clips to use around a window

I wanted to put lights around my big window on the front of our home. I don't know how to attach them. I am sorry that I have so many questions, but Christmas is my favorite holiday and I don't know how to do these things. My husband is in a chair now and as far as around the window, he doesn't know how to do that either. I know not to use nails in the siding.:laughing:

what kind of siding do you have? Do you have wood or Vinyl windows?

If you could send a pic. that would help.

I usually use staples to hang my lights, But this year I'm trying something new and I'm going to make a PVC frame and attach my lights to that, then mount the PVC frame to the window.

I am pretty sure it is vinyl siding, but wide board looking, like five inches or so. I see that to show a pic I have to have a url, so as soon as I can get one into photobucket or somewhere I will try to post one. Thanks

I am alsoin a brick house withaluminum windows...andthere is avery little edge there to work with. Also can use no nails, staples, or screws.

So over the years Ihavetried different things.Here are some suggestions that might work for you.

SuctionCups on the windows....yes they will hold the stings but they will not be rightagainst the ledge due to window frame.I try to get the lights as close as possible to the ledge.They do make really small suctions cups for this purpose and use plenty of them. Use a tiny bit of oil on the suction cups...I usually just spray a little Pam on a paper toweland wipe it around...this will help hold the suction cups in place for the whole season especially in the colder weather.

Spring Tension Rods...measure them in place on the windows, tight as possible...pull them down and wrap your lights around them. Then just put them back up. Depending on how many lights you use...you may or may not still see the rod in the daytime.If this bothers you and you want tocover the rods for a nicer look...wrap some garland around them. Also make sure you have the lights toward the front...and/or sides...so when you put the rod back in place you can put it up closeto the window.The cheap ones at Wal-Mart work just fine for this.

You can also make frames (wood, pvc, whatever)that hold them in place and tuck right inside the window...there is a place that sells frames for putting lights inwindows...sorry I can't rememberwho it is.If you search around on here you can probably find it and also some other info on this subject.

If you look in placeslikeHome Depot, right in with the Christmas Lights, you can usuallyfindsome kind of sticky back things that you can use. Oneyear I used the ones with the Velcro that you hook your lights into the one side...and the other sidegets stuck on your window, brick,siding.Now they did work...but were a pain to get off after the holidays. So I watch out for anything that is sticky back anymore...too coldat that time of year...taking stuff down...to be worried about getting off something that is stuck to the window or brick.

nycousin,

Here is another option, it's called Up-N-Away. Itis a unique, new patented system that makes holiday light decorating easy. It allows the user to hang exterior decorative lights in minutes along rooflines and eaves, around garages, doors and windows or on patios and gazebos. Using UP-N-AWAY Track for holiday light installation is faster, safer and provides a far more attractive system than using staples, cuphooks, nails, screws, etc. The product is a complete, ready to install kit that consists of track, track connectors, clips, cam locks (tighteners), an additional section of track for storage, and installation screws. The track permanently mounts and can be easily painted to match existing décor. The track is small and inconspicuous. It can be attached to wood, metal, vinyl, stucco or masonry. The track connectors are provided to assist with alignment during installation. The clips snap on the wires of the owner's current holiday light strings. The rounded top of the clip slides into the track and by sliding the clips along the track, the lights are pulled into place. The cam locks are inserted into the track and turned which locks the light strings tightly in place and holds them straight. When the lights are removed, the clips are pulled in reverse and slipped onto the section of saved/uninstalled track so they can be stored tangle free and ready to go for next year. The storage track can be conveniently stored by hanging in a garage or closet. UP-N-AWAY Track provides a fast, easy, simple to use, attractive way of hanging exterior holiday lights and an even simpler method of removal and storage. It can be used for multiple season holiday lights including Independence Day and Halloween or other special occasion lights. Here is avideo on thierweb site showing how easy it is to deploy.

http://www.up-n-awaytrack.com/video.asp

Steve

Thank you Mary Jayne, Sneaky Pete, and Steven. Sounds like some wonderful ideas. I will have to see what is available around here for me.

