sort-of-stealing at Target

cjc2k

I was at target today, in the lights section of course, and another customer there was talking to an associate, it seems that someone hadswitched a bunch of regular mini light sets into LED light set boxes. Pretty smart,--- they were able to buy led lights at mini light prices. So make sure you open your boxes before you buy them! ( i know we all do anyway but sometimes we are in a rush and dont)

Happy Thanksgiving, and Happy Decorating Weekend!!!

Chris

p.s. I do not endorse such actions as mentioned above....................although when i was young, my father would take me to the store to buy replacement C9s. They didnt make solid colr replacement packs back then so we would take all the red and green bulbs out of the multi colored boxes and make our own. :P

cjc2k wrote:

p.s. I do not endorse such actions as mentioned above....................although when i was young, my father would take me to the store to buy replacement C9s. They didnt make solid colr replacement packs back then so we would take all the red and green bulbs out of the multi colored boxes and make our own. :P

:laughing:

Greg

I hate to hear of people stealing, even if it's on'y 1/4 stealing... Just means higher prices and more security BS that the rest of us have to deal with in the future!

On the other hand, that's darn clever!

I know that at the auto parts store the help always checks the boxes for oil filters when I buy them. Not to make sure I'm not doing a switch, but to insure that I'm getting what's supposed to be in the box. I guess it's pretty common with oil filters to take the $8 filter and slip it in the $2 filter box...

cjc2k wrote:

I was at target today, in the lights section of course, and another customer there was talking to an associate, it seems that someone hadswitched a bunch of regular mini light sets into LED light set boxes. Pretty smart,--- they were able to buy led lights at mini light prices. So make sure you open your boxes before you buy them! ( i know we all do anyway but sometimes we are in a rush and dont)

Happy Thanksgiving, and Happy Decorating Weekend!!!

Jason Rose wrote:
I hate to hear of people stealing, even if it's on'y 1/4 stealing... Just means higher prices and more security BS that the rest of us have to deal with in the future!

On the other hand, that's darn clever!

Justin wrote:
Wouldn't the cameras have caught them doing that? Its pretty clever though you have to give them that.

Not only is it 100% full fledged stealing it's WORSE than just stealing the box they wanted. TheTHIEF who did this showed a blatant disregard for the person who might have bought the lights in the LED box not realizing they were just a cheap set of minis. What if that person got home with them and for some reason was unable to go back andexchange them? What if that person didn't notice that they had been switched and then gave the set to someone else as a gift? Did the THIEF care that it may have caused a problem for an honest person who bought the switched set? No! The THIEF is a self centered coward who STOLE with no concern or regard for others.

Many thievesdo not worry about cameras. There are multitudes of shopliftingcrimeson filmin which the THIEF is never caught. Unless someone who watches the tape recognizes the THIEF theyare not likely tobe caught.

Now as for the idea that it was "clever". No it wasn't. Let's assume for a moment that the THIEF actually came up with this idea on their own (which I doubt). What a waste. If that capacity was used in a productive or creative way what might that person be able to achieve? How ignorant to waste one's talent on petty theft. We have many many examples of true talent right here on P.C. In addition to the many beautiful displays created by members we also have quite a few talented and inspiring entrepreneurs who have started up successful Christmas businesses. If you want to see truly "clever" ideas take a look at the success of the many vendors who support Planet Christmas or take a look at some of the projects that members have built for their displays.

TED

cjc2k wrote:

This is a different situation. The bulbs were being paid for. Assuming that all the bulbs were replaced in all that packs which were not purchased then there was no loss of merchandise for the store. If a store employee had been asked they probably would have said it was ok.

TED

Years ago when I was right out of college, I bought a toaster. Got it home, and it was somebody's old, used toaster in a new toaster box.

I returned it to the store, and they eyed me very suspiciously, as if I was returning my own old toaster...

Nothing "sort of" stealing about these situations.

-Tim

Many thieves do not worry about cameras. There are multitudes of shoplifting crimes on film in which the THIEF is never caught. Unless someone who watches the tape recognizes the THIEF they are not likely to be caught.

I have a friend that works for a retail chain and he says most of their theft is done just like that... He actually told me once I would be better off to just walk into the store grab what I want and walk out... Even smile for the guy at the security desk because as soon as I walk past their doors they cannot legally follow me or try to aprehend me.. They however can call the police and tell them what kind of car I am driving plate num etc.. but just park down the block and walk to your car... It's amazing these days what can happen.....

