New Sequencer/Scheduler!

The scheduler works almost to a fault... what I mean is that last night when I used it, the sequences almost started ontop of one another! I am so used to the 30-45 seconds or more delay from D-Light's Scheduler, that this was SOOOO FAST! I love how the scheduler works, how easy it is to schedule shows and how it looks as well, straight forward and easy to figure out. I also like that as of yet, its not a memory hog... gotta love that!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I did the switch as well last week. Even though some of the functionality is turned off right now in the early release, it's still awesome. Both the sequencer and the scheduler are pretty solid. There's a few bugs (but you have to be doing something pretty stupid to crash either of them), but it just rocks when playing back sequences and you don't need a super computer to run it.

The sequencer takes a bit of getting used to, it takes the simplicity of LOR and the visualizer from Spectrum (but I don't mean they have copied it) they have just done it in a logical way. It has really helped me speed up my sequencing and the accuracy of timings. So you can rough out the beats with timing markers (start and end of a beat), then you can "slide" the timings left and right to reall hone it up and make it really precise.

The video playback is also a nice feature, so say you have a video you want to use in the sequence. You can load up the video file (in lots of different formats) , sequence the lights, and also have the video playback in time with the music.

I am very pleased with the early release, can't wait for the full release to come out sometime in Jan/Feb 2008

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has also used the LOR II beta (gamma) ... how it compares. Its certainly sounding rather good thus far. It seems like many of you are are also using D-light instead of LOR controllers ....

Regarding upgrades...

The purchase includes all 1.x versions. 2,x, 3.x, etc. will require an upgrade purchase (yes, there will be reasonable upgrade path pricing available when the time comes-- which isn't even on the radar yet).

DMX...

is part of the current plans for around 1.1.Nothing past 1.0 is instone yet, but DMX is on our radar.

taybrynn wrote:

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has also used the LOR II beta (gamma) ... how it compares. Its certainly sounding rather good thus far. It seems like many of you are are also using D-light instead of LOR controllers ....

Am in the process of "evaluating" LOR1&2. Figured it would be a good idea to get a "well rounded" point of view. About the only things I don't like about LOR2 (so far)is its not backwards compatible with LOR1 - a simple header in the file and a "save as LOR1 or 2?" would fix that. And the work area is too darned cluttered with mysterious icons. Oh, well.

Please excuse the analogy, but Aurora is a blend of the best features ofSpectrum, LOR1, and a massive dose of first-hand experiences from Michael who adheres to KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!). He's a light-o-holiclike therest of us - he just took that extra leap and landed on BOTH feet!:laughing:

This is one of the "selling points" of Aurora - you can import LOR1 and Spectrum sequences, so thereisno having to start from scratch. It also opens up the world tosharingsequences!

There is no reason why you couldn't use a LOR controller - both D-Light and LOR use the same protocols. Many of us went with D-Light for economy's sake.

The future of Aurora is, in my opinion, VERY bright! Michael is by no means resting on his laurels after a successful roll out last week. There are some additional featuresbeing tested that will knock your socks off!

Michael probably gets tired of me saying it, but hehas saved many folks from being upstaged by a Mr.Christmas yet again!

I might add cuz it's gonna come up very soon.

I am running Vista 64, I have no problems with it!

Also I might add

I have had no issues while running it on my XP machine, that to be honest is very slow compared to todays standards.

Lee

Can someone hook me up with one of those Aurora with 32 channels Icon that everyone has on the bottom of their signitures?

I was wondering if when your in a sequence and you come to a part that you want lets say channels 1-12 to go by tenths of a second but the rest of your channels to go as u set the beat. I just hate how with lor when i wanted to make my mega tree spin i would have to use tenth of a second timing and when i used that i then lost the marks that i set for the actual beat. So the long and short of it can you have different channels set to different timings

Sort of. You can add any number of intervals of any duration you want - only thing is it applies to ALL of the channels, not just a selection - which I believe is what you're alluding to.

I'll pass this along to Michael - might be able to incorporate this into a future release.

I have to agree with 1/10 timming you should not loose every thing would be a good feature. Wondering if you can copy and pastecertain parts from one squence to another any ideas if this is possible or in the near future--- Blair

Flanigan wrote:

Sort of. You can add any number of intervals of any duration you want - only thing is it applies to ALL of the channels, not just a selection - which I believe is what you're alluding to.

I'll pass this along to Michael - might be able to incorporate this into a future release.

How about if you could highlight a part anywhere and change the timing in that box only. AI

Aurora does not use a fixed timing grid... all event lines are arbitrary. You can place them in any position you wish and tweak until you are satisfied that they are right where you want them.

Once you have all of your beats where you want them, then you can right click with the selection tool and choose "Split Cells". One of the split options is to divide the selection into parts... for example, if your mega tree has 12 slices and you want one complete rotation between beats, then you would use split cells with a setting of 12 to divide the selection into 12 equal parts.

The result looks something like this:

Before:

aur_split_before.jpg

After:

aur_split_after.jpg

There are also options for splitting multiple cells at once... lay down all of the beats and then split all of them at the same time.

The copy/paste functionality also is useful here as well... among the many pasting options is the ability to have the paste automatically size your pattern to fit in the selected area.

See the problem there is like i said when you have the beat set already then you added the tenths of a second in it added it to all cells i just want to add it to a few cells of my choice cause once you did that you lost that whole long beat you had in blue. You would then have to go back and drag you blue line back across again. Thats what im trying to avoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gsxr7500 wrote:

See the problem there is like i said when you have the beat set already then you added the tenths of a second in it added it to all cells i just want to add it to a few cells of my choice cause once you did that you lost that whole long beat you had in blue. You would then have to go back and drag you blue line back across again. Thats what im trying to avoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That blue line was just a selected cell not a "Marked cell" that made it so the colume was identified to split. However, I would also like to see the functionality that you are talking about. I dont think it is availible in the software that I have but would come in very handy while having 8 channels on a mega tree and the remaining 8 out in la la land. being able to just adjust those 8 of 16 channels timing would rock!

Lee

Yeah doesnt make sense to me why noone has implemented this in there software this could be used for mega trees which many of us have and also for mini trees if you want to see them do a quick little dance. If Aurora comes out with this feature then i will buy it but other then that its the same as LOR to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aurora is different since it isn't cell based for timing of events. It allows you to mark the start and end of an event irresepective of what channel it's on or at what time it is in the sequence.

Other sequencers are cell based, meaning that are timed based on a particular cell, now you can move the start and end of that cell. IMHO Aurora is much better, since it alloows you full control of the timings on any particualr channel (or channels)