Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Baranouski

What type of timer do I need for this and where on earth do I find it?

Due to time constraints and fear of learning new things... I took the easy way out and purchased a Mr. Christmas Lights & Sounds unit.

Out of respect for the neighbors, I would like it to only come on 3 times a night at the top ofeach hour for about 10 - 15 minutes only. (it will/should showcase the red/green lights that are laying with my static white lights which run on a seperate system).

What type of timer can I get for this function.... to turn the unit on and off several times per night? I have the basic timers but they only allow for one cycle of on/off.

And please please... where do I find out. I would hate to have to pay the kid down the street to sit there and turn it on/off 3 times a night (just kidding...sort of).

I appreciate your assistance !!:tree:

I'm not sure of the amp pull your controller has but a heavy duty garden timer might work. Its a standard rotating timer....(24 hours in one complete rotation and you just insert the platic tabs that turn it on and turn it off at the appropriate slots.

I believe the maximum amp draw that a Mr. Christmas L&S unit can draw is 15 amps.

Another thought is use the X10 home automation stuff. You could get the ActiveHome Pro controller that you program with your computer.

http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.html

Then controll an appliance module with it that turns your Mr. Christmas L&S unit on and off as desired:

http://www.x10.com/automation/am466_s.html

Might be an expensive christmas light timer but it will do what you are looking for LOL!

You might also want to browse their webiste, they often have package deals. It wouldn't hurt to check e*bay either. I got my computer module off Ebay.

Dan

If you get one of those garden timers like suggested above and just buy the extra plastic tabs to set the on and off times for the different times in the night you want it to come on and go off that should do the trick.

I believe I got mine at Home Depot or Lowes. It was about $10. There is a tab for each half hour. Raise the tabs for when you want the display on., press down the tabs when its off. You could have it turn it on and off every half hour.

Yea there are those as well that have them built in like mentioned above. Just make sure it can handle the load you are going to put on it. Most of the time those smaller timers can not handle a heavy load of lights.

When the timer turns off the Mr. Christmas it will turn off all the lights you took the time to set up as well.

I would just keep the music low on the Mr. Christmas and keep it on all night so everyone can enjoy it. If the neighbors complain, then you can begin to turn off and on. :)

Good luck and have fun!

-Chris

I agree with the X-10 way of doing it. I use X-10 on my display this year to turn on/off the power to my entire set up. Last year, I used it to control the static portion of my show. It would turn off the static portion when my show would run, then turn it back on when the show was over. The home Automation gives you so much flexibility with times, and it is all controlled from the computer. You just set up your schedule and let it run. WIth plug in timers, you are somewhat limited on start and stop times, but not with X-10. If you want it to run for 7 minutes, then you just set the timers for that long. I love using it, really does simplify things.

You all are totally awesome for giving me your assistance.... now.. could I get you to come to Houston to help me set it all up??? (not really..sort of).

Thank you again. I am going to check out the X10 and the Garden Timer to see which will work best.

Happy Holidays !!! I will let you know what happens !!:waycool:

Check Home Depot, if you have one close... I saw a great outdoor timer there the other day, with the electrical supplies/other timers. It was rated for 15 amps and it was DIGITAL! that means you can control precisely your on/off times, and do multiple on/off without having large gaps between times (less than 30 minutes if you desired). It was around $20 too, which was good in my book.