I agree though stealing is stealing...... and very wrong....

tfischer wrote:

Years ago when I was right out of college, I bought a toaster. Got it home, and it was somebody's old, used toaster in a new toaster box.

I returned it to the store, and they eyed me very suspiciously, as if I was returning my own old toaster...

Nothing "sort of" stealing about these situations.

-Tim

I brought some icicle lights after xmas sale, took them out of the box next xmas and they were broken and obviously used for several years. Lost the receipt. Didn't try to return it just because of this. Some pondscum making me feel like pondscum trying to return their junk.

Hopefully karma catches up with these thieves.

I brought some icicle lights after xmas sale, took them out of the box next xmas and they were broken and obviously used for several years. Lost the receipt. Didn't try to return it just because of this. Some pondscum making me feel like pondscum trying to return their junk.

Hopefully karma catches up with these thieves.

I don't think I could ever get the lights back in the box.... All that for $2.... Some people suck.

Rich

This is shoplifting. I've seen people at Home Depot buy a toilet, with handles open in the box where you can shove things into the open hole and get missed by the cashier... YEP, I've seen people shove the tubes of caulk they need to caulk the toilet into the holes in the toilet box...

If they catch you doing this type of thing, its still shoplifting and it is a felony in most states.

Not everyone understands what it means to be a convicted felon even if jail time is not served. In 29 states you loose your voting rights for LIFE after a felony conviction. You are not allowed to own a gun for the rest of your life. You loose many many rights once convicted of a felony and points add up so if you ever get in trouble again in the future, they can come down on you twice as hard because of the shoplifting felony charge. Felons also cannot get student loans, in some states cannot have jobs that handle cash such as cashier, etc. Cannot work at airports, most state, county and federal jobs are permanently OFF LIMITS to you. Some states you are banned from Welfare, food stamps. Convicted felons in the USA are not allowed to enter into Canada... the list goes on and on and on, butjust keep in mind, felony convictions are super nasty and involve SO MUCH MORE then just jail time or a fine and effects you the rest of your life.

Yeah, this is absolutely stealing. Just as bad as when price tags are switched on a product - that's considered stealing also.

In a recent Wall Street Journal article, one of their reporters was describing a recent experience. She went in to a Kmart or some place trying to find a pair of shoes, along with many other things. She found a pair, but not in a box. She found a box, put them in there, then went to the register. Just after she paid for them, security came up and took her to the back. She was caught placing a more expensive pair of shoes into a box with a cheaper price. She tried protesting that it was a complete accident, that she thought the box went with the shoes,and why would she do that to save $5 when she's bought over a hundred dollars worth of stuff. Security said, it occurs all the time. (I'm sure it does, just like in the home depot example above. People can afford this stuff, but hey, if they can get away with saving $5, why not try?!)

She wasn't arrested, but she was told, don't visit the store again.

roadnut wrote:

Yeah, this is absolutely stealing. Just as bad as when price tags are switched on a product - that's considered stealing also.

In a recent Wall Street Journal article, one of their reporters was describing a recent experience. She went in to a Kmart or some place trying to find a pair of shoes, along with many other things. She found a pair, but not in a box. She found a box, put them in there, then went to the register. Just after she paid for them, security came up and took her to the back. She was caught placing a more expensive pair of shoes into a box with a cheaper price. She tried protesting that it was a complete accident, that she thought the box went with the shoes,and why would she do that to save $5 when she's bought over a hundred dollars worth of stuff. Security said, it occurs all the time. (I'm sure it does, just like in the home depot example above. People can afford this stuff, but hey, if they can get away with saving $5, why not try?!)

She wasn't arrested, but she was told, don't visit the store again.

Well Walmart has a bad habit of not having price tags on the shelf, and the thing you want to buy is actually sitting there damaged and tag already removed... such a mess in the store, my cousin once wanted to buy a pair of reading glasses and it was such a mess with 20 glasses with no scan tag... I was with him and he said, well all the others looked dorky but he really wanted the one set of glasses that looked decent (he is lucky his eye glass prescription is exactly perfectly the same as the 1X reading glasses). Well the nearby pharmacist TOLD HIM just pick a tag... and we'll sell it to you for that price... implying... dont get the $19.95 price tag... we'll sell it to you for that $3.99 tag...

