So I was up on my roof today putting in some C9s. I lost grip of my bucket with about 50 C9s and watch them go bouncing down the roof and on the driveway. The sound of that many C9s popping when they hit the ground made my heart sink.

post-2452-129571009963_thumb.jpg

ChuckHutchings wrote:

As a guy, I'm sure there was a little voice deep down saying "That was SO COOL!" and secretly hoping it happens again.:laughing:

I was a little bummed that I actually didn't get to see the C9s hit the driveway. I only got to see them go down the roof and off the edge.

RichardH wrote:

So I was up on my roof today putting in some C9s. I lost grip of my bucket with about 50 C9s and watch them go bouncing down the roof and on the driveway. The sound of that many C9s popping when they hit the ground made my heart sink.

Don't feel bad Richard... I had a bin full of C9 Strobes up on the roof last year. Before I could grab it, down the roof it slid. It hit the gutter tipping the bin over sending the strobes onto the sidewalk. Of course the empty bin stayed safe on the roof.

I spent most of the rest of that day repairing strobes :(

Only a true Christmas fanatic would, in response to dropping 50 C9's, climb down the ladder, go inside, find the camera, load up a flash card, come back outside, take a few shots, go inside, download them, fix the size, and then post to Planet Christmas.

I know this because that's exactly what I would do too. :)

Chris

clafournaise wrote:

Only a true Christmas fanatic would, in response to dropping 50 C9's, climb down the ladder, go inside, find the camera, load up a flash card, come back outside, take a few shots, go inside, download them, fix the size, and then post to Planet Christmas.

I know this because that's exactly what I would do too. :)

Chris

LOL, you are so right!

Well I have cleaned it up. If you have ever tried sweeping up broken C9 Christmas light bulbs on cement, you know how how it is. The slight curve of the glass really likes to grab the ground. I ended up getting the hose and washing them into a pile which seemed to work better than the broom.

I only counted about 30 of the screw bases though and to my pleasant surprise, my gutter caught about 20 of them intact! :) I only ordered an extra 25 of each color so hopefully I will have enough still.

Mom's house, where I've installed C9's for years, has a brick front. I've always taken delight in smashing the burned out bulbs on the front of the house and listening to them explode. It's driven her nuts for decades (she says she has to pick up the shards in teh spring :)) but I've always told her that's the price of me doing the lights for her :laughing:Besides, I dont' think she really picks up the shards in the spring, they kind of get eaten up by the flowerbeds...

-Tim

I have about 750 C7 bulbs on my roof. Buying just replacement bulbs instead of bulbs in strings is waayyyy too expensive so I've been paranoid of taking them up in a bucket. Instead, I struggle with a double wal-mart style bag. It is truly a pain to get to the bulbs when the a breeze is blowing, but also almost as hard to accidently dump all of them. Both methods stink, so I'm always wondering: how do the pros carry their bulbs?

markm wrote:

I have about 750 C7 bulbs on my roof. Buying just replacement bulbs instead of bulbs in strings is waayyyy too expensive

Really? I've always picked them up at 75-90% off after season for Mom, sometimes by the bagful :)

-Tim

Richard, you are so creative. Next years 'leaping lights' is going to be bulb pieces on the driveway! Hmmmm......how tomodify a tator twister to throw bulbs.......:D

Seriously, be thankful it was the bucket and not you falling. Be careful!

Daniel wrote:

My guess is that the filament is all twisted inside from the drop and on power up, they will get very bright and hot then burn out, all within 60 seconds. Thats my guess...

At least they're C9's. C7's can actually cause a short circuit due to this and blow the fuse. I've had this happen plenty of times with blowmolds tipping over (and I don't even use that many blowmolds).

-Tim