Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Help - which size lights should I use?

Well, my roofline is a pain in the butt, so I've yet to put lights on it. However, I'm thinking about renting a cherry-picker/lift this year, and I'm curious what size bulbs you all would recommend. I typically like smaller lights, so I'm leaning toward C7's.

I would like to maybe use LED's too, but in order to get the lights to look right with my peaks, etc I was going to leave many of the bulbs out of the outlets in order to just light the roofline edges. So perhaps I need to use regular bulbs?

Also... what method do you find is best (and most cost effective) for attaching them? I have some area that have no gutters, and plenty of areas with gutters as well.

Attached is a shot of the front of the house...

Thanks!

post-6795-129571011038_thumb.jpg

C7s and C9s would look great, but will be very expensive. They also eat a lot of power. Your house is beautiful.

Maybe someone else can comment on leaving the sockets empty....I've heard it's a bad idea to do that. Some say they put dead bulbs in sockets they want un-lit.

If you go with minis, I'm partial to solid colors. Maybe all the front lines (white gutters it looks like) could be white. Then, all the roof lines could be green. The window arches could all be green too. And the mailbox too. Just my two cents.

Mnay if us here do our rooflines. I prefer the C9's myself. But to hand the lights I would consider putting them under the overhang (eves)of yur roof.

About the lights that you do not need. there are multiple solutions. One is elctrical tape to cover them up, (two) you could cut sections of wire and solder it in place where you need dark spots. I unscrew my bulbs and take them out, then cover the socket with tape. (probably not the best idea, but it has worked for a couple years now). I do like the dead bulbs idea. May start to do that. If you use mini lights they sell blackout caps as well. just slip them on and no light.

Check out this link:

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum13/16624.html

Thanks.... yea, leaning toward C7's. Not sure how to handle using LED's if I do though. Since I don't want lights showing in certain areas of the roofline. Spose I could cut and solder line in those areas. However, doing that up on the ladder, etc would be a real pain in the butt!

I am going against the grain here. I do ine with rope lights. I use green for the peaks, and red for the valleys. I thought about minis before, but they are too hard to make look straight. With the rope light, you can clip them down every 2 feet or so and keep the line straight. You can wire them up together, and use longer leads where you need dead space. Just a thought. Here is a pic of how my house looks with the rope lights.

post-233-129571011051_thumb.jpg

mnapuran wrote:

Thanks.... yea, leaning toward C7's. Not sure how to handle using LED's if I do though. Since I don't want lights showing in certain areas of the roofline. Spose I could cut and solder line in those areas. However, doing that up on the ladder, etc would be a real pain in the butt!

Might try just covering the unwanted bulbs with electrical tape. That way the string is still good if you ever use it somewhere else.

mnapuran- I used to live in Rockwall with a similar roof. What I did was run clear/red c7's along the eves and straight red c7's along the upper part of the roof. The red looks best up there because it is all dark at night and makes the red stand out. Use the transluscent red c7's to get the best look in my opinion.

mnapuran wrote:

Interesting... not sure I'd like the rope light look, but something to consider. Did you find a good supplier with decent prices? Would like to know more.... always worth looking at other options.

I have always had good luck with Action Lighting, but I also tried another company this year when Action was out. It was 1000bulbs.com, but I just checked and they don't have it at the price I paid. I got 2 150' spools for $99 at the time.

mnapuran wrote:

Well, my roofline is a pain in the butt, so I've yet to put lights on it. However, I'm thinking about renting a cherry-picker/lift this year, and I'm curious what size bulbs you all would recommend. I typically like smaller lights, so I'm leaning toward C7's.

I would like to maybe use LED's too, but in order to get the lights to look right with my peaks, etc I was going to leave many of the bulbs out of the outlets in order to just light the roofline edges. So perhaps I need to use regular bulbs?

Also... what method do you find is best (and most cost effective) for attaching them? I have some area that have no gutters, and plenty of areas with gutters as well.

I think C9s would look best for your roofline because your house is large. You might consider C9son the larger peaks and C7s on the smaller peaks but really I think all C9s would look best. You do not want to have all the sets for all of your roofines plugged together. If you are using fused sets then I would not plug more than 2 sets together. I know the box says 3 is ok but everytime I've done it a fuse blows in the first set. (It will not blow when the weather is nice. It will blow when it is VERY cold and the lights are all encased in ice.) What you can do is run the power to the middle of where 4 sets will go and then have runs in 2 directions. Because you will need to split the sets up at certain points you may find that the issue of leaving out bulbs will not be as big of a deal as you think. If it is you can leave some bulbs out.Because of the reduced number of bulbs,you may be ableto plug 3 sets together without blowing a fuse. I don't know what color(s) you plan to use but if you do multicolor C7 or C9s then remove all the white bulbs because they will make the colors look washed out. Reorder the bulbs in a repeating pattern such as red, green, yellow(or orange), blue. :devil: :happytree: :) :dude: :devil: :happytree: :) :dude: Remember that if you are running from power in the middle of 4 sets the pattern will be reversed on one side of the power.

The best way to install the lights is with plastic clips. You may need a different type to use in different areas (gutters, no gutters, etc). The clips go on each bulb which makes for a very strait uniform line. It makes them look great!

TED

ldybug wrote:

C7s and C9s would look great, but will be very expensive. They also eat a lot of power. Your house is beautiful.

Maybe someone else can comment on leaving the sockets empty....I've heard it's a bad idea to do that. Some say they put dead bulbs in sockets they want un-lit.

If you go with minis, I'm partial to solid colors.

C7s and C9s are not very expensive. A set of 25 is about $5 at most stores. It may cost more than minis but will last longer and be much easier to maintain. Minis would be a royal pain to put on a roofline the size of the one in the picture above. It would be next to impossible to get them strait and uniform. It would look sloppy. Minis are good for filling areas with color, bushes, trees, smaller items, but not great for outlining structures. It can be done but is very labor intensive.

The only danger in leaving a socket open is that some goofball (or little kid) will stick their finger in it and get shocked. Filling them with burned out bulbs is a pretty good idea (except that some may think you have burned out bulbs). A little electrical tape over the socket will work. There are also some little caps you can cover them with but they are expensive and hard to find.

TED

jfelix wrote:

Mnay if us here do our rooflines. I prefer the C9's myself. But to hand the lights I would consider putting them under the overhang (eves)of yur roof.

About the lights that you do not need. there are multiple solutions. One is elctrical tape to cover them up, (two) you could cut sections of wire and solder it in place where you need dark spots. I unscrew my bulbs and take them out, then cover the socket with tape. (probably not the best idea, but it has worked for a couple years now). I do like the dead bulbs idea. May start to do that.

mnapuran wrote:

I'm with Joe on the C9s (in case you were still wondering ;) ) but I do not hang them under the eaves. I don't see the point in that unless you have heavy snows in your area. They look better out on the edges.

Soldering in this situation is overkill. IF you wanted to splice wire into the sets you could just use wire nuts. If wire nuts are PROPERLY installed you can't pull them off. These lights are way up in the air where no one will be able to touch them. No need to waste time soldering in this situation. If you really want to use LEDs then you could use standard C9 or C7 cords and use the LED replacement bulbs. Then you could just deal with empty sockets with one of the methods that have been suggested. The advantage to this approach is that you could probably connect all the sets together with LED bulbs.

TED