Making your extention cords

Since each channel can handle 8 amps max, depending on the run length, 16/2 extension cords can be a bit overkill. I will be converting some of my runs to home made cords next year. Things like 4 channels for 1 north pole or a cord for 1 led ropelight snowflake. I like the idea of smaller cables, easier handling and the fact they are not orange!!! When you are wiring something like a megatree....that is a LOT of wire and you can customize the run length depending on where your controller is. I can see store bought if you need 50 or 100 feet, but if you need say 30 feet and multiple feeds to one item....makes more sense to make your own and bundle them or use those multi contact plugs like they use in aircraft wiring bundles. Cuts down on the amount of extra cable you have to hide too

One question on the vampire plugs or other plugs you use. Are they pretty water tight or do you cover with something like liquid rubber (stuff you dip tool handles in) to seal them?

I have the chance to pickup quite a few new brown 15' 16ga brown extension cords (molded ends, etc) for $2/ea. At that price, you can cut them in half and just lengthen them to whatever you need and have a pretty cheap cable.

If anyone else is interested.... I can pickup some extras too. Just shoot me a PM

RJTexas wrote:

This is 114 extenxion cords the hole is 6"X10". This is the main reason I use spt cords.

Nothing says "Manly" like a hole bored though brick with 114 electric cords coming out of it! ;)

Nice.

I think I'll go make one just for show. :]

Edit: But I'm a little disappointed in the condition of the cables. Does nobody here (other than me) practice good "cable combing" techniques? :(

schristi69 wrote:

One question on the vampire plugs or other plugs you use. Are they pretty water tight or do you cover with something like liquid rubber (stuff you dip tool handles in) to seal them?

They are not water tight but don't worry about it. If you try to seal them up what will happen is that water will get in anyway and then won't be able to get out. Even if the water doesn't flow in, condensation will build up on the inside. When that happens it will not dry out for quite a while.

TED

RJTexas wrote:

Chuck wrote:

Edit: But I'm a little disappointed in the condition of the cables. Does nobody here (other than me) practice good "cable combing" techniques? :(

Chuck all but 8 of the 114 are made up in wire harnesses and hang in the garage.

I scold my employees when the don't coil the cords correctly. My cords are expensive!

ChuckHutchings wrote:

RJTexas wrote:

According to the Electrical Inspector you now have to derate your cords by 90% for power carrying capacity since you have bundled them :}

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Here are a few shots of my cables. This one is my boxes that are mounted on the walls.

post-233-12957101376_thumb.jpg