Photos of my Aspen Tree with 5700 Lights.

What a day. My trees have grown quite a bit and they are taking a lot more lights than I thought. I am so glad that I bought about 400 boxes of Lights last year after Christmas because I am going to use almost all of them.

Last year my Aspen tree only took 3300 Lights (1100 of Red, Green, White). I just got down with this tree and it took 57 Strands for a total of 5700 lights. Whew! When they are all plugged in, it pulls about 19 amps. This tree is going to be nice and toasty this winter.

I had a little mishap though putting the lights up on the tree. I was using my 16' Orchard ladder and to balance it out I had the left side on some small wood blocks. Bad Idea! They have a slippery surface and you can see them in the photo below which was taken about 20 mins before my "incident". I was all the way up the ladder fixing a red bulb on the very top when all of a sudden the ladder started falling to the left. My feet were at 12' above the ground and I had to bail from the ladder. I hit the ground and rolled as gracefully as I could but hurt the ball of my right foot. There was intense pain for about 5 mins and now it just a little sore. Took a break for about 10 mins and then started on the tree again. Any higher and I could done some serious damage. What happened is the wood blocks shifted under the ladder and there was no longer support on the left side and the ladder went that way. Scary feeling!

Aspen-Tree-Hanging-Lights.jpg

Here are some pictures of the tree.

Almost done, just a few more to go!

aspen-tree-02.jpg

Finished with 5700 lights

aspen-tree-01.jpg

If those Aspen tree's keep growing you may have to go LED to get the amps down. My mega tree will have 5760 lights on it pulling about 20 amps. I am planning on converting it to LED to get the amps down. Thanks again for the Bethlehem star plans. I got it on my roof this weekend and it looks good.

bowenrichard wrote:

If those Aspen tree's keep growing you may have to go LED to get the amps down. My mega tree will have 5760 lights on it pulling about 20 amps. I am planning on converting it to LED to get the amps down. Thanks again for the Bethlehem star plans. I got it on my roof this weekend and it looks good.

Glad you where able to make the Bethlehem star. People seem to really like it and it is bright with the C9s.

If i want to expand in the future, I am going to have to go with LEDs or get 400 amp service. This year, I am at about max.

Guest johnny christmas

i live on a hill and theres not a SINGLE even spot to place a ladder...simple solution? a 2x4 and 2 C clamps...even out the ladder by extending the one leg thats not touching the ground...worked GREAT on my roof with a 32' extension ladder (see pic for the roof im talking about)

DSC00325a.jpg

johnny christmas wrote:

i live on a hill and theres not a SINGLE even spot to place a ladder...simple solution? a 2x4 and 2 C clamps...even out the ladder by extending the one leg thats not touching the ground...worked GREAT on my roof with a 32' extension ladder (see pic for the roof im talking about)

Wow! Pretty Intense set up you have there!

Good idea on the 2x4 with C clamps, I will have to try that. I was looking at some Ladder Leavers that you can put on your ladder but they are like $100.

:)Richard, that tree is beautiful !! You are lucky you didn't break tour neck falling from that far. I don/t think I would have the nerve to get right back up and try it again. I fell from a 6 ft ladder year before last and broke 2 ribs which was very painful. I am still scared of ladders. Be careful!!!

Now THAT is how you wrap a tree! Kick butt, Richard. Awesome to go to that much detail.

As far as the fall, way to man-up. Get back on that horse and get it done, I say.

Then again, I'm the idiot who duct-tapes injuries shut to stop the bleeding until the job's done. :)

Charlie

Push Eject wrote:

Now THAT is how you wrap a tree! Kick butt, Richard. Awesome to go to that much detail.

As far as the fall, way to man-up. Get back on that horse and get it done, I say.

Then again, I'm the idiot who duct-tapes injuries shut to stop the bleeding until the job's done. :)

Charlie

Thanks! I have been limping around today and bruised the bottom of my foot pretty good. I don't have time to stop though. Just have to suck it up and get this thing up!

Oh I forgot to mention that I did not use a single extension cord going up in the tree and did not break the "3 strings" rule.

What I would do is start with a string at the bottom and go up the middle of the tree to the very top and then spread out. After I attached two more strings, I would start with another one on the bottom and come up the tree again and repeating this as I filled up the tree from the top down.

Some manufacturer's make ladders with adjustable length feet. They are used for working inside of stairwells where the feet are on different stairs. They might work for you on your hill. Make sure that the feet pads can swivel enough to fget full contact with the sidewalk then for sure get someone to stand at the bottom of the ladder for safety reasons even if you have to pay them to do it.

JellyTheory wrote:

Hi Richard,

I was wondering if you could tell me how many channels and lights you used for your mega tree last year and if you plan on changing anything on it this year (light and channel wise).

I hope your foot begins to feel better!

Thanks!

-Chris

9600 Lights Total

32 Strands for White, Red, and Green. Last year was 8 Channels for White, 4 each for Red and Green. This year, Green and Red will also have 8 Channels so I can spin those colors more smoothly.