The other thing is, recent newspaper articles seem to indicate that 80% of shoplifting is done by the employees of the store! When I was 17 I did night stocking at a nearby grocery store. We were told to each get a milk crate and we needed to wipe down shelves, grab a windex and roll of paper towels off shelf and use them, take the unused portion with us home in the milk crate and return tommorrow with it. Well other guys I worked with went home with more then the windex and paper towels... talking steaks, carton of cigarettes, etc you name it... the cashiers did their own theft.. it was acknowledged and common knowledge throughout the store and even condoned by the manager as long as they limited it to just one item per day!! Then at inventory time at end of each month, they'd tell us about the $50,000 in shoplifting losses that month but that was OK because the grocery chain considered $60,000 in losses to be acceptable so we were considered to be holding the losses down and doing a great job.

Most of the shoplifters don't care about the cameras. The company I work for uses video cameras. I have seen video showing a person taking items and sticking them in their coat or bag, they just look at the camera wave and smile. We turn the video over to the police but nothing ever gets done.

Justin wrote:

Wouldn't the cameras have caught them doing that? Its pretty clever though you have to give them that.

I have a friend that works for a retail chain and he says most of their theft is done just like that... He actually told me once I would be better off to just walk into the store grab what I want and walk out... Even smile for the guy at the security desk because as soon as I walk past their doors they cannot legally follow me or try to apprehend me.. They however can call the police and tell them what kind of car I am driving plate num etc.. but just park down the block and walk to your car... It's amazing these days what can happen.....

Actually, that is in correct. They can legal apprehend you once you step outside the door. The Security has a legal right to detain you. At least this is the way it is in California. To get a good filing on the case, the person has to take the item, walk pass open registers and exit the building. The completes the act. If they just walk pass the registers they can say "I was going back to pay for them, I needed to do...." (whatever lame excuse they can think of.

Stealing is stealing, pay less for an item is just another form.

Once when I was working patrol one night as aReserve Deputy,a person came into target through the Garden Entrance with a DVD box. She sent over to the DVD section, exchanged boxes then went to the return register. She put the DVD player on the return desk, produced a receipt and got there money back. Security apprehended her once she step outside the store.Security also went back to the boxthat she brought in and found it was an empty box.

Theavory is all around and in all kinds of form. Frankly speaking, I don't tolerate it, and always book someone to the fullest amount of the law.

Yeah That's real clever. Take a chance on getting arrested going to court having to pay legal fee's maybe even loosing your job and having your name appear in the police blotter tarnishing your name and reputation alsoembarrassing your family.

All that just to save a few dollars.

I'm a big believer in what comes around goes around.

Wayne Kremer wrote:

Same thing happened to me awhile back. I bought a nice expensive BBQ cover for my BBQ...only to find that someone put in a cheap non-fitting BBQ cover into the box I bought. I was ticked!

That's why I ALWAYS open the boxes at Home Depot (et al) before I checkout to be sure that it's what it's supposed to be and that all of the parts are there.

The sad thing is that it's an even bet that it will either not be the right thing or something will be missing.

Home Depot and Lowes aren't paying for this - WE are.

Can you imagine how cheap stuff would be if people would quit stealing everything?

Just an FYI....

Most shoplifting is perpetrated by the employees, NOT outsiders. When looking at shrinkage (the industry term for the difference between inventory 'on the shelf' vs 'on the books'), nearly 47% is caused by employee theft, and only 32% by 'shoplifters'.The other 21% is either administrative errors or vendor fraud. (source: National Retail Security Survey, 2006)

I wouldn't doubt if these LED's were swapped by an employee in the back room LONG before they were put on the shelf. In any case, it's wrong and whomever it is should be punished.

[line]

Ed:

New Yorkwas the same way. There was no crime committed until the person exited the door with the merchandise. Until then the merch was still (I think this was the legal term) 'in the custody of the store'.

When I worked retail (wayback when), during the holidays we would actually station plain-clothes security just outside the doors. All it took was for someone inside (loss prevention/cashier/whoever) to nod and point as someone exited the first set of doors. As they exited the second set, security calmly detained the suspect and brought them back in. I personally got to do a nod and point at a guy who was trying to steal a $300 synthesizer.

Security LOVED to bust people - this being Buffalo NY in the winter, they wanted to come back inside where it was WARM!

Many years ago (25 or so) I also worked in retail. I worked in the stereo department at a local department store. (Burdines for any of you Floridians.)

One day a guy wanted to buy a "boom box" and I went into the store room and found the last box of what he wanted. When I opened it to check it out it had a couple of bricks inside it.

Obviously an inside job.