Best way to Christmas Lights is with a Convertible.

Boy was it a busy night tonight. We had 50+ cars in the neighborhood trying to see the lights at one point.

Here is a pretty funny shot. I was reviewing the Web Cam footage and caught this convertible that opened their top and had the inside of the car exposed for about 10mins. It was about 25 degrees outside.

post-2452-129571016877_thumb.jpg

Here is a fun clip of some of the traffic tonight. This is a high bandwidth Video so you may have to pause for it to load up.

http://www.holdman.com/christmas/videoplay.asp?f=dec10&vw=600&vh=430

Keep in mind that about every car you see is trying to see the display. Our neighborhood is just a loop that has no through traffic.

snowlovergeorgia wrote:

next time i move im going to take into consideration the street and how people can access my house......Culdesacs arent good for light show....

It is funny that you mention that because I have started wondering when Christmas Display Fanatics move, if they choose their new house based on how their Christmas Display will look with the House and if the surroundings are favorable to have a lot of people drive by and see the display.

There are a lot of churches in the valley I live and I told my wife that if we ever move, that we have to move across the street from a Church with a large parking lot so people an just pull right in and watch the lights.

the guy about 10 minutes away from me has a semi-static display hese been doing it for years the roof is animated but the rest is thousands of dollars in blowmolds and stuff. his house is setup perfectly for people to see it but the traffic doesnt get tied up. think of a major street going side to side _ then a street that is entrance to a section going the opposite way making an upside down T, then his house is like right on the corner in there off the highway so p0eople see it but are to far away to stop on the highway so they just take it down his street and back out.

I never wanted to be in a corner lot house - 2 streets

As a kid we lived on one off a fairly busy street. I hated car headlights going across the bedroom window all the time

We ended up buying a house on a dead end....Perfect!! Very little traffic

That was 4 years ago, never thought about Christmas lights traffic

With a static display I've only had 3 cars cruising by at a time

I'm not sure if I will go to full animation, I have too many blow molds

I will broadcast music, & will animate one side of the yard ...maybe next year

There are 6 channel prelit christmas display boxes. (rite aids sell them) im not sure who else i think there called lik "Sounds of christmas" or something! I have one and if you only want to animate a little bit this would be the cheapest and easiest way to go with some very nice results :)

snowlovergeorgia wrote:

next time i move im going to take into consideration the street and how people can access my house......Culdesacs arent good for light show....

I have a small Mall across the street with a great parking lot facing my house The owner of the mall likes my display and keeps the lot clean from snow banks so that they can park there and look at my display

RichardH wrote:

It is funny that you mention that because I have started wondering when Christmas Display Fanatics move, if they choose their new house based on how their Christmas Display will look with the House and if the surroundings are favorable to have a lot of people drive by and see the display.

There are a lot of churches in the valley I live and I told my wife that if we ever move, that we have to move across the street from a Church with a large parking lot so people an just pull right in and watch the lights.

this is so funny, cus the wife and i just bought a new house (moving in in jan.)

and instead of looking at the bedrooms and thinking "are these big enough" or "are these windows drafty"

no, no i was outside sizing up the yard and planning my next years display. lol