Need a way to fasten C9s to the Top peak of house.

RichardH

Here is my problem. I am doing all the angles on top of my house. I am running 3 sets of c9s (for color changes) at 12" spacing so each bulb is only 4 inches apart from each other. My roof peak is like the photo below.

how-to-repair-a-leaky-roof-3.jpg

The problem is with the clips I am using I have to install the lights a few inches down from the peak so I can use the entire horizontal line of all the shingles.

The problem is from one angle of the house it looks great and from another angle you can't see the lights. I really want to to put the lights on the very peak so you can see it from both sides but the problem is my shingles are not in the right spot where my C9s end up.

I was thinking of putting the c9s on strips of wood and mounting them on the peak somehow.

How are others doing this?

Any suggestions on getting them on the very peak?

I jsut use a standard heavy duty stapler with T20 staples they are 1/2 12 MM stapled right into the shingle. They work really well and you can hang them fast and you can strand the light up. If you are working from left to right place the staple to the right side of the base and pull some tension to the next one, stable to the right of the base and so on. Sometimes you might have to put staples on both sides. Below is a picture of my house using this technique and you can seen them on the top of the house. I do the border of my roof, peaks and valleys. Of coure on the roofline I can use the clips on the lights and slide them under the flashing.

Just look at the very top of the roof. I did that with the staples method and that is how it will look and you notice they are straight and look nice and professional.

s3600172yy7.jpg

This is just a thought that popped into my head.

How about zig zagging the bulbs on each side of the ridge vent or cap.

Place number 1 bulb on the front side the 2 bulb on the back side back and forth all the way down the ridge. You would end up with half as many lights oneach side but you would have both sides covered.

I use staples on my shingles but I use the SHORTEST STAPLES I can get by with!

The ridge cap is really redundant shingles as there's already 2 layers under the 2 layers of ridge cap. As long as you don't get nuts and pentrate clear through to the wood you "should" be ok. Sure, it's not GOOD for the roof, but you have to do what you have to do...

On that note... I'm only holding one bulb per foot... Doing one every 4" gets to be a LOT of holes. I would seriously consider using a wood strip along the ridge for this. Use some metal strap that's heavy enough to be bent and hold the wood in place to basically "saddle" over the ridge-cap, the metal will be attached to the wood strips. Use, say 10 foot lengths and you could basically leave all the lights attached to the wood all the time, take them down and put them up, un-fold them like an accordian.

Jason Rose wrote:

I use staples on my shingles but I use the SHORTEST STAPLES I can get by with!

The ridge cap is really redundant shingles as there's already 2 layers under the 2 layers of ridge cap. As long as you don't get nuts and pentrate clear through to the wood you "should" be ok. Sure, it's not GOOD for the roof, but you have to do what you have to do...

On that note... I'm only holding one bulb per foot... Doing one every 4" gets to be a LOT of holes. I would seriously consider using a wood strip along the ridge for this. Use some metal strap that's heavy enough to be bent and hold the wood in place to basically "saddle" over the ridge-cap, the metal will be attached to the wood strips. Use, say 10 foot lengths and you could basically leave all the lights attached to the wood all the time, take them down and put them up, un-fold them like an accordian.

I also use staples, not too worried about the little holes left by them. Also use 3 different colors and stapling is quick and easy, works well. Take down is also real easy.

Chris in Ct wrote:

This is just a thought that popped into my head.

How about zig zagging the bulbs on each side of the ridge vent or cap.

Place number 1 bulb on the front side the 2 bulb on the back side back and forth all the way down the ridge. You would end up with half as many lights oneach side but you would have both sides covered.

I acutally thought about running another set on the other side.

Richard

I had the same problem with my C7 strings. I had 5 circuits for the C7 lights and the clips i used were home made.

I used the suspended ceiling tile wire. I made the clip to slip under the lower edge of the shingle. you can bend the wire to fit your shingle and then fit the wire to the pitch of your roof and ridge. I didn't worry about the clip fitting the light, I made the clip to hold the wires and when I made the harness for the lights I tie wrapped the light on top of the strings and put the clip as close to the light as I could.

When yo make the string end of the clip bend you wire where there is a loop to hold the strings somewhat tight. Also bend the end of the loop up to allow you to slide the wires in the loop without having to worry about the cut end of the clip damaging the wires on the strings. I made several patterns and then made a jig to produce abut 150 of them. It takes about 2-3 hours to make the clips with a jig.

If I can get a picture of one I will post it here.

Anthony

Richard...I had the SAME predicament. I just took clips and cliped them under the "ridge"...they can only be seen from 1 side...but the backside...who cares! I think I have a picture...

Toplights.jpg

But as seen in this picture...it's not noticeable.

Lights07068.jpg

Here are a few quick and dirty shots.

housetest-01.jpg

housetest-02.jpg

As you can see in the first picture I put lights on top of the small peaks and you can see it from that angle but in the 2nd photo you can not see them.

I still plan on adding them onto the top of the garage but you will only see them from one side.

I am wondering if I should of just done the "Major" outlines and not mess with the little peaks

Nah the staples won't hurt your roof at all. Like mentioned already where you would be using them their is two layers of shingles and the T20 staples are thick but they don't go down deep enough to penatrate through 2 shingles, tar paper and the wood of your roof. If you are then your staples are to large. Besides in the summer those holes close up from the heat. I having been using staples to hang lights on my roof for about 15 yrs and no problem or leaks in my roof. IMO I have just found it easier, cheaper, and faster to use staples then those holders you slide under the shingle. I have tried those before and they just don't look as good sometimes and you have to pry up the shingle to slide them up plus you have to take them out at the end of teh season and store them, just a pain to me. Differnt strokes for different folks though. If you wanted to go the staples route though you would be fine they don't ruin your roof in anway that I have encountered.

legombajs wrote:

Why not have the bulbs going across the roof, and wedge the clips under the very top?

PS- Your house looks awesome!

This would work if I Only had 1 strand of C9s. The problem is I have 3 sets of C9s to run and each bulb is 4 inches apart. Some end of sort of the single and some go way past it.

I am in the process of putting them on strips of wood right now and then have a way where I am going to attache it to the peak.

I'm another stapler.... I can almost guarantee that down here in FL, the small T20 holes will soften and refill in the heat of the sun.... ever been up on the roof in the middle of the day? Those shingles are hot as hell. I use the shortest I can find, which is usually 3/8". There is no way that is puncturing the shingles along a ridge. I did two colors this year, green and red, so spacing was 6".... all with staples...

-Louie in Melbourne

• 7 years later...

This is what I'm planning on doing.  Using 1/2-3/4 PVC run a single line down the ridge then add T-fittings about every 3ft with a 18in piece coming off it.  Then you can place a small sand bag on it to hold it in place.  You run the dog legs on each side or just have them run on the back side.  I'll paint the PVC flat black or gray to match the shingles.

post-18105-0-23132400-1424791727_thumb.p

Here is my problem. I am doing all the angles on top of my house. I am running 3 sets of c9s (for color changes) at 12" spacing so each bulb is only 4 inches apart from each other. My roof peak is like the photo below.

how-to-repair-a-leaky-roof-3.jpg

The problem is with the clips I am using I have to install the lights a few inches down from the peak so I can use the entire horizontal line of all the shingles.

The problem is from one angle of the house it looks great and from another angle you can't see the lights. I really want to to put the lights on the very peak so you can see it from both sides but the problem is my shingles are not in the right spot where my C9s end up.

I was thinking of putting the c9s on strips of wood and mounting them on the peak somehow.

How are others doing this?

Any suggestions on getting them on the very peak?

Try this!  You can get them @ www.cannysystems.com

post-21776-0-57273600-1425311035_thumb.j

Archived