Photos of my wire trees with 2800 lights each.

A couple of years ago Home Depot carried 6.5' white wire trees with 1000 lights each. After Christmas I happened to get 10 of these for around $30 each which was a killer deal. Normally they were in the $80 range. Since then I have never seen anybody carry these white wire trees with so many lights. Usually the count is around 400-600 lights now it seems.

These trees were a huge hit in my display last year and I had 9 of them in a row and did all kinds of cool chases and effects with them. Last year I added Red and Green LED floods in front of them to make them green and red when I wanted to which worked out pretty well.

This year I added 900 Green and 900 Red lights to each tree making the total of 2800 for each tree or 25,200 lights for all 9 trees put together. Last year I was lucky to get about 100 boxes of red lights with white wire for only $1 a box after Christmas and it seemed that nobody had the green with white wire. Those who know my story know that I finally found some this year at Rite Aid but they only had about 8-10 boxes per store so I hit about 10 Rite Aids to get all the lights I needed. Had to pay $5 a box which was way more than I wanted to pay. Quality is about the same as the cheap lights I bought.

I only have 3 trees done but thought I would share some pictures. Takes about 2 hours to do each tree.

wiretree-01.jpg

wiretree-02.jpg

wiretree-03.jpg

wiretree-04.jpg

wiretree-05.jpg

wiretree-06.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Cool Richard,

I really loved your display last year and how those trees looked, This year they will be stunning!! I love the color changing effect of your display and your sequencing style with the sweeps of color across. I don't care for the blinky blinky style of some.

I am using your display as inspiration in building ours this year. I built 16 three color Midi ? trees , 5' tall with 700 lightsof each color , I am trying to achieve some of the same effects as you did with your trees. If my display turns out half a good as yours I will be happy. Keep wrapping the rest of those wire trees, Ican't wait to see your display this year with the additions you made.

Tim H.

JellyTheory wrote:

Very nice work Richard! I can't wait to see how everything turns out this year!

When are you planning on turning on your display?

-Chris

When I get done :)

My main goal is Dec 1st, if I get it on before that it is a bonus.

Richard, I called K-Mart with the sku # from my trees and they didnt have any at that store but the sku still worked and came up with the # in the computer so maybe there are still some out there somewhere. I am going to call their dist. center on monday and see if I can get more. If the sku is still in the computers, then logic would be there are still some out there. I will let you know what I come up with.

AIM # is 160668170111

Model # is T3913 = white lights

sku # is 030539681708

RobM wrote:

Richard, I called K-Mart with the sku # from my trees and they didnt have any at that store but the sku still worked and came up with the # in the computer so maybe there are still some out there somewhere. I am going to call their dist. center on monday and see if I can get more. If the sku is still in the computers, then logic would be there are still some out there. I will let you know what I come up with.

AIM # is 160668170111

Model # is T3913 = white lights

sku # is 030539681708

I was at Kmart yesterday at my inlaws house (about 90 miles away) and I stopped by K-Mart and they had green with white wire (my local kmart does not). They where the 2.5volt style though with 200ct on one string. I really don't like those REALLY long strings to much. If you have a problem, you really have to unwrap a lot more.

tHESE ARE THE 1000 COUNT LIGHT TREES. i HAVE A 3000 LIGHT TREE BUT i DONT HAVE THE BOX ANYNMORE SO i CANT GET A SKU #. bUT THE ONES i HAVE ARE THE SAME AS YOURS. tHEY ARE THE 7 FOOT FULL LOOKING TREES. sorry for the caps, my caps lock button was on.

Someone gave me one of those wire trees a few months ago. It's a little smaller than yours and all in green. When I first saw it I said to myself ,Man! this thing is ugly as sin. Then I plugged it in at night and that totally changed my thoughts on that subject. I'm looking to get more. They are beautiful when lit up.

What you have done to yours is fantastic. Great job

Richard,

I have always admired your display and thought it was pretty wild the way you incorporated your 3 colours. Those trees out front are incredibly effective and you do such a great job sequencing them and showing their true colours as it were.

Good pics of the tree...

Your display is awe inspiring....

-Evan

lkcubsrule wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Amen! I can't figure out how to take close ups...my best shot is taking them further away and croppign them so they look close up! LOL

I am just using my $300 Nikon Coolpix Camera. Set it on Macro and used a tripod.