Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
dkuntz

2006 Creative Displays led problems

:(

I bought 36 strings each of blue, white, and green 50ct c6 led strings last season. I am using about 30 of each of these outside in Ohio.

Currently I am seeing like 8 strands of green with multiple bulb failures. I have not done an exact count but I know some of these have at least half a dozen unlit leds. I don't know how many led's can fail before the rest will be overstressed and the whole string will go but looks like I will find out!Only time will tell but I suspect these green failures will continue as opposed to stabilizing at some point. I suppose I could start chopping out the bad leds and replacing them with ones from unused strings but that is a lot of work. Of course it will also be a lot of work to replace the whole strings when they fail. Some of the strings have2 pull ties per led!

I have also had 3 half-string failures of white led's to this point. I have been able to diagnose the failure for 2 of the 3 at this point. One was a single failed led that failed to open instead of short. The other was a failure of the diode / resistor pack at the end of the string. I will probably never know if the failure was due to water penetration or some other problem. I used straight pins with alligator clips hooked to a battery to do my troubleshooting. I may go back with caulk or a glue gun to fill the pin pricks in the cable if I decide to reuse these half strings. I have not spotted any individual white leds that are unlit.

:)

All 30 or so blue strings have been perfect so far.

Yes I have emailed Paul just so he is aware. He replied simply with "Noted". I was kind of hoping he would share if others have reported similar issues but he did not.

I hope yours is an isolated case. LED's are way too expensive to be considered "temporary" like mini lights... I love the look of Paul's LED's and hope the quality is there to match it...

-Tim

Sorry to hear about your led failures, not a good feeling. I hopeInnovalite figured out the problem. I have 96 strings ineach color for 2007. There is no way I could afford to replace a 25% yearly failure rate. So far only three half string failures and I was able to fix two of the three. So all is well so far. Those two were a wire break at the very first bulb.

orneryolbiker wrote:

Sorry to hear about your led failures, not a good feeling. I hopeInnovalite figured out the problem. I have 96 strings ineach color for 2007. There is no way I could afford to replace a 25% yearly failure rate. So far only three half string failures and I was able to fix two of the three. So all is well so far. Those two were a wire break at the very first bulb.

I had two wire breaks also... I was repairing a bad wind on an arch, and got overzealous cutting the zip-tie and cut two wires as well. It was an easy fix. Then later the very same string went out again, but in the other half. This time it looked like bunny damage. I just found it bizzare that the same string got hit twice by two completely independent incidents... I have 48 of these strings out there, so that's pretty interesting odds...

-Tim

I had 2 1/2 failures in the C6 greens I bought this year, compared to none last year. On one strand I simply pulled all three wires out of the rectifier while I was stretching out the cords before use. This year's C6 greens are definitely more fragile than last year's, and I'm being extra careful with them now. I didn't notice this problem on any other style/color combination that I bought this year (or last).

My white led`s went half string after it snowed last nite there only a week old so I`ll be taken them back . My blue and multi all seem to still work I`ll try some more white this weekend.

I also had a half string of green DOOTB (dead out of the box). So far those out in the display have weathered an ice storm and 7 inches of snow last night. I was still disappointed with the green. No problems with reds or blues though. It was my first purchase this year from Paul.

Mike

I had one strand of C6 which had multiple failures of individual LEDs not the wire coming off the socket where you lose half the strand, but individual leds going out. It was on a green strand.

Had three complete failures of red strands this year also. Fortunately, I had extras and did not get in a bind.

But otherwise all is well.

Mike

I wonder if all the replies above are Pauls lights or store bought. Just stating strings/bulbs going outand they aren't Creative Displays lights is making Paul and company look bad in this post. If they were store bought, I wishit would be mentionedwhich stores.

I bought 8 cases of LEDs from Paul this past summer and all 96 strings (red, white, blue & green) work perfectly. All 6,720 lights bulbs glow just fine.

Tom

Edit: the LEDs I bought are the C6 style. I love the brightness and look theyput out.

I bought 16 or so cases of minis from Paul this year. (4 each of R, G, B, W.)

I had only one white string give me a problem. The wire going in to one of the sockets came out. I pushed it back in and it is out in the yard now working just fine. (I did 'tag' it though so I know to keep an eye on it.)

The white C-6 LEDs I got last year from Home Depot did fail at a higher rate than I would have expected. I'm not using them in my display since they are not the right 'white' so I took them to work to use around the office. About 1/3 of them won't light and a few have burned out bulbs. One string had blown a fuse so I replaced it, plugged it in and it immediately popped again and smoked.

I also had a few red and blue strings (again mostly C-6 but one or two minis from HD) not work this year. AFAIK, they were all fine when I put them away in January.

Odd that it's mostly the C-6 style that failed. The minisseem to be more robust.

I bought 120 strings of the LED C6 on the Creative Diplay Preorder.

Only one string had an intermittent problem which I did not find until I hung the megatree 3 weeks ago (after having the lights for months) and Paul shipped me a replacement out the next day after I mentioned it without question or fail.

People have told me my megatree is the most beautiful thing they have seen- due to those c6 LEDs and curtain strobes from Darryl. (they haven't seen any of the other PC folks' trees yet!)

I hope these LEDs last more than one season as well! So far so good but they have only been in the weather for three weeks.

After Christmas I paid 48 cents a box for 10k green, 15k blue, 12k red, and 25k white minis. I can THROW them away and do it DOZENS more times before I approach the cost of the LEDS. But the LEDS LOOK fantastic and they save so many power problems/cabling issues.

