? on tomato cage mini tree

We just used single cages:

www.plymouthlights.com/ropetrees.htm

With mini's, wrapping a cage or easel tightly will not result in a round tree, which others have tried to fix with various solutions, including the one you link to (others have used chicken wire, etc). With the rope light we used, the rope stays pretty round even though the underlying structure isn't. And lots of people just don't worry about the "pyramid" shape and consider that part of the design aesthetic.

-Tim

I wrapped mine with lighted garland I bought from Walmart on clearance after Christmas last year . Not only does it make it look perfectly roundthey look great day or night.

At Lowe's they have 60' of non lit garland for something like $6that would work great combined with a few strings of minis. Your total costwould be roughly $10 each maybe less.

The one thing that I have been doing is making tomato cage trees. I use two, but haven't cut any before. If I can borrow some bolt cutters I might try it. But putting two together and alternating where the parallel braces are makes the tree more round. The garland does work well as was stated to make it more round, but it really isn't bad with it if you use two. I believe from the road it would look fine. I also make coat hanger trees. They need garland though.

I used 2 tomato cages for each mini tree to give it added roundness, but most importantly, more strength. I found that many of the cages that I bought had welds that would break upon handling, so I doubled them up, offsetting the vertical wires to help keep everything rounder. I made about 3 cuts per tree, one on each of the bottom 3 rings. Then I used wire ties to hold everything together good and strong.

D.T.