I would like to make a few trees from tomato cages. I was going to put two together for added stability. I noticed from reading here that some of you use a tripod type frame. How do you fasten these down so they don't blow away. How can I fasten down the tomato cages? Living here in WNY the wind always blows and mostly quite hard when it snows. Lots of lake effect snow. Thanks.

The tripods people just stick in the ground (that's what they're designed for, only usually to hang wreaths). We use the tomato cages, and use landscaping staples to hold them down. Works very well...

I used a larger, thicker cage than the cheapo ones (something like $1.20 each vs. 45 cents...) They hold up really well. I use the cheapo ones for my tomatos, and doubling up might actually be a good idea if you use those...

-Tim

You may want to check out

http://www.christmasinkent.com/HowToMinis.htm

I am just getting into more eloborate displays. In the past I tried a single tomato cage and didn't like the triangular shape. I am thinking of trying this method.

Just a side thought here. Don't forget to go to all the enthusiast's links listed in Planet Christmas. It has given me a lot of great ideas.

Brian, I noticed that you put garland on them. I do that for my trees for inside, like my big tomato cage tree and coat hanger trees. I was thinking of just putting the lights on the tomato cages outside.

Cajun, I am not real experienced, but when I saw how the cages were triangular I did two things. 1. Doubled up on them and 2. Used wire to reinforce to make them round.

The garland also helps with that.

You spoke of lathe, am I going to be able to pound this into the ground. I am a 62 yr old female.:D

My husband is in a wheelchair and I fasten two down last year on his steel ramp with those plastic ties or bands. They worked fine there, but wouldn't work in the grass.

thanks

p.s. With just normal lighting, nothing fancy for now, do I need one extension cord for each tree or can I do the three string thing?

Brian, in the foreground of your picture, you have some kind of stake that looks like it has a hole in the top that you have run mini lights through to make a 'fence'...

can you tell me what that is?

Also, I don't know what 'lathe' is.... I guess I thought it was a woodworking tool.

Thanks,

Kathi

I guess what lathe actually is, is the boards that would run across the inside of a wall that would hold all the plaster in the days before sheetrock. I'm not sure what else it's used for. You can buy a bundle for around 8 bucks I think. It's 4ft lengths about 1 1/2 inches wide and 1/4 inches thick.

The stakes are lathe cut in half with a sheetrock screw partially screwed into the top to hook the minilights onto. They surround my entire yard. My arm was plum wore out pounding in the 100 or so stakes this week.

Cajun Cheesehead wrote:

You may want to check out

http://www.christmasinkent.com/HowToMinis.htm

Wonderful link, thanks. I am still confused though as to why we cut the cages rather and just put them together and stagger the joints. Sorry, could be the female brain. :laughing:

nycousin wrote:

That sure makes sense, thank you. I am not sure if I am strong enough to cut the wire, but I will try one and see.

Easy way is to use bolt cutters such as the one in the first photo. Borrow one from friends or family. Or Home Depot sells a 2' long one for about $20.

Easiest way, my personal favorite......power tools!:D

Cutting the cages is for aesthetics, and involve more work. Look around at pictures on this website of mini-trees and decide which version you like.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the tomato cages this year for my mini trees also. At Home Depot/Lowes/Etc. they have poultry netting. It's like chicken wire, but made out for pretty strong plastic. Also, the "joles" are much smaller. It took some time to wrap around, but it cuts easy with scissors and really gets the round shape I was looking for. It's a whole lot easier to work with then metal chicken wire or welding/soldering more supports around it. Zip tie the poultry netting on and zip tie on some lights.

I would add a picture, but my camera is broken. I can add one in a few days if anyone would like.

Chris

ernurseguy wrote:

I used the tomato cages this year for my mini trees also. At Home Depot/Lowes/Etc. they have poultry netting. It's like chicken wire, but made out for pretty strong plastic. Also, the "joles" are much smaller. It took some time to wrap around, but it cuts easy with scissors and really gets the round shape I was looking for. It's a whole lot easier to work with then metal chicken wire or welding/soldering more supports around it. Zip tie the poultry netting on and zip tie on some lights.

I would add a picture, but my camera is broken. I can add one in a few days if anyone would like.

Chris

Chris, please do post a pic when you can! I am very interested in seeing how they look.

Kathi

katelynal wrote:

ernurseguy wrote:

Chris, please do post a pic when you can! I am very interested in seeing how they look.

Kathi

Kathi,

I tried to post a picture, but even on the lowest camera setting, it still said the file was too big. I have posted pictures to our website www.leonelights.com (which is still very much under construction!!). Sorry it took so long to get these to you, our camera broke and the new one just came today.

By wrapping them with the PVC poultry netting, I was able to get them about 6' tall. Each is wrapped with 400 lights (white). There is PLENTY of room to add more lights, I just don't have the extension cords this year.Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris

Chris,

If you are running XP, go to the Microsoft website, and search for 'powertoys'. Download the 'image resizer'. Then all you have to do is right-click on a picture and select 'resize pictures'. It will make a copy of your picture and create ajpeg small enough to post here.

Kathi,

I tried to post a picture, but even on the lowest camera setting, it still said the file was too big. I have posted pictures to our website http://www.leonelights.com (which is still very much under construction!!). Sorry it took so long to get these to you, our camera broke and the new one just came today.

By wrapping them with the PVC poultry netting, I was able to get them about 6' tall. Each is wrapped with 400 lights (white). There is PLENTY of room to add more lights, I just don't have the extension cords this year.Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for thinking of me during this busy time!! I did go to your website, but got the error below - don't sweat it though ... I have enough unfinished projects to last until next year now :laughing: I'll just bookmark your site and check in from time to time to see how things are going. I bet the trees look awesome and I am looking forward to seeing them.

Kathi

Error Your request could not be processed. The following error has occured:

HTTP: 451 Unauthorized: Key Invalid Description: Unauthorized request: Invalid key(I'm using Firefox)