Halloween stuff and said they couldnt wait till christmas to see what we had planned, as they really enjoyed last year....

Why should i not have my lights and one true joy in life because of a few Scrooges? Any comments appreciated....

There are not plans not to have it, but still....The fact that he even suggested it.

And im sure he thinks i dont care about his feelings...:(

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would tell him that this is what makes you happy, and that for 2 months out of the year, you would like to do somthing that you enjoy. My parents realized that, and now, there isn't constant nagging when I go and buy boxes of christmas lights.

Tell him that you want to test this year, I'm postive that you will get more happy remarks then negative ones, and he'll see that too.

Good Luck

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks...hes just upset because no matter how hard we try...the 2 particular neighbors are just being petty this year. These 2 women werent friends until about 6 months ago. One is nextdoor to us and the other across the street. We had a problem with one of them since July, and now the other one who had no problems with us...suddenly has issues too siding with the one we havent been talking too...Very high schoolish...

Did that make sense?

We dont get alot of traffic here. A few cars watching at most...But my neighbos even hate the UPS man being on the street...I just dont want them chasing cars away or something if they get near their house...

I have voice overs and stuff to help...Its just personal because they had no issues last year. Nobody blocked their driveway or anything to annoy them. They just say the kids next door cant sleep with the lights on and that it brings people who dont belong here...here...

Cant people just find better stuff to complain on? I mean were not drug dealing, killing anything, hurting anyone....mean people s**k!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If everyone and or everything would shut down Christmas stuff because of complaints of the loud few then the silent majority would already have stoped having Christmas.

JMHO

I would have the show. Seems that I remember a post by you where you said the you hubby liked buying computer stuff. What if the neighbors found something to complain about having to do with that? Would he stop that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

snowlovergeorgia wrote:

Thanks...hes just upset because no matter how hard we try...the 2 particular neighbors are just being petty this year. These 2 women werent friends until about 6 months ago. One is nextdoor to us and the other across the street. We had a problem with one of them since July, and now the other one who had no problems with us...suddenly has issues too siding with the one we havent been talking too...Very high schoolish...

Did that make sense?

We dont get alot of traffic here. A few cars watching at most...But my neighbos even hate the UPS man being on the street...I just dont want them chasing cars away or something if they get near their house...

I have voice overs and stuff to help...Its just personal because they had no issues last year. Nobody blocked their driveway or anything to annoy them. They just say the kids next door cant sleep with the lights on and that it brings people who dont belong here...here...

Cant people just find better stuff to complain on? I mean were not drug dealing, killing anything, hurting anyone....mean people s**k!!

Man, you could be describing my situation. Neighbors that claimed they had no problem with the lights for the first few years suddenly turned on us. We went through mediation with the city, made some major concessions, and they claimed they were satisfied and would deal with it. That did not happen -- and we don't speak, wave, or have any dealings with them anymore (not something I'm particularly happy with). Last time Cathy tried to talk to one of them ended up in her being screamed at for about 10 minutes about how evil we were and how we were going to burn in hell for our blasphemey.

So what's my point? You need to decide if you're going to let these types ruin your display, or not. Chances are they're not going to like you no matter what you do. I'm seriously not happy with our situation but I'm not moving, it appears they're not moving (this will be the third year since the city got involved) and I'm convinced we could throw all the lights in the trash and never do a display again and they still wouldn't speak with us...

-Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me the biggest problem would be how to afford the electric bill cuz them lights would be on all night long. Why don't unfriendly neighbors just mind their own business? I don't talk to most of my neighbors and I could really care a less if they liked my show or not. We get lots of people in front of my house. I know it doesn't help your hubby situation any but you need to convince him somehow or other. How can you have christmas without christmas lights????

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies....

Tim: I got the most out of your response. Im not moving and giving in. My husband thinks its uncomfortable to live here, and at times it is. But thats only if they are all outside and we wanna leave and go somewhere. Besides, its not all the people on our street.I just think there are certain people that are always "picked on" for whatever reason. You know...the cheetah alwayspounces on the weakest gazelle.

I think our situation falls into the category that we keep to ourselves and are not into the social thing going on on our street...Plus, My daughter is 15...and not 4 or 5 like most of the kids here. I dont consider myself weak because i dont socialize with them. I feel Its our choice. There are some people that leave their christmas lights on all night, or till very late here....and ours stay on for 4 hours only. 6 to 10pm. Big deal. I mean if someone cant deal with 4 hours...then they really are just doing it to harrass and nasty and should be ashamed.

I actually feel sorry for them that they cant just enjoy the lights...

Link to post
Share on other sites

snowlovergeorgia wrote:

I think our situation falls into the category that we keep to ourselves and are not into the social thing going on on our street...Plus, My daughter is 15...and not 4 or 5 like most of the kids here. I dont consider myself weak because i dont socialize with them. I feel Its our choice. There are some people that leave their christmas lights on all night, or till very late here....and ours stay on for 4 hours only. 6 to 10pm. Big deal. I mean if someone cant deal with 4 hours...then they really are just doing it to harrass and nasty and should be ashamed.

I actually feel sorry for them that they cant just enjoy the lights...

Again, your situation very much parallels ours. There are young families with kids down the street from us, but our immediate, troublesome neighbors across the street have grown children. It would be nicer if some young families who could appreciate the lights would move in, but the people right across from us built the house back in 1978 or something so they probably aren't leaving soon...

