I bought a bunch of 300 ct icicle lights from Lowes this year for my eaves. The box clearly says that you can connect up to 3 sets end to end. After opening the box, I noticed that the lights actually consist of 2 sets of 150 ct strings. Nowhere on the box or on the instruction sheet does it mention how many lights can be connected, it just says 3 sets. Does this mean I can connect only 3 individual sets 150 x 3 (1.5 boxes), or can I connect 6 individual sets 150 x 6 (3 boxes)?

Another trick that sometimes isn't obvious is to run your power to the middle of your run, and go both directions from it toward the edges of the house. You can now legally have 6 strings with only one power feed, and as others have mentioned, can sometimes sneak a few extra as well.

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

Another trick that sometimes isn't obvious is to run your power to the middle of your run, and go both directions from it toward the edges of the house. You can now legally have 6 strings with only one power feed, and as others have mentioned, can sometimes sneak a few extra as well.

That is a trick I have used every year. But since the box of 300 ct lights says up to 3 sets can be connected, would you connect 900 or only 450 since each 300 ct set is really 2 150 ct strings?

I guess I could just try it and see if the fuse blows with 3 full sets connected.

Cetacea wrote:

That is a trick I have used every year. But since the box of 300 ct lights says up to 3 sets can be connected, would you connect 900 or only 450 since each 300 ct set is really 2 150 ct strings?

I guess I could just try it and see if the fuse blows with 3 full sets connected.

My guess is that they mean strings (150 lights). The box just happens to come with 2 of them.

You're probably fine connecting all of them, though, and the fuse will protect you from a real safety hazard.

-Tim

I've usedlights packaged like that for the last two years and have had no problem running 900 lights/6 strings together. The other icicles I have were 300 count per strand, and I never had any problems with them, either.

I'd try it and keep an eye on it-

Kristal

Cool, sounds good. I did hang 3/300ct sets last night and they are all plugged in together. I have not turned them on yet, but that is what I'll go with. I have a lot more to do on both the upstairs and downstairs. This weekend is going to be nothing but putting up lights.

My main concern now is getting the LOR controllers in time. I ordered them last Friday. I have heard they can take up to a month for delivery, I hope that is not the case.

I've always hung (3) 300 ct sets without a problem

Last year I bought (6) sets of commercial icicles - you can connect 6 strings

I put these on the front of the house & head in each direction 3 strings

Then I use another 1-2 strings on each side to go up the sides of the house

The commercial also have the female connector on the back of the male connector

So it is much easier to piggyback strings or add other items

I've included my 36" Santa face in the icicle light rin - 13w CFL bulb