sort-of-stealing at Target

cjc2k

Actually, laws vary state-to-state concerning when they can detain and/or arrest you for stealing. In some states you have to leave the store in order to be considered stealing something. In other states, the simple act of concealing merchandise is considered probable cause.

In my state of New Jersey, they subscribe to the latter. If you are in a store, and switch merchandise from one box to another, or place something in your pocket or under your shirt, security or store personal can immediately stop you.

Here's New Jersey's law concerning shoplifting: http://tinyurl.com/3786tg. And to point out the portion that refers to when the crime of shoplifting has been attempted, it's in 2C:20-11 b. 2, 3, 4, and 5, where intention is what matters, not actually leaving the store.

Now In rule #6, they do state that if you are using a shopping cart, the act of shoplifting occurs when you leave the store.

J. J. Purpura wrote:

And what do you do when you get home after buying the 20 boxes of regular minis and when you get home....they are LEDs that somebody switched out (not you though)

That's a tougher one. If it looked like it was done by a customer, and it wasn't a major inconvenience to take them back (like driving 30 miles or something) I'd probably take them back. If it looked like it was a manufacturer error, I'd probably keep them (why? because the error probably happened in China and there's no way anyone's going to get the monetary credit that far up the chain...)

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

J. J. Purpura wrote:

That's a tougher one. If it looked like it was done by a customer, and it wasn't a major inconvenience to take them back (like driving 30 miles or something) I'd probably take them back. If it looked like it was a manufacturer error, I'd probably keep them (why? because the error probably happened in China and there's no way anyone's going to get the monetary credit that far up the chain...)

One time I bought a VCR at Sears and someone had returned this same box but did a switchero and the serial number on the VCR was different from that on the box it came in... the one in box was dusty and showed evidence that it had sat a little while on an entertainment center. Well I took it back and Sears thought "I" was the one that pulled the switchero, but I insisted, man I only just got this 1 hour ago here and took it home and never really even tried to hook it up... as soon as I got home I knew this was not a NEW item... the cord was just rolled in and not all twist tied like it would new from the factory... in the end they swapped it for a "real" new one, we opened box at Sears to verify.

As for LED's, I wouldnt invest in anything but the best possible deals... neighbor purchased 2000 dollars in LED's and now we find out... aside from flickering dimming which is fixable by mixing old incandescent bulbs somewherre on the box,but the stupid lights dont turn on simultaniously... in working with my neighbor's LED's both of us feel like he made a huge mistake trying to do such a large scare conversion to LED's... for me adding 1/4 LED's to what is already loaded with incandescents (partial conversion) is working out much better... we are getting 20% declines in power useage over last year and still adding more lights but they work good in this configuration. Having loads of trouble with circuits that are loaded with 30 strings on each channel being 100% LED. There is a lot to get used to and LED's are not trouble free... for one only the blue and whites look distinctively different. The red and green LED's have a flatter less robust color then the painted incandescent lights and this thing, we have multiple brands and yet ALL exhibit the similar problems with unsynchronized "starts"... not big deal with few lights but when you size up 30 strings of LED's in a row... the problem is much too obvious.

When I was struggling to make ends meet I didn't have many lights

But I bought a bunch of C-9 strings for $1 a piece (10+ years ago)

I'd go every year after Christmas & buy a few things for the next year

I also used to drive around on Christmas Eve to find a tree lot that had trees left with a sign out: FREE

I would then decorate the tree Christmas Eve