Do you cut off all the tags on your strands and extension cords?

Do you cut off all the tags on your strands and extension cords?

I do.

It is crazy! I have been opening packages of minis to find 4 labels on the start of the cord and 2 labels at the end. Some of them are a good 2-3" long. They drive me nuts! They have separate Spanish and English labels.

They pack so much information on them that the type is so small you can barely read them. I know they have to do this for liability reasons but it seems like it is getting out of control.

I do the same thing for extension cords.

My entire display does not have a single label on any cords or strands of lights.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add that the tag is useful for identifying energy saving vs. super bright lights later on. If you cut it off, be sure you know how to identify what you have, because the replacement bulbs are not interchangable...

-Tim

Ponddude wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:

I'M TELLING!!:laughing:

Greg

Greg,

Do you have the # for the Mattress Police?

If not I can post it here, I think it is still in my address book somewhere.:laughing:

PS As I can I remove from the cords, as there is no Cord Police.......YET.....:]

I'm with you on this one Richard. I cut the tags off also, and definitely find it time consuming this year. Especially with 3 tags in English and three in Spanish per strand. Plus, as you mentioned some of the tags are longgggggg....Geezzzzzz they could have saved all that paper and glueand lowered the costs a wee bit to the consumers. I know, I know...I need to wake up, I'm dreaming again.

I never used to cut tags off till they started putting so many on them. All the HD lights I bought last year have 7 tags on them and all the HD LED lights have huge tags that hang there like a sheed of paper. I filled a waste basket just with tags from all the light strings I've opened this year and I've filled a 30 gal. barrel 3 times with all the boxes from the lights.

I think it's just another symptom of our obsession.

Matthew Peterman wrote:

I never take mine off, I'm too lazy. They usually fall off after a year or two anyways...

Actually in my experience, these things never come off (with the exception of the silver ones sometimes). The white tags seem to be built better than the light strings themselves... I swear you'd break the wiring before the tag trying to pull them off without cutting first...

-Tim

i cut all off except for the small silver ones because if they get recalled you need to have the lot # on the cord to identify them. At $10 a box for leds if i have to send back 25 sets i want a refund for them besides u cant see that little silver one at night anyways but the white ones gotta go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Pidliskey wrote:

CUT THEM ALL OFF!

Now with our "politically correct" nation, I must have more than 6 tags of different languages on my cords.

We'll assume for the sake of argument that you speak native Apache or Seminole or Pocatella or Lenape or Cherokee or (well, you get the idea.)

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. :shock:

Edit: But I DO agree with the "Cut them all off" part! :]

John Pidliskey wrote:

CUT THEM ALL OFF!

Now with our "politically correct" nation, I must have more than 6 tags of different languages on my cords.

Good thing nobody is telling you that you have to learn their language then! Now if the tags were only in Romanian, then you may have a point...

Most of my tags are still on, but I have taken some of them off. Not really sure why.

On the subject, I have about 4000 tags for sale. All have been carefully removed with a neat, clean cut.

Also if interested, I have about 1000 of those wire twist ties I'd be willing to part with, along with about 500 2-packs of fuses. If interested let me know....

I leave them on.

I use the condition of the tags to give me a pretty good idea of how old the set is.

I have some sets that are a decade old and I use the tags to keep track of it all.

I do the same for extension cords.

Also, you can write on the tags with a sharpie.