Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Holiday

Anybody here feeling like they're not going to get stuff up by the goal they set?

Will Richards wrote:

do you have any videos i would think that would look good but id like to see it that would be a cool project

Not yet! Don't have time. After the display is running I plan on posting some video of everything.

wirekat wrote:

Good luck all! Remember you can always add stuff along the way and re-tune your

songs as you go.

Yeah there are a few things I am going to do after it is up. I need to make a lot more flood holders for my LED floods so I will be working on those after the display is up.

wirekat wrote:

I need to pull a Richard and get up with the sun.

No time for sleep. I figure you can sleep when you die.

Richard,

Hang in there! Remember, it will be worth it after all your pain and agony.Once you're finished, you'll realize how much joy you will bring toso many people...

Seems like everyone is running late this year. I became the fairly sick with flu the week I was going to start then the weather got really bad for a while here in michigan. Got busy other days. Several things have gone wrong while doing my display. Itis very frustrating but as of tonight I am about 50% done and I had 2 people make sure to tell me how good it looks. I looked at them and laughed and said it was the worst display I've ever put up but its a work in progress. I'm shooting for next weekend to be completely done but of course the weather is getting cold again so I guess we will see what happens. Might just have to accept it and wait until next year and for sure start before Halloween when its still fairly decent outside.

Yikes I forgot to figure out all my network runs. Luckily Fry's had 7' CAT5 for $2.99 and to think I was considering builting them from scratch:shock:.

Man Leaping Light Arches sure use the resources. I had to buy a bunch of 12' cords

to finish them and they draw a little more power than I expected. But they should be

worth it. I just finished the last half to the last one tonight:}.

I haven't set out any of my DC MR16's yet. AT least U have the cords and holders all done:?.

Oh and the new nativity is still sittin there waiting for me to put it out!:P

We are still an entire week late even after seriously cutting back on our task list:

1) Reducing our light count from well over 25,500 to about 22,000

2) Only making Rudolf, not any of the others

3) Not animating the Elf

4) Making only ONE gingerbread house

5) Not making a sign

6) Reducing our song list to 5 OR 6 (down from the planned 9)

Hopefully we will be able to get the rest of the songs programed, finnish the gingrebread house, and install the rest of the lights before Saturday night. :shock:

And there I hear Carl calling ... "bed time" ... just not enough hours in the day. :)

Seems like everything is taking 2x or 3x longer than I expected this year.

I got work off at 10am and have been working on the display. I just walked into the house about 10mins ago and now it is 2am in the morning. Yawn.... I have been working out in the front yard and it is 23 degrees. I am starting to have quite a few people show up wondering when it is going to run.

I got my Wire frame trees running and they look awesome! I wonder if anybody saw them since it was about 1:30am when I had them running. Unfortunately when I was setting one of my wire trees onto a stake I pinched one of my mini lights wires and it cut it right in half. Have to get out the soldering iron and shrink tube tomorrow.

Well time for Bed. Need to get a few hours of sleep.

Lawkid wrote:

Oh yeah.... and I haven't even begun to practice my juggling routine for one of the local New Years parades. After I finish the lights I'm definitely going to have to practice practice practice. Something about juggling machetes in front of thousands of people with no practice and being a little rusty seems like a really really bad idea. :laughing:

I have a suggestion for you. Make sure that you use machetes that are NOT sharp! (No one watching will know!)

TED

I have a suggestion for you. Make sure that you use machetes that are NOT sharp! (No one watching will know!)

:laughing:No worries. I'm not THAT crazy.

They're specially made to look sharp but are dull on the edge. Still though, the pointed ends could easily take out an eye, so practice is still necessary.

Oh.... and still no work actually done. The little bit of work I did with extension cords got undone by the gardener who had no idea why they were laying out.

I'll be lucky if everything is up by next Christmas.

The Display is UP!

Woot!

There are a couple of things I need to hook up tomorrow (like my icicle lights, 3 more wreaths and a few more artifical trees I need to put out) but the traffic is starting to come!

I know that I am looking forward to seeing it Richard. You did a great job last year. Your display is very impressive and has a great WOW factor. I wish I could get that out of mine. I just cannot seem to find it yet. But, I "borrowed" a few of your sequencing techniques from a few of your shows from last year and worked them into my sequences. So that should help.

Care to share some of what to expect in the video?

Reading the board is making me anxious.... I haven't even started yet and I have so much to do. But by the time I get off of work it is so dark I can't work outside (yes I know i would be working with lights). I took tomorrow off so I hope I can get a good start on it all thru the weekend.

I agree with that it is taking longer this year. Even the people who just put a wreath up are not lighting them yet. I blame it all on global worming, but I blame everything on that.

So, here is what global worming has done to me this year. My 43' 10" mega tree crashed into the street, I have resurected it but at nearly half it's size. It still has 12,000 lights on it. Then the only thing I have left is the c-7 lights around the roof line. That should only take a couple hours if I can get on the roof. Well, there is now a nice fresh blanket of snow covering everything. So much for walking on the roof.

Well it looks like I am going to light on time for Satruday. Just have a couple of inflatbles up and vac up a few leaves and clean up the flower beds and get the winter flowers in and mulch then I can tie everything into power. This time last week I didn't think i would make it because of weather, but I am right on schedule now.

I'm sure my neighbors are getting tired of seeing balls of lights and half-put-together display pieces strewn about my yard. Been that way for the past week and a half, at least. I just have a full plate lately and can't seem to get the time to put up more than a string or two a day. Took me two days just to get the icicles hung across the front of my house, and I'm only in a single story, 80' long duplex (40' being my half). But i have a good excuse (well...not really 'good'), so I'm not letting it bother me too much. Besides, in my situation, I'm surprised I'm still putting anything out. :?