Photos of my Mega Tree going up.

RichardH

Put most of my Mega Tree up today. I had a friend and his son come over to help me and I have to say that it goes a lot faster when you have Help.

Below is a shot of me on my new 16' A Frame Ladder. I cut 1' off the mega tree this year so I could reach the top with my ladder and now the mega tree stands 19' instead of 20'. New for this year though is a large snowflake on top so it still stands at 20' if you count the snowflake.

megatree-2007-01.jpg

Below is how I stand up the pole. I pound a 3' stake into the ground about 2' and then use 2 fence pole clamps to clamp the stake to the pole (which is two pieces of fence rail from Home Depot). It is very sturdy and is not going anywhere.

megatree-2007-02.jpg

Even though the base is very solid, having two pieces of fence rail is a little flimsy so I then use guy wire to secure the pole in the middle and from the very top. The photo below only shows the guy wire gong to the top. I use turnbuckles so I can tighten the guy wire if I need to.

megatree-2007-03.jpg

Here is a picture of the tree topper that sides into the pole on top.

treetopper-02.jpg

And below is a picture of my 9 month year old son watching the mega tree go up!

grant-01.jpg

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Looks like another PhotoShop opportunity...You hanging onto the top of the tree with the ladder falling down beneath you. :laughing:

Edit:

"nine month year old" son? Is that some Utah slang thing? ;)

That is kind of funny! I have been working to hard today. :]

Sort of like saying "I spent a week there one night".

Here is your photoshop picture.

darthvader.jpg

i want to know where youre storing that sukker !!

RichardH wrote:

vegas taco wrote:

Yeah it is really nice to use and super sturdy. I got a pretty good deal on it. Normally this 16' a-frame fiberglass ladder costs around $800. I had a local guy sell it to me used for only $250.

what is the base? flexible conduit? I'm trying to lay out my tree now, and the flexible conduit that i got was all coiled up in the box, fighting it to get it to lay flat and make a circle. Any tricks, or specific conduit that works best?

Colin

Very Nice job Richard.

I spent the last three days working on my MEGA tree, I statred with a 20 ft flag pole kit from Sam's, which DID NOT work, it colapsed at the 3rd & 4th joint. So Spent most of Saturday and Sunday on Plan "B" 2, 10 ft sticks of 1 1/2" EMT with a 1/2 stick of 1 1/4" to help strengthen the joint. Pics to follow on my MEGA Tree post tonight.

Merry Christmas

Mark

RichardH wrote:

Put most of my Mega Tree up today. I had a friend and his son come over to help me and I have to say that it goes a lot faster when you have Help.

Below is a shot of me on my new 16' A Frame Ladder. I cut 1' off the mega tree this year so I could reach the top with my ladder and now the mega tree stands 19' instead of 20'. New for this year though is a large snowflake on top so it still stands at 20' if you count the snowflake.

Great looking MEGA. I love the snowflake. I'm been looking for a topper for my "mini" MEGA (by comparison). Where did you pick that up?

Cdshakes wrote:

what is the base? flexible conduit? I'm trying to lay out my tree now, and the flexible conduit that i got was all coiled up in the box, fighting it to get it to lay flat and make a circle. Any tricks, or specific conduit that works best?

Colin

It is PVC Electrical Conduit that I bought at Home Depot. Cheap and easy to work with.