Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Joseph Ayo

Getting old

I donno been doing my displays in one form or another since I was 14 yrs old with only a slight break in my early 20's...

Last night I was hot glue gunning my chasing lights on the house, some 2000 ft of strings and it occured to me.... darn I sure had a lot of patience in my younger years. But then again it only used to take my 2 days to put the lights on the house, last couple years its taken me almost a week...

Anyone else out there finding display seemingly becomes just a little more difficult to put up as each year goes by?

:) Gosh, it does seem to be getting harder every year for me too. I wish we could turn back the clock, lol. If I could only get some of my family interested enough to help me, I'd be happy. It got worse year before last when I fell off the ladder and broke 2 ribs. I just wanted to give it up then, but I had just went the day before and bought a bunch of lights at the after Christmas sales. So, I put those lights up last yr but I hate ladders now, of course, lol.

shirlR. wrote:

:) Gosh, it does seem to be getting harder every year for me too. I wish we could turn back the clock, lol. If I could only get some of my family interested enough to help me, I'd be happy. It got worse year before last when I fell off the ladder and broke 2 ribs. I just wanted to give it up then, but I had just went the day before and bought a bunch of lights at the after Christmas sales. So, I put those lights up last yr but I hate ladders now, of course, lol.

Well one thing making it more difficult is, well we just had the hotest October on record, the October weather was indistinquishable from August, 91 degrees right up until day before Halloween, didnt have not one cold front, then November 1st came and now what a shocking change for us, all of a sudden after having no cooler then 75 to 77 degree nighttime lows, we plunged down into mid 50's at night and it seems colder then it ever was this time of year. Good thing is, hot glue cools and sets faster, last year we were in a warm spell at the time to glue the lights to the walls and I had to stand around forever holding the lights onto the walls for the hot glue to harden... in the mid 50 degree weather, only have to hold it up for about 30 seconds so I am actually making better progress then in the past 2 years.

Hi Joe...

I am 79 years old and it seems that it always been hard for me to setup my display. I have to do everything by myself.

Last year that meant more than 100 trips to my 3 sheds and more than 100 trips in and out of my home.

Cold weather and time are my worst enemies, but it's worth it.

Bob

Using hot glue onthe lights? Ive never heard that one before....Does it peel the paint off?

I am only 37, but i can tell you with health problems and stuff...it does get harder to do the lights. Heck, just the bending and stooping causes aches i never had before...

But as long as im alive and my health allowsi will have lights and decorations done...

Getting Old?

Joe, you are only a spring chicken smile.gif

George and me are reaching 60 so it does take its toll a bit.Next year should be better asIam retiring and will have more time.George will then only have to do anything that needs a ladder to put up.We live in a bungalow so thats not hardto do.

BTW- We are in your area (St Petes ) from this Saturday . Didnt like the news of the Temperature dropmad.gif

Linda

The other day I was climbing onto a tree I have climbed before and back off, because I no longer felt comfortable do so. That is the first time. I cut limbs from a ladder instead.

I still feel fine on a ladder or roof. No problem there.

Michael B

What happens with the hot glue depends on the glue, the paint, and the substrate. I have heard that it works well on brick, but I have not yet tried it. On painted plywood I had no issues taking down my Halloween display where I had cords hot glued in place. On flat painted hardy plank and rough cut trim boards, the hot glue sometimes removed parts of the substrate... Never once peeled the paint from the substrate.. Either the hot glue came of clean, or some of the substrate came away with the glue and paint... Might not have been an issue if the paint were closer to a gloss sheen.

- Kevin

-klb- wrote:

What happens with the hot glue depends on the glue, the paint, and the substrate. I have heard that it works well on brick, but I have not yet tried it. On painted plywood I had no issues taking down my Halloween display where I had cords hot glued in place. On flat painted hardy plank and rough cut trim boards, the hot glue sometimes removed parts of the substrate... Never once peeled the paint from the substrate.. Either the hot glue came of clean, or some of the substrate came away with the glue and paint... Might not have been an issue if the paint were closer to a gloss sheen.

- Kevin

In my case its paint over stucco (concrete product), the glue gun stuff is no worst then tape, about 90% of the time the glue pops off the paint with no damage, 10% of the time it takes the paint off but since glue spots are about 1/2 diameter, its not too much to keep extra paint on hand and touch up as needed. For that matter I am pretty good with maintenance and paint the entire house every couple years (we need it in Florida, so wet and mildewy).

I find a pressure washer is just as likely to chip off paint here and there as well but the glue gun is no maintenanace during the holiday. I have brick stucco and tried brick clips and no residue leaving postal tape, both let go and you have to go tape more or reset brick clips, for me the glue gun is the way to go.

FYI, glue gun wont stick worth a darn to vinyl siding, but the tape that leaves no residue on paint- WILL leave residue on the vinyl and sometimes the paint sticks much too well to it.

Ithink it gets harder because every year I try to outdo my self plus after having my third knee surgery last spring the cold really is starting to hurt...but silly me no pain no gain (LOL) but it is still worth it just mean more motrin at the end of the night

chris03852 wrote:

Ithink it gets harder because every year I try to outdo my self plus after having my third knee surgery last spring the cold really is starting to hurt...but silly me no pain no gain (LOL) but it is still worth it just mean more motrin at the end of the night

I think its because I am becoming a lazy old buzzard and get off my lazy a$$ and get the job done.

I have had knee bursitus and I still climbed up on the roof with a swollen and totally inflamed bursitus knee before, but it seems the bursitus hasnt bothered me now in about 5 years.

At 36, I am finding new aches that I never had before. I used to rip through setup in two days over Thanksgiving, now I have to start months in advance, and take the whole Thanksgiving week off to finish.

Why is it that everything comes down much quicker than it goes up?

I agree with Chris. Every year I try to outdo last year. It is crazy. Three years ago, I had 15,000 lights. Last year I had 30,000 lights. This year we are putting up 60,000 lights.

My wife thinks I have gone crazy. I am starting to agree (because the little voices said agree).

Ken