how many Amps does it take to make a PC member happy?

chris03852

I'm green with envy. Call me Grinch!!!:]

I only have a 100amp panel for the whole house. Last year's display pulled 40-45 amps. Didn't run any appliances at night!!! :shock:

Decided to invest in LED's instead of an electrical upgrade. I don't think I will pass 20-25 this year.Ihave a few rope light stuff thatuses amps.Still might upgrade electrical next year, want to add central A/C.

110 amps here. 4 - 20amp breakersinstalled last year, and 2 - 15amp breakersinstalled this year. All of them are located right by the basement window. I prefer running cords out the window, that way if a GFI trips, I don't have to fumble around in the rain or snow to figure out which one tripped. I can just walk to the basement.

Available--- I have 400amps --- this year looks like I will be using about 90~100amps for the display with about 20,000 LEDs and about 25000 minis.

Lost a Hard Drive Sunday night but I was lucky and only lost one song that I was almost done with.

Just starting on the setup and feel like I am way behind.

Don't want the kids driving by and yelling where are the lights? So, time to get to work.

I have a 400 amp panel on for lights alone, mind you the house panel has 400 amps as well. The lighting panel is sub to the main panel.

I run 34 20 amp circuits out to the yard, with all the lights on full it draws about 90 amps on each leg total of 180 amps.

But average load when the show is running is 60 amps.

160 channels, 80,000 lights and several other items.

Ok now that’s something 400 amps :shock:well well I have to say I’m a little a shamed of my 60 amps. I am planning on upgrading to 200 amp service this summer and have 100 amps or better just for next years lights. 400 amp man that’s dedication, that’s something to brag about:laughing::laughing::laughing:. I’ll pull mine back in shame.:(

I have 200amp service which really gives you 400amps at 110v as long as you balance your loads arcross both legs. Because you should not run everything at more than 80% that gives me 320 amps at 110V. If everything in my display was ON it would take 290amps only leaving about 30amps for the house which is not going to work.

Because of this, I never plan on having every single light in my display on at any moment. It is not really a big deal though since almost everything in my display has Red, Green, and White lights. If I every need a moment when I need a big WOW, I just turn on all the Red and Whites. Turning on the green doesn't really add a whole lot more "brightness" and I save a lot of amps.

I don't plan on adding more lights to my display for next year but may add more channels to have more control. I am pretty happy with how many lights I have now.

oldcqr wrote:

Mr Owl... How many amps does it take to make a PC member happy?

The world may never know....

I was scrolling through to see if anyone else said it - haha, beautiful.

Well... happy... the world is not enough? But I typicallyget by with between 100-150 amps. However, as I do my display at my family's office out town, and the seafood company next door is a good family friend and has a 1200 Amp backup generator that has been generously offered, I don't really consider electricity a limiting factor anymore, as they are more than happy to set that thing up to push the display. One advantage I've had before they installed that was the fact that my display was at an office, and during the night no one is there, so there was little sharing that had to be done between inside and out. But now... heh... I doubt highly that I'll ever have a large enough display to make that generator even break a sweat!

Currently I am in the overkill mode- 400 amp dedicated exterior panel with its own meter and another interior panel with another meter of which I could use 200 amps. Realistly, I max out at 400 because that really is enough. With the advent and transition to LED's, I could light up my entire block.

Maybe this summer will be when I lay the underground wiring from the panel, then I won't have all those energy losses to the long extension cords.

6 - 20 Amp circuits 4 on a roof top gable and 2 in the eaves on either side of the house

1 - 15 AMP circuit built in when the house was built (seemed like enough at the time ;)

1 - 20 amp service from the pool pump station

1 - 15 amp from the BBQ island

1 - 15 amp form the outdoor outlets.

So potentially 185 AMPs for me. Though I only draw about 135 at peak. If I could afford it I would switch everything over to LEDs and run the whole show on 20 AMPs :)

Guest johnny christmas

this is what im putting in the garage for next year :P

seriously though, i did a test last night and i was over by the meter at the end of the song seeing how long it took the disk inside to do a complete rotation and the lights got stuck ALL ON and froze making the disk spin like crazy...good thing that doesnt happen in real shows (i was running a test through the sequence editor which likes to hang up while controling lights)

stateofmi5-29-03-wh-%284%29.jpg

johnny christmas wrote:

this is what im putting in the garage for next year :P

You know whats kind of funny... is that I work for a large power company now (Dominion)... wonder if I could talk them into donating my own small power station... That looks like a good picture of what they may give me...

Unfortunatly, I'm in my 2nd month of working in the IT department. Looks like I'll have to wait till next year for that...