LED GROUP BUY 2008

Last year I missed out on the savings of the group buy. Can someone send me an email directly when the group buy thread starts for led mini lights. I know that the order is placed early in the year, but since that is my off season, I try to relax, thus I visit PC less, so I don't want to accidentally miss it. If you guys can keep me in mind.

[email protected]

Thanks.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking about the Creative Displays LED group buy, Paul Sesselhas posted in this thread that more info will be forthcoming around Jan 1st. ThisLED forum is where he posted much of last years info, so keep checking. The last group buy he gave everyone a window of about 4-6 weeks to make purchases.

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum12/18490.html

You might try emailing him and see if you could be added to a notificationemail list. Don't know if such a list exists though.

BTW, I'm a very satisfied customer of Pauls. Great product, great service!

(ok Paul, now where's my extra discount?:laughing:)

Guest Jeff_Womack

Guyfox_318c wrote:

Last year I missed out on the savings of the group buy. Can someone send me an email directly when the group buy thread starts for led mini lights. I know that the order is placed early in the year, but since that is my off season, I try to relax, thus I visit PC less, so I don't want to accidentally miss it. If you guys can keep me in mind.

[email protected]

Thanks.

Hey Chris, can you update your profile so people will see you have a website? Right now it says Yahoo.com.

Here's how: http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum14/5782.html

You might also want to add it to your signature so people see it immediately.

I have most of the C6 and M6 strands that I need, but I'm really *really* interested in getting some LED rope light for 2008 (especially since my 15 rope light snowflakes use as much wattage as the other 15,000 lights in my display!). Last year I mentioned rope light to Paul but I don't think he saw enough interest to pursue it...perhaps if others are interested as well we could get LED ropelight added to the off season pre-order?

dtrammell wrote:

I have most of the C6 and M6 strands that I need, but I'm really *really* interested in getting some LED rope light for 2008 (especially since my 15 rope light snowflakes use as much wattage as the other 15,000 lights in my display!). Last year I mentioned rope light to Paul but I don't think he saw enough interest to pursue it...perhaps if others are interested as well we could get LED ropelight added to the off season pre-order?

When you decide to purchase LED ropelight, keep in mind that there is a significant difference in light output, depending on which wayyou are viewing the ropelight!

The red and green LED ropelight I use look much brighter looking towards the plug end, than viewing them inthe opposite direction.

Based on that, and some LED ropelight failure due to internal rusting, I have decided to use the much less efficient standard bulb ropelighting for all of my wireframes.:(

For edging along my drive and my roof, I am able to use the LED ropelight, and have it setup so the brighter orientation faces the viewers.

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

When you decide to purchase LED ropelight, keep in mind that there is a significant difference in light output, depending on which wayyou are viewing the ropelight!

The red and green LED ropelight I use look much brighter looking towards the plug end, than viewing them inthe opposite direction.

Based on that, and some LED ropelight failure due to internal rusting, I have decided to use the much less efficient standard bulb ropelighting for all of my wireframes.:(

For edging along my drive and my roof, I am able to use the LED ropelight, and have it setup so the brighter orientation faces the viewers.

Greg

Hmm, that's an interesting point. For my useage I think I can work around that by making sure to always run the lights with the brighterend pointing TOWARDS the street, but that's a handy tip...thanks!

sabrina02 wrote:

Can someone explain what the group buy is about?

Open wallet/purse, stick vacuum cleaner inside!!!!:shock:

Paul early this year had a sale on his LED's. Prices were very good, discounted to ~2/3 of his retail prices IIRC. Still pricey, you probably could get better prices atthe after Christmas sales.

BUT, these are full-wave LED's andlook a lot brighter and better than the ones I've seen in stores. IMHO worth the extra $$'s.

Only hitch was you had to order in quantities of 24 strands of each colorIIRC.

They're boxed in packs of 12, so that's the minimum. And with the sale taken into account, the lights rival almostany retail price (they're not at day-after-Christmas prices, but you can get as much as you want of arguably better product).

Just learn from my mistake this year - if you need your strands to be straight (for a mega tree, for instance), use the summer to stretch them out instead of trying to do it all just before you set up - it'll be a lot less painful spread over a few weeks/months, trust me (and rafters work great if you have a little weight to hang on them!)

RWM wrote:

Could I get in on this? I would like to start replacing my mini's with LED'S.

Watch the LED forum - last year the buy was announced in February, while it was July (I think) the year before that. I don't think there's a mailing list, unlike the Light-O-Rama annual sale.

dtrammell wrote:

Greg Young wrote:

Hmm, that's an interesting point. For my useage I think I can work around that by making sure to always run the lights with the brighterend pointing TOWARDS the street, but that's a handy tip...thanks!

