Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
River Hammock Lights

Wrapping Trees

Is there an easy way to wrap palm trees, or any tree for that matter, with a simple string of mini's.

Top to bottom, left to right, etc. ?

Thanks in advamce for the any advice you guys or gals can give.,

Brian in Florida

Brian Roberson wrote:

Is there an easy way to wrap palm trees, or any tree for that matter, with a simple string of mini's.

Brian in Florida

Trees are easy, they are just time consuming.

I spent about 20-30 hours just wraping the trees in my front yard. I think what helps the most is to have an iPod and listen to a book on tape (or mp3 in this case).

In obeying the "rules of three" though where you only have 3 strands attached end to end, there are a few tricks. If you are doing a "Large" tree, say over 15' to 20' feet. It is best to run a some SPT2 wire up the tree and attach female plugs in various places along the cord that you can plug lights into. This is good up to 10amps. After that, you need to run another line.

What I do for my trees (since the largest one is almost 20') is that I start with one set of minis and go straight up the trunk first to the very top, I then start wraping the top of the tree. After I have 3 strands plugged into each other, I start again at the bottom and wrap straight up the trunk again and do the same thing working from top to bottom.

In the tree below, I used 57 strands of lights and did not use a single extension cord and obyed the rules of three rule. Only the red is on, so that is only 19 strings.

aspen-tree-red.jpg

Very nice RH. Thanks for the tip. I think yours is more elaborate than I'm doing this year as this is my first year with 144 chanels, half of which are onmy nieghbors house in-sync with mine. Of course not only didI have to do his house, I started too late in the season not knowing how involved it is.

I just want to wrap the trunks with one color for now, and your tip will help I'm sure.

Thanks

Get the neighborhood kids do it. Kids like making a game of getting dizzy:laughing: I hate it.

My maplae tree is to big in diameter to reach around it so the Dizzying method works best. I can only make about 10 laps before I'm done for awhile. Kids do a much better job. I stand there, while they walk around and around, setting the height/spacing that they are wrapping.

Brian Roberson wrote:

Brian in Florida

Not positive, butif decoratingpalm trees I think there should definately be some Corona's involved...:waycool:

I think it'sa state law or something!

When wrapping palm trees make sure they are tight. If not they might slip.

On all my trees I make sure the light string is tight. Squirrels mess it up and the wrapping looks sloppy.

I wrapped 41 trees so far.

Michael B

This may be a trick you are already using, but use the "yarn ball" technique for the lights you are wrapping around the trees. So much easier to pass that ball around the tree, around and around, then to try to have them coiled and pass the coil from one hand to the other...

I use a staple gun and tack them every once in a while, especially at the end of the ball when I need to add a new one. Keeps everything in place till I get going again!

I never found any "fun" in wrapping trees, and I only did 2! But it wasn't too bad, and the comments Iv'e received from them certianly made it worthwhile!

I find that starting with a ball of lights helps a lot, that is to say wrap your light in a ball kind of like a ball of yarn, then just unwrap them around your tree, hand around hand, oh ya, it also help if you have ample Corona's and a Ipod playing WIW as loud as it will go :laughing:

RayNMesa wrote:

I find that starting with a ball of lights helps a lot, that is to say wrap your light in a ball kind of like a ball of yarn, then just unwrap them around your tree, hand around hand, oh ya, it also help if you have ample Corona's and a Ipod playing WIW as loud as it will go :laughing:

Ray if I followed your last piece of advice i would wrap myself to the tree! :laughing:

Michael B

I wrapped both my palm trees with 4' x 4' LED net lights from Target. I used white and blue, see photo below. I usually go up only 4 high. I just hammered in 4 nails around the tree trunk at each level where I hang the net lights. Then I wrap them arounf the tree, and done.

post-2688-129571014642_thumb.jpg

Michael B wrote:

RayNMesa wrote:

Ray if I followed your last piece of advice i would wrap myself to the tree! :laughing:

Michael B

And if I followed it, I would hang myself from the tree... :)

-Tim

One other thing. The net lights go up faster. But if you prefer to use the older wrap the string method, do what I used to do. Roll up 300 lights onto an orange extension cod reel that you get at Lowes.

The procedure works best with 2 people. You start wrapping the tree and pass the reel around the tree to your buddy who then passes it back around to you. The strings automatically unroll as you pass the reel round the tree. Works perfectly!

This technique I also use inside the house to string lights on our Christmas tree. I set the reel on the floor and feed the strings off the reel, going up and down the tree, pushing the strings into the center of the tree.

I wrap my trees in 3 colors. Before I start I zip tie one strand of each color together and I roll them up into a ball starting at the female end. The ball is easier to handle and after wrapping the tree once, you are done with all three colors.

Ken