Still not sure if it will be worth that if they last but one / two seasons.

Rusty

The LED lights I purchased were from Paul at Creative Displays. and in no way was I trying to make a disrespectful commenttowards him or his company, In my opinion Paul Sessel is one of the best venders in the business. The point of this post brings up that led technology isrelatively new to the world ofholiday decorating. as with any new tech there will be failures.

I personally didn't think you were cracking on Paul! :)

I think you brought up a VERY VERY valid concern I have also- with spending SO MUCH on the LEDs, and thinking they would last 4 or 5 seasons, ARE THEY GOING TO?

So I may need to look at them differently now:

1) They save any power concerns I may have with additional ampacity. I added a 125A sub panel for lighting and that SHOULD NOW be good forever now if I grow with LEDs.

2) They make stringing trees and other things that take many strings on the same channel ALOT easier without having to add all those extension cords.

3) They are GORGEOUS. Anyone tell me their blue Mini's are as good looking as my CD LEDC6 Blues and I will have to book a flight. I just won't believe it without seeing it.

4) They are brighter than my incad. minis.

Maybe they are just a luxury I need to decide whether are worth it for the reasons above and plan on replacing 1/4 of then every year.

Or maybe the CORDS AND SOCKETS will catch up to the LED life without costing too too much more. That seems to be the problems I have seen on the LEDs I bought from Walmart before. The light sockets corrode, and the plugs and wire do everything that my regular minis do. BUT THEY COST MORE- as much as 15 times more (100 string minis for 50 cents a box after Christmas).

Oh well. I think you raise some valid points and I personally did not think you trashed CD's lights or company.

Just my two cents worth- and it may not be worth that.:laughing:

Santas Helper wrote:

I wonder if all the replies above are Pauls lights or store bought. Just stating strings/bulbs going outand they aren't Creative Displays lights is making Paul and company look bad in this post.

I buy exclusively from Paul, and in general I would say his LEDs are top notch. I've only noticed problemswith thisone batch of C6 greens, freshly opened. Other than that I've never had any problems with Paul's LEDs, and I'd still recommend them to anyone. Last February when someone asked how well they stood up to the elements I plugged a strand in out back. Its still there after 300 continuous days of sun, rain, cold, hot, etc, without a single failure. WhatI've seen is definitely not indicative of the normal build quality we're used to; it seems more like a manufacturing snafu to me.

FBinthesouth wrote:

II think you brought up a VERY VERY valid concern I have also- with spending SO MUCH on the LEDs, and thinking they would last 4 or 5 seasons, ARE THEY GOING TO

Sorry, but I keep hear about their "10 year lifespan" on the news. They're about 10x the cost of minis, which I get far more than a year out of...

I expected them to last a lot longer than 4-5 seasons, much less 1 or 2.

I haven't inspected mine yet closely since the display has been up, but I'm not aware of any problems yet...

-Tim

Well I hope the folks who have had them out for a LONG time will keep us posted.

I am real interested in the people who started on them in 2005- are they re-using them this year? How many failed?

RW

Paul is a wonderful guy, straight up, honest, and plays fair. In no way am I saying anything negative in my previous post. It is all positive.

I feel that he has the best product available on the market.

I have had a few little glitches, but that is to be expected. Product is good and Paul is too.

99% of mine from last year are fine. I have had a couple of little issues, but nothing major.

Mike

Maybe I jinxed myself. Just pulled up and 1/2 a string of my "Paul's Green" is out. I'll have to investigate (could be bunny's, etc) before I blame it on the string...

-Tim

Sorry, the white`s were from Menards not Paul`s the blues are all creative displays and you can tell there made alot better.

I purchased 48 sets of 100 mini blues from Paul and so far knock on wood not one thing is wrong with them. I now have 3 different brands and each of them look identical when lit up.

This is my second year with LEDs from Paul. The units I purchased last year are working fine this year. I had some that had issues out of the box. Paul took care of those situations with no problem.

Chuck

I opened all my red and half my whites and green c6s and so far only had 1 white bulb out in one strand. They are outside and currently running in the rain....

The only issue I have had is that UPS lost the rest of my reds, but Paul swooped in and shipped out replacements. The guy and products are great!

-jds

"The point of this post brings up that led technology isrelatively new to the world ofholiday decorating. as with any new tech there will be failures."

Just to put in my two cents worth....I have had three sets of the much maligned Phillips blue led for three years now, without a single failure. I now have over 1,200 led bulbs in the yard, and not one has failed! That's impressive to me. I can buy several strings of 200 leds, and plug them all in end to end. That saves me time, extension cords, and electricity. I am sold on these things. They don't fade either! I have leds from Home Depot, Target, Wal Mart, Ace Hardware, and Sears. They all work! Oh, sorry Lowes, I did'nt mean to forget you.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I went ahead and spent several hours Saturday repairing bad green led strings.I swapped out 3 half strings that had at least 6 bad bulbs. Next I chopped out and replaced a chunk of 6bulbs fromtwo half-strings that had 4 or 5 bad led's in a section of 6 but were more or less ok otherwise. For 2 half-strings that had 4 bad bulbs I replaced 2.Finally I replaced 11 individualled's in 2 or 3 half sections. These onesare individually pull tied to 1/2" emt conduit and are obvious when even one goes out.I didnothing with half-strings that have 1 or 2 bad bulbs.

Only time will tell but I am keeping my fingers crossed that the bulbs that are destined to fail have done so at thispoint!