One thing I found with LED rope, is that the minimum length is longer than regular rope. I bought some from Reinders last year, and the minimum cut length was 10ft. Bill Foley thought that was a bit odd, cause he helped me with the initial length I had to make. This year, I bought another roll from Reinders as well, and the minumum length had gone down to 5ft, but still when making WF's that is a lot of length to have to deal with at times. The brand Reinders sells was Diogen, not sure if it would be different for another mfgr. I would be interested in starting a thread on this subject alone.

jfelix wrote:

Does he normally get C9 LED's. I want to move away from my regular C9's and go over to LED's for those. That way I can reduce my amperage consumption on my number 1 controller.

Joey, Paul does not carry C9, nor C7's. He carries a C6 which is smaller than C7 and larger than a mini. I think if I remember correctly that he carried some larger screw in replacement LED bulbs.

zman wrote:

jfelix wrote:

I think if I remember correctly that he carried some larger screw in replacement LED bulbs.

Those are the C9 and C7 LED "replacement" bulbs, with 5 and 3 LEDs inside, respectively: http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/modules/webstore/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=37

I don't remember whether thosewere on sale with the rest of the lights however...

zman wrote:

jfelix wrote:

Joey, Paul does not carry C9, nor C7's. He carries a C6 which is smaller than C7 and larger than a mini. I think if I remember correctly that he carried some larger screw in replacement LED bulbs.

Well that's no good. frmo what I read about the replacements they are very limited for use with animation. I hope I can catch them on sale at HD. I saw the C6's but my wife really likes the look of the C9's. If not than C6 it will be. I am maxed with those C9's.

I think many of us are thinking this, but I'm going to come out and say it....

*We* are the consumers, and *we* gather ourselves together holding out our money willing to make a purchase. And in doing so, *we* are making things a lot easier for online retailers who are still making an easy profit as they walk by the line we have formed and take our money.

So instead of sitting here hoping and dreaming that the laws of economics will again hold true this year... I hope *we* as a collective group can cheerfully announce our economic demand, and then wait and see who offers the nicest economic supply.

There are already at least a few PC members in direct negotiations with companies in China to provide LED purchase opportunities, using our collective buying power. And these PC members have openly disclosed they do so not for profit, but because this is Christmas and we are a Christmas light/display community.

I spent a ghastly amount of money switching to LED this year, and my budget for next year is already carefully hidden from my wife. Of course I'm going to buy what I need, and of course I'm going to consider price and customer service. But I'm also going to stay with this group so we can all benefit from the best deal offered to *us*

I do *not* recommend people start shouting out the amount of money they are going to spend - but I'm going to disclose my purchase will be in the $10,000 range and 1) I'm not going to beg or kiss someone's behind to get a deal, and 2) I'm only purchasing from someone who gives the same deal to all PC members. Because *we* are the customers.

Ok back to work for me - thanks for reading. Group Buy 2008 unite!

Ok - I just got chastised by Medman for not having a special E-mail list to him for the upcoming LED pre-order event I will be offering in January - even though he doesn't understand that we are in the middle of an extensive year end inventory along with the day to day opperations that go with running a business and trying to get pricing and samples for an upcoming Christmas show in January.

Let me explain (clarify) something to you Medman, just because someone has found a vender in China that is willing to send out piecemeal orders at reduced cost to you, doesn't mean that you are getting a quality product. Even though you may get samples from a vender, they may be sending you samples of someone else's product and than sending you an inferior product. I've seen that happen over and over. In fact, I remember reading someone's post right here about getting LED flood lights directly from a China vender that were inferior. You have to know who you are working with. Most reputable companies won't even take less than container orders. To do business with China, all monies must be paid in advance, with no repercusion once the goods are sent (if indeed they get sent). If they don't get sent, you're out the money and try to hire a lawyer to handle that one! With that said, buy your products from China with the feeling "buyer be wear".

I've been to the LED factories (I do business with) in China. I have a Chinese partner in China to supervise my purchases and I have full coverage from start to finish of the products I purchase. I sell a full wave, LED product, that I direct import myself - no middle man mark up. I am a full time Christmas store. That means that the majority of the year (or at least half the year) I really don't generate money. Try that one on for size! I am sorry I can't send you an Email for the sale, but I will give everyone plenty of heads up. Sorry for my rant - Everyone have a great Christmas and happy new year. You will be hearing from me soon.

Hrm. I didn't mention your name Paul. I gave you my feedback regarding our exchange in private. That was out of respect for you as a professional. I also respect your right to bring our exchange into public, though I suppose I would have appreciated you showing me the same respect I showed to you. You've disclosed you are too busy to maintain a customer email list, and that's you're right as seller. No harm no foul.

Regardless, you already know that practically every PC member here appreciates you and your service - and I apologize if my opinion regarding our buying power as a group of consumers was offensive to you as a reseller.

If anyone is interested in joining together to form a buying group that will allow negotiation of best prices for a quality product, I would suggest we keep the thread as it was intended.

If this thread was meant to be advertising for Paul's sale, exclusive of any other purchasing power we might have as a group, then I apologize to the forum as well.

medman