It should also be noted that the house immediately adjacent to ours is wonderful neighbors. They're an Asian family that doesn't speak much English, but they've been wonderful to William, and actually brought us a frozen turkey right in the middle of our display last year so I doubt they hate us :)

-Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could join in on the complaining!!!!!!!!

Complain about people who don't decorate for Christmas. Say it makes the neighborhood look terrible, and that a houses not decorated at Christmas actually make you ill.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::]

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain also. Please don't cave to these people on the subject of your Christmas lights. You pay your taxes and mortgage and unless you signed something in the way of neighborhood convenances you have the specific right to put up your display. I looked up the municipal code for my area and Flowery Branch and as far as I could see you have no problems. If they had the nerve to say something to your face I would politely tell them you will do as you please for as long as you please and that they can like it or lump it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I never have to deal with neighbors like that! I don't know what I would do. I know we've all invested a lot of time and money in our displays so I personally would not give in to anyone,but I would try to compromise with people.

Our problem is having the Police Department almost in our back yard! Past our back property line is theirs. So we always see them around and they're always driving by during our light display/show or parked across the street inthe auto body parking lot. This makes me nervous because they aren't normally there any other time and I don't know what they're doing or thinking or waiting for! This year when I bake, maybe Ishould takea box of cookies or a basket of fruit and candy to the PD!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Valerie wrote:

I hope I never have to deal with neighbors like that! I don't know what I would do. I know we've all invested a lot of time and money in our displays so I personally would not give in to anyone,but I would try to compromise with people.

Our problem is having the Police Department almost in our back yard! Past our back property line is theirs. So we always see them around and they're always driving by during our light display/show or parked across the street inthe auto body parking lot. This makes me nervous because they aren't normally there any other time and I don't know what they're doing or thinking or waiting for! This year when I bake, maybe Ishould takea box of cookies or a basket of fruit and candy to the PD!

I had similar feelings -- we live near a fire station and the police hang out there. They also are known to join the "line up" of cars viewing our display.

We had some very minor theft last year, and I called the police. The officer told me that they loved the display, and they couldn't imagine anyone vandalizing it... They also said that he and many other officers liked to park and keep an eye on things, just to make sure everything was safe and running smooth.

With our neighbor issues, and the city's involvement (although the city was reasonably supportive through the whole thing), this was a huge relief.

-Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only hope they are just sitting there passing time and enjoying the display. I guess I'm one of those people who thinks "but what if". I wonder if he's there waiting for an accident to happen so he can tell usour lightscaused it or anything negative like that. Maybe I should just not worry about it.... but that will be so hard to do! lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Valerie wrote:

I can only hope they are just sitting there passing time and enjoying the display. I guess I'm one of those people who thinks "but what if". I wonder if he's there waiting for an accident to happen so he can tell usour lightscaused it or anything negative like that. Maybe I should just not worry about it.... but that will be so hard to do! lol

If you're not breaking any laws, your lights can't "cause" an accident. Maybe some ambulance-chasing bottom-feeder would try to say that in civil court, but not a police officer...

I think a number of people here on PC have had traffic accidents in front of their place (fortunately not us) and as far as I know, didn't have any liability issues...

-Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats good to hear.... so if (God forbid) someone gets hit out here, we have nothing to do with it. This will help this year if they are sitting in the parking lot again. But at the same time I have to wonder if it makes the people stopping feel uncomfortable to.

Sorry Snowlover...I got off track here. I would try to do a compromise withhubby and forget the neighbors! Just like I should ignore the police sitting across the street.:?All we can do is try right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im bringing joy to many people....and the few who are haters are just gonna have to get over it for a few weeks...If the worst we do is put up decorations, and bring some fun...they should consider themselves lucky to have neighbors like us...

I feel my husband always wants to cave in and give in and gets to upset, and these people feed on that stuff.....Im not gonna be nice and bake them cookies and kiss b**t...cause i didnt do anything wrong...

Were not doing anything illegal....I mean pettiness gets you nowhere..

I honestly think they dont like the attention we get...and it isnt that much either....

Link to post
Share on other sites

snowlovergeorgia wrote:

Im bringing joy to many people....and the few who are haters are just gonna have to get over it for a few weeks...If the worst we do is put up decorations, and bring some fun...they should consider themselves lucky to have neighbors like us...

In as polite and humble of a manner as possible, I tried to tell our neighbors that. The previous owner really let the place go downhill... never used a weedwacker so there was grass literally several feet tall anywhere her large lawn tractor couldn't get (a lot of places on this property...) She had dated brown awnings over the windows, painted the front door a bright barbie pink... And that was just the outside... We spent thousands redoing the place: put in a new entry door the first week we were here, we removed the awnings, replaced the deck, replaced the cracked-up driveway, added a large fountain to our 'natural' pond, keep the yard up, etc. etc. I told them if they could deal with us for 1 month we'd be extra-good neighbors the other 11. They didn't buy it.

I feel my husband always wants to cave in and give in and gets to upset, and these people feed on that stuff.....Im not gonna be nice and bake them cookies and kiss b**t...cause i didnt do anything wrong...

Well we tried that route, and they told the city we were trying to "buy them off".

Were not doing anything illegal....I mean pettiness gets you nowhere..

I honestly think they dont like the attention we get...and it isnt that much either....

In our case they've admitted as much -- called us attention whores. Which was ironic because especially back then, we got little attention as well...

Well after this post I'm going to lay off the neighbor vents. It's a little theraputic but who knows, they might be reading this. Not that I really care...

-Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...