Sneaky Pete, I don't understand what you are hooking the clips on at the window?

I don't think the tension rods will be long enough, but I will check them out at Walmart.

Steven the link froze when I tried to watch the video and I had to reboot. Will try it again later.

:happytree:

Here is the picture that was requested. Would love suggested of how to decorate the ramp as well. I did garland and lights along the top rail last year with a couple coat hanger trees and one tomatoe cage tree.

HMMMM I used the insert image, where is my pic?

Ok so that is like my picture window...large in center...two side windows...only mine is framed in brick.

Sois you don't want to nail, screw, staple or install anything,the small suction cups for lights would work, cost is cheap...bunch of them in a pack...look for themaround where lights are sold...they don't show up as they are clear and verysmall...if you place them right...you will get a straight line, if that matters to you.

or like someone else suggested...put them up on the inside...unless like me you have marble windowsills and can't nail,screw, staple anything to those either.

Also if you want to put something in the center like a wreath...suction cups come in large for them and they also come with a magnet that goes on each side of the glass.

Thanks for all the replys. I think the suction cup idea will work well.

Now for a follow up. How is a good way to hang lights around a collum? I have a collum that again I dont want to put any holes in. I am not quite sure what its made of though. Its fairly solid and painted. I want to wrap lights around it like a candy cane. Any thoughts?

I am a little concerned about the suction cups as we have such high winds with the cold and snow. I appreciate all the responses though to my thread and if you can think of anything else as to how to do this, please let me know.

I will also let you know how I do it and what will work. I was thinking of going from the shutter as was suggested, but how would I keep it from sagging as it is a pretty good span across.

You people are wonderful for your suggestions and help.

nycousin wrote:

I will also let you know how I do it and what will work. I was thinking of going from the shutter as was suggested, but how would I keep it from sagging as it is a pretty good span across.

I will probably duct-tape the lights along the top of the window to reduce sagging.

jfelix wrote:

I hae used electrical tape in the past along with the suction cups. To be honost the electrical tape works well. And you can usually buy it in colors to closley match what you need it to.

Your in Georgia though and you dont get much if any Snow, Ice and wind. Its not uncommon here in Nebraska in Dec and Jan to have temps near 0F. I am concerned about suction cups sticking and tape sticking. adhesives in general do not like cold.

LiquidRetro wrote:

jfelix wrote:

Your in Georgia though and you dont get much if any Snow, Ice and wind. Its not uncommon here in Nebraska in Dec and Jan to have temps near 0F. I am concerned about suction cups sticking and tape sticking. adhesives in general do not like cold.

Exactly, that is what I am thinking as well. The suction cups and tape don'e even work on the inside of the window here, just too darn cold. The person who invents the right thing for cold weather could become rich.:laughing:

Well we get cold here and did have a lot of wind last year...though snow seemed to pretty much leave us alone last year...and that is why I use the oil on the back of the suction cups to help them stay in place....push firmly...actually have to pull themto take them off as it does make a nice seal...and because of the weatherthat is also why I use lots of suction cups. Learned a lesson on here...that you always use more than you think you need...like with hanging lights on gutters...always use more of the plastichooks. The suction cups I am referring to are small ones that the wires or lightsjust hook into, not the ones with an openhook.

Now because of the cold...tapes don't do well here either...though I did have some luck with packing tape and it is invisible. Though hate having to get the sticky stuff off after the holidays.

I have shutters and windows on my shed...and I just draped the lights around andbehind the shutters and usetwist ties to hold in place (though my shutters are different than those pictured)...since I am not supposed to put any nails, screws, or staples in anything...and then once again used suction cups on the windows. Not once did I have to go out and fix them.

I think what you have to do is try things out for your area and see how they work. Go into the stores and see what is out in your area. You might find something that will work for you there. Sometimes it is a matter of trial and error before you find what works for you.