Weird Looks this weekend?

Fitz

New to the site....I recently moved...Had all of my blowmolds in the basement, then the sewer backed up....Since this site is family friendly, all I'll say is YUCK.

You do really get some strange looks washing poop off blowmolds in the middle of April in your front yard (btw, all my stuff was ok, the biggest loss was ALL the original boxes to my train collection, the trains themsevles were fine, as they were either on the layout or shelves, BUT this isn't my railfan forum, so I'lll stop on that...)

As part of this disaster, I hastily stored my meagher blow-mold collection in my storage shed, which needed to be cleaned out...I took them all out, gave them another bath (I'm wiggy about things that got poop on them!) and set about creating my list of repair parts as well (some things didn't move that well...)

I did get a weird look from our neighbors, who dreadfully strike me as just a strand or two people....Or even worse, athiests! (I had a devout godless person in a former neighborhood who flipped me off once...Just made me pray harder for his soul!)

I go up the day after Thanksgiving, my wife does that psychotic early morning shopping thing, and if I let her spend money, she doesn't complain about me bringing in a theatrical crew to decorate the house (I'm used to doing large decorative things in a small time span, so it works for me...)

• 1 month later...

I got alot of beeping and fist pumping/thumbs up this year. We have to start the day after Halloween, we usually stay up really late halloween night after the last Trick or treaters come by and take down all the halloween stuff, its like Xmas eve for us. We getsuper excited and cant wait. We usually have the mega tree up sometimemid october bc its 30ft 40K light and 256ch.We work 8 to 10 hrs a day fromalmost every day from Nov 1 right up until thanksgiving. And the kick off is Thanksgiving night.

• 2 weeks later...

Dale W wrote:

When people ask you if it is too early, just tell them that you would rather put lights out early, in nice weather, than later (when it can be crummy weather).

That is what I told everybody this past weekend and they were quick to agree with the reason.

(Special thanks to Carrie Sansing for posting this on the CC forum).

exactly what i say every year

and oters start because they are pressured by their wives who saw me out there

telling their husbands cause they complain about weather

• 2 weeks later...

The neighbors across the street say that every year to me. I guess they don't understan how long it takes to put eveything up, even though they live right across from me and been watching me put lights up at the same time for the past eight years. I put the lights up myself and they have 6 people helping them so it's going to go faster for them. That's why they can start later than I do.

We start physical installation of the lights on November 1st. It takes2 1/2 weeks to get the display hung and wired correctly.

Thanksgiving night is our first night in operation. There are several thousand people who come to walk around our island at night during the 4 day holiday. Only a few people ask why so early? What kills meare my neighbors begging me to turn the lights on for them for a sneak peek, before they are electrically connected.

It's odd, Thanksgiving night is when a awful lot ofislanders in addition to visitorsjust happen to be on our street walking around at night - - NOT. They want to size up the competition.

We have been getting looks from neighbors because we are buying stuff for next year And sorting stuff in totes and all They are still coming buy and saying how they liked the lights. And most of our display is static . We are planning on going Lor this year . We are thinbking of buying that 32 channel lor starter kit . Is that A good way to start??

Thanks

William

promustangman wrote

. . . We are thinbking of buying that 32 channel lor starter kit . Is that A good way to start?? . . .

Chuck Smith said it best: Crawl, Walk then Run. Like many new programs, there is a steep learning curve. Once you get to that magic point in the learning curve, things make sense then you start to cook.

Your neighbors will be really impressed when they see the computer synchronized show.

ryanshow wrote:

I started out with 32 channels, but then again, doing light design and sound engineering is my job :]. i'd reccomend going 16

:laughing:lol Thats what i was thinking . I was explaining this to my wife and she suggested the 32 Channel.

She wants me to do a appox 15ft mega tree with all the effects..

I am not gonna argue..:waycool:

You all are such die-hards. And I think it's great. I think alot of people don't realise how much time and effort it takes to get things set upjust right. Especially when you have a large display. I add a few more outside lights every year, I still don't have that much and can get away with doing it around Thanksgiving. But I loving Christmas as I do would never stop and stare or ask questions. The sooner the better with all Christmas lights and decor is fine by me. And I can also relate to some of the members posts in this thread. Living in Montana it's easier to start early vs. waiting until it's minus -25/30 out.

Annette1990 wrote:

You all are such die-hards. And I think it's great. I think alot of people don't realise how much time and effort it takes to get things set upjust right. Especially when you have a large display. I add a few more outside lights every year, I still don't have that much and can get away with doing it around Thanksgiving. But I loving Christmas as I do would never stop and stare or ask questions. The sooner the better with all Christmas lights and decor is fine by me. And I can also relate to some of the members posts in this thread. Living in Montana it's easier to start early vs. waiting until it's minus -25/30 out.

It is usually raining on me in late Nov and Dec So the last 2 years I start the week before halloween putting up my c9 light strips that I use on the front of the house, I put orange lights in for Halloween, red, white and blue for Veterans day ,Then its a matter of sending my "Santa's" helpers out to change out the c9s to our red, white candy cane Decorated house For Christmas!! ,I have been playing around with that Christmas light Planner Trying to Figure the "best Bang" for next year. Still Havent done anything for 4th of July but I am getting inspired by looking at the videos .

:waycool::waycool: