The Coolest Thing in the World! - Flying Santa Clause!

That looks pretty simple to make I am sure. Still really cool, I wouldn't mind making one. Only issue I am not sure of is how you would keep the power cord from the lighted sleigh and reindeer from wrapping around the motor after it has gone around a few times. You would have to fab some kind of bearing device that would allow the cords to rotate freely with the rod supporting the sleigh and reindeer. Other then that I am sure an old washing machine motor would work just back it down the rpms some.

The link to the flying santa is here

http://www.bazillionlights.com/Tech/LightsTechFlyingSanta.html

Texan78 wrote:

Only issue I am not sure of is how you would keep the power cord from the lighted sleigh and reindeer from wrapping around the motor after it has gone around a few times. You would have to fab some kind of bearing device that would allow the cords to rotate freely with the rod supporting the sleigh and reindeer.

That's called a slip ring. The link you posted actually talks about how he built one. You can also buy them premade.

-Tim

I'm glad you like it. I built it a few years ago and for th most part is held up great. The motor / drive is inadequate for wind storms. So I have just recently rebuilt and tested a new unit. It worked great for Halloween!

The motor has 5 times the horsepower and is much more durable. I also made a new set of sliprings so I can do a 3 channel Santa waving / reindeer legs running as it goes around. After I get my display up and running (Dec1) I'm going to start documenting how I made the new one including bill of material etc. I just don't have any time right now for website stuff.:]

Ah, now that I see your avatar, I know exactly who you are. Nice work!

(as an aside, that's why I really like it when people use personal avatars. I'm terrible with names... Heck, even if you want to hide behind a welding mask, I'll at least recognize you ;) )

-Tim