Weird Looks this weekend?

I know we are a big (but small compared to population) community here on PC, a group that is fired up to put up lights every year...I had my first big weekend of putting lights up, with perfect weather here in the NW. We live in a residential area but on a street that gets a fair amount of traffic during the day, and I can't tell you how many people were saying things yesterday "It's too early to get started", some even laughing. I don't quite know how to respond to them each year. These are the same people that spend the most time at my display! Anyhow, anyone else get those strange looks from people driving by???

When people ask you if it is too early, just tell them that you would rather put lights out early, in nice weather, than later (when it can be crummy weather).

That is what I told everybody this past weekend and they were quick to agree with the reason.

(Special thanks to Carrie Sansing for posting this on the CC forum).

I started this past weekend, only 1 neighbor who also decorates big time said he has a whacko for a neighbor, I know he was just teasing though. I had several ask about the lights on halloween. They are looking forward to seeing them again.

Peggy

Dale W wrote:

When people ask you if it is too early, just tell them that you would rather put lights out early, in nice weather, than later (when it can be crummy weather).

That is what I told everybody this past weekend and they were quick to agree with the reason.

(Special thanks to Carrie Sansing for posting this on the CC forum).

Exactly. I've been hearing this for years, and it's ironic because I'm a stickler about not lighting up too early or going too late.

All I have to say is "Gotta get it done while the weather's still nice", or "Better to do it today in a sweatshirt instead of in 3 weeks when it might be in the singles" and 90% of the time, they'll say "wow, I should go home and do mine". The rest usually just nod and agree. I've only had one person in my whole life continue to protest after that comment (and my assurance that we don't light up until after Thanksgiving...)

-Tim

I've been getting weird looks... but then again I started early October because I can only do a little bit each week. Mainly it's people in cars driving by pointing and laughing and I imagine they're saying, "I wonder if he knows what date it is?!"

Some Russian guy came up to me over the weekend and said, "MEDDY KREES-MAH!".... something about that so early in the season just seemed funny.

I don't really mind. The neighbors remember how much there was to do from last year so I figure they realize that I just don't want to cram it together again and rush myself.

Yes, I pulled the weather card this weekend...it was nearly65 and sunny, and has been for several weeks here in Oregon. I did tell one person (of about 10 that stopped) that I was taking advantage of theweather. But I'll have to keep using that, its a great idea.

Typically, I have to put on the rain suit and take a lot of breaks in the garage! This was the first year of really good weather in early November that I can remember,but its all about to change. More positive news,my neighbors who normally don'tput out lights, are asking me for help and suggestions...its great!

Why do people even feel the need to actually say something like that to someone who is working on his own property?

I can't think of any other situations where I could be doing something in my yard and people will question why?

Mark Hilgenberg

Why do people even feel the need to actually say something like that to someone who is working on his own property?

I can't think of any other situations where I could be doing something in my yard and people will question why?

Mark Hilgenberg

Mark Hilgenberg

i have had sort of the opposite reaction in the last two weeks. i usually hang my lights at night from about 7 pm to 12pm, and i have had about thirty cars come by and ask when the lights are turning on, and a few were dissapointed they weren't on yet:shock:. i have also had 2 police officers stop to see how things were coming along, funny, they never seem to patrol the neighborhood until the lights come on??

i also had a guy come out of nowhere on a motorized scooter, get off and snap pictures and leave ( i have alot of the lights on when i am putting them up, it helps to see and i don't have to use floods)

so it looks like the excitement is building

bob

One of the police officers in our neighborhood mentioned to me last year that they fight over the swing shift over November/December for our area, because they get to see all the lights. It's funny (but also extra added security).

Its great to log on here and see other people going through the same thing though!

I had a few comments and used the weather response. Interetingly that started a wave and now half of my block is done with their decorating. Of course for me I had to start early to make sure I can get everything up in time.

Last weekend was the eaves, roof and a wall that I cover. Total of about 14k lights. This weekend it is time to reassemble the mega tree. Thats when I really start getting the long looks from people ;)

For the past week and a half (since my halloween display came down)people have been asking me when will i start puttting up my lights. I tell a few of them I have been busy inside going through my lights. I think people also know I am getting ready because my lights in my workshop are staying on late into the night. I am also seeing people slowing down in front of my house looking for any actvity. Most people dont see me putting anything out because I do it during the day(everyone is at work) or late at night past prime driving time.

We have been hit by a drought for som time - and when it comes time to start putting up my lights - it's pouring down (can't complain really - but raining for the past week!sheesh)

Anyways, yesterday was a fine afternoon and I got started. Not long afterwardsthe neighbours were out with beers in hand helping me out. I live in a great place.

I also had passers by wanting to know the start date, if the radio station will be on and can I make it more powerful because people 1/2 a kilometre away can't listen to it.

It put a smile on my dial. (face)

Like I said - I live in a great neighbourhood.

Cheers

Our houseis on a corner with a STOP sign. We always get lots of looks and finger pointing. I get a bit self concious sometimes, but considering how much time it takes to do everything, it's amazing we don't start earlier.

Last weekend was the big push. We started Nov 2 by just doing thewrap-around porch items like the 3-color garland on the columns, icicle lights and rope light and rope ornamentson the railings. Nothing on thelawn yet.

This past weekend on Sunday was the big push, with icicles on the roof, and 90%ofeverything that goes out on the lawn. If someone passed by on Saturday evening and then on Monday morning, they would have thought an ExtremeMakeover: HomeEdition Christmas Special was just taped at our house.