Who isn't done yet?

Mark Holiday

I'm at about 50% done.

Anybody else?

My family ended up not helping, so it's been just me.... and it's taking forever.

Yesterday I worked all day (8AM onwards), fell asleep at 8 PM... woke up at midnight to get back to work and it's just about 11:30 AM now. I'm going to turn in for some sleep and get back working tonight and work all night (I have a 500w worklight I use).

This has been the pattern since Saturday. In case you missed it, the pattern is 12 hour shifts with about 4 hours sleep inbetween. 20 hours a day of just putting up lights.

If I keep going at this rate, I'll be finished around the end of this week.... but it's getting harder and harder to work, and I'm getting slower because my back is starting to really hurt from all the work (I'm a really heavy guy).

Anyways.... anybody else not finished? It's kind of stressful. I feel like I should have been lit up a week ago already.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at 98%. Lights went on 12/1, but there are still a couple of details that I havn't been able to do yet (3 windows on the side of the building, the ropelight penguins that I found that I left in the basement, and a timer to replace). Other than that, and some minor repairs from the crazy wind we got over the weekend, I'm up and going for the first time since '05.

Display is running, 95% of the lights are functioning, but the sequences are still a "work in progress." I don't think it will be sequenced well for another 5 to 7 days.

I'm sure I'll add some more "lawn lights" but that is easy to add to the sequence. Its the mini trees and Megatree that need the work.

Done! are we ever truly done? I am 99% done. I have to restring my Pines on the Cul De Sac. My wife put in 11 50 foot strings. Can you say to much power consumption for one breaker. I need to add another breaker, restring, then light.

Although I am sure I will find somehting else to do.

The big project I have been helping with is all done. Now I can get back to my overly late projects.. 7 snowflakes and 5 wireframe trees waiting to be welded up, painted, and wrapped in lights...

Hopefully I will start getting some of what is already good to go out in my yard and running this week..

- Kevin

I wish I could use the weather as an excuse! (may it not give me one during the rest of the month!) The worst it has been here is occasional days down in the 40's, and sometimes too windy to be welding with CO2. The real issue is underestimating both projects, and the volunteer effort with a set in stone go live date getting priority over my show.

- Kevin

I'm Done - Outside and inside - 40K lites - No more circuits - All I am doing now is maintenance - a few lites out here and there - still covering the plugs up to prevent them from getting wet - an excuse for me to get outside and mess around my display and talk to people as they come by. :]:]:]

I am actually starting to think 2008 Christmas now! :waycool:

winter weather is a problem in Kingston ID too:?

but all of the lights are put up took some of them down because of the weather, had two shows already and a few people showed up, wondering what the heck i was doing i had to bring in all of my mini trees into the house when the winter blizzard hit

made me happy:devil:

;)

but overall kinda done

wish i had a bigger display this year

I am 60% done, we got hit with a snow storm on the weekend, which would have looked awesome if I was done!

I have been having my Neighbours knocking on the door, saying when are you starting up!

So, as a teaser, I have been turning on one set a night.

95% done - also pulled a few all-nighters to catch up. It is such a bummer to see cars pull up to see a display, and only half the trees are on with cords everywhere as I try and put it all together. Now I just have to plug in the cords to light-o-rama, taking forever. I'm thankful for this post, glad I'm not the only one!

I'm with Logan, I'm never really done with the display. I've put up over 10,000 lights (not counting blowmolds, inflatables, etc.) and I'm constantly tinkering. I had deer drinking from a stream, but wasn't happy with that so now they overlook a "pond". Little thiings like that, plus I add a strand here and there every so often, just to have more. :laughing:

90% done with the lights, sequencing is another story :( Rained on my day off, got sick the time before that, had to take the in-laws to dinner one evening, had an electrical problem that tripped a gfci and kept blowing a fuse on the LOR box. Thank God Dan makes a great product. Have to finish the roof and sequence and I think I'm done barring any more last minute disasters.

Getting there...way too slowly! About 89.2% complete.

As of last night, I'm pretty sure I can go live at some point tonight. I still need to set up my Gingerbread House &Gingerbread men. Next is to put another blow up in the yard, and wire the lights into the LOR unit (last year, I seperated the lights from the fan, so the fan can run continously while the lights are activiated electronicly. Then, set up 3remaining soldiers (out of 12 total) along the driveway.

Finally, I need to get the water out of my 8'snowglobe. Usually, I have the fan blowing 24/7 to prevent that problem. But, we were supposed to get rain and wind this weekend. I unplugged it to prevent the wind from destroying the globe, and the globe now has a lot of rain in there. As it happened, the winds didn't pick up until the rain stopped, so it would have been ok if I had left it plugged in (thanks for the forecast, weather people :X). Now the problem will be dealing with all that wet snow in the globe for awhile.

But, having said all that, I have tested, fixed channel assignments, and replaced bulbs on the rest of the decorations, so after a few hours of some good work, and it should be ready to go!

Am 98% percented completed. However we have had heavy winds the past two days and it is starting to take it's toll. I work nights and slept for 2 hours today so that I could re-decorate. Now I have to go watch older daughter play basketball and get twins to basketball practice.

My display is completely finished last weekend ;-)

The idea was to finish it this thursday, and turn it on at saturday, dec 8th, but I'm allready "running" it since last weekend.

Yesterday I started building the LED matrix board for Christmas 2008 ...

(8192 LEDs to solder in a "grid", make some controller boards for it, write software on the PC, to convert videos and animated gifs for it ...)

I'll estimate that this LED matrix board will be finished before summer, so I can start with my megatree. (with RGB LED's, places in pingpong balls, also a complete DIY-project from scratch)

Merry Christmas everybody ;-)

Best regards from Belgium,

Kris

ActiveHouse wrote:

My display is completely finished last weekend ;-)

The idea was to finish it this thursday, and turn it on at saturday, dec 8th, but I'm allready "running" it since last weekend.

Yesterday I started building the LED matrix board for Christmas 2008 ...

(8192 LEDs to solder in a "grid", make some controller boards for it, write software on the PC, to convert videos and animated gifs for it ...)

I'll estimate that this LED matrix board will be finished before summer, so I can start with my megatree. (with RGB LED's, places in pingpong balls, also a complete DIY-project from scratch)

Merry Christmas everybody ;-)

Best regards from Belgium,

Kris

Hey can you make me one too? :] Sounds cool!!! Be sure to post pics/video when you are done, would love to see it.

at 99.9 but thats every year. I keep adding crap. like the 2 snow blowers I just bought. Oh yeah then 10 minutes before the show yesterday I decided to double wrap 3 riendeer i had in the front yard and add them to another channel. oh yeah then................................................................................................ see 99.9

Hmmmmmm. I might have gotten a little to ambitious this year and ordered my controllers late. Second one arrives this week. I have most of the yard displays up. Have half of the FM transmitter built (FM-30b kit). Hopefully finish tonight. Have the parts for building my electric power/control center. Need to finish the roof lights (4 strings, 3 snowflakes, and a couple of other things), North Poles, Radio sign and power center and sequence some songs. Might have everything up by New Years!!! :D Project construction should be done this weekend. Everything should be up and running by the 15th if I keep on track. Good thing my yard is not a big as some of yours. At least most of the infrastructure should be done this year so next year should take less time. Might do one of those mega trees next year. The trouble is practicing restraint. So many good ideas here, you have to pick what can realistically get done with the time and money available and what will have to wait till next year. I wanted to tap 100 amps for the lights and build one of those niftysheds on wheels to house the controllers and power. Great idea to secure stuff and have off season storage.

Scott