Vandalism, some form being legal?

tfischer wrote:

Texan78 wrote:

I had to find the property irons a couple years back when we built our new deck. Our one property corner was directly behind the electric co's green transformer box, so I know exactly where my property corner is today thanks to this big ugly green box. I'd say about 10' from the curb...

-Tim

You should charge the electric co. rent for using part of your yard....:laughing: Cause you know they would do it to you and that is what's sad....

Texan78 wrote:

You should charge the electric co. rent for using part of your yard....:laughing: Cause you know they would do it to you and that is what's sad....

Nah, they're still in the ROW. The box is on the street side of my property iron (barely).

As an aside, anyone have any ideas on how to get the power company out this spring and paint the thing? It's starting to look pretty ugly and rusty... I'd do it myself if the don't but I don't want to get fined or something...

-Tim

I think if you look at the plat of your subdivision you'll find whats called Public Utility Easement.....normally running 8'-10' into your property which allows the utlity companies to run and maintain thier lines, pipes, etc across your property whether your like it .....

Reminds me of one morning going to work and seeing all the cars at the dealerships covered in dirty snow. I have seen them pull all the cars back away from the road the night before but can they say anything if they miss the storm and it takes a week to clean the cars? Some wore so bad it mite have made permanent damage nicks and dents and maybe broken glass. AI

AI wrote:

Reminds me of one morning going to work and seeing all the cars at the dealerships covered in dirty snow. I have seen them pull all the cars back away from the road the night before but can they say anything if they miss the storm and it takes a week to clean the cars? Some wore so bad it mite have made permanent damage nicks and dents and maybe broken glass. AI

they fixed up a local bussiness here which sits like 10 feet away fro the curb and put in two huge picture window...first snow fall we had last year both windows got broke .....after that they stopped plowing that short section of road in front of the building.

CHRISL1976 wrote:

I think if you look at the plat of your subdivision you'll find whats called Public Utility Easement.....normally running 8'-10' into your property which allows the utlity companies to run and maintain thier lines, pipes, etc across your property whether your like it .....

I know all about that, I had a friend whos builder built their house right on top of a Utility Easement which is a no no. So needless to say they had to tear the house down. So in return they got a brand new $250,000 home out of $120,000 dollar home in a new location.

I know in my sub-divison the Utility Easements are in the street and alley because the power lines, phone and cable are overhead. Only thing that is on my property is what is used to service the house. I.E. Gas line, Sewer, Water. If we have a leak in out gas line and it is on out property which around here is in the backyard then it is our resposibility to replace it. We can not even pay them to come do it.

There are a number of interests I have to juggle with my display.

1) a Fire hydrant

2) 2 water meters under iron lids

3) a tree that overhangs the road slightly

4) an access road to a water authority pump station

5) neighbors..mostly kids..that use that road to access a community wooded area behind my house.

I have a large redbud tree that overhangs the edge of the road. I keep the canopy lights high enough that trash trucks, fire dept trucks, and my neighbors dualie can pass without hooking lights. However, redbuds have thin branches, so a strong wind will knock lights off the higher branches. This year I had some caught and had to re-light the entire canopy.

With theaccess road, it took me a couple of years to see just who and what comes and goes down that road so that my display doesn't cause them problems.

The first year I wrapped lights around the cable "gate" across the road just because it was ugly, rusty and dirty and I didn't want folks walking into it in the dark. One day while I was home from work, I learned that the regular service crews like to drop the cable and drive over it, so I stopped putting lights there and opted for wrapping it inplastic landscape marking tape instead.

The next year,I learned that more than just pick-up trucks used the road. There was some HUGE pump truck that also came in. ...that was when I stopped hanging theRed Baronfrom an overhead tree limb. I also made sure that my display elements were further away from the road. This thing had to BACK out of the road and, if the tire tracks through my lawn are any indication, it is a bear tomaneuver!

Kids and teens also use the road to access the woods....kids to play, teens mostly to do things they don't want their parents to see. I believe those are the same teens who have been doing a bit of vandalizm this year. So, now I'm considering on motion-sensor lights near the house and one of those deer camp night vision wildlife cameras for the back of the property.

There is also a fire hydrant right in front of my property, along withtwo manholes for reading water meters that I have to keep lights away from. It's a painand creates "dark spots" in the display, but nobody wants to deal with electricity near water.

Thankfully, I don't have an issue of snow to complicate matters anymore. I don't need snow plows to rip up my lights...that's what the teens do. :{