Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
jfelix

What to expect Christmas Eve?

For those who have been doing this for a while and your displays are well known what do you expectChristmas Eveas far as traffic? Even if you aren't a display who is well known yet,maybe this was the breakout year, what do you expect? I would say I fit in the breakout year category myself.

Tonight we were so busy I had to go get my neighbor. We set up cones and had to direct traffic to circle the cul de sac rather than park. We had a line all the way to the entrance of our neighborhood and I am the last house in the back. (I feel like Marty :laughing:, well it is nothing compared to his.) It wa actually pretty cool. This was definatly the biggest weekend for us.

jfelix wrote:

For those who have been doing this for a while and your displays are well known what do you expectChristmas Eveas far as traffic? Even if you aren't a display who is well known yet,maybe this was the breakout year, what do you expect? I would say I fit in the breakout year category myself.

Tonight we were so busy I had to go get my neighbor. We set up cones and had to direct traffic to circle the cul de sac rather than park. We had a line all the way to the entrance of our neighborhood and I am the last house in the back. (I feel like Marty :laughing:, well it is nothing compared to his.) It wa actually pretty cool. This was definatly the biggest weekend for us.

Well, this is my first year with 64 light-o-rama channels and, tonight has been my bussiest night of the season BY FAR i would say i have had about 200 people and almost every one of them said tomorow or the next day they are going to bring all there family by.:waycool: I cant wait, its so nice when you have allot of people, it makes it all worth it. 5 or 6 times when ive walked out of my house all the people on the sidewalk started clapping.:waycool: Ok just saying what has happened to me this year.:]

[align=center]MERRY CHRISTMAS[/align]

That's great for you both :waycool:.

I would expect the same thing and moreChristmas Eve:].

Be prepared and remember to keep calm and make it smooth but funfor everyone.

They are there for a reason and if treated right, they will come back next year. I would have some friends/neighbors/family to help if possible (if it's that crazy) and just make sure they keep the Christmas spirit while guiding/instructing the cars.

Just keep the happy spirit while they visit and you'll be fine. "Welcome and thank you for coming. Please......... Merry Christmas......

P.S. Turn off the alarm clock and make sure the coffee pot is set for a later timethe next morning. You'll be glad you did :laughing:.

Good luck and great job.

Tom

Wow, I thought I was having a break out year but nothing like 200 cars. It has been good though best I have seen was 4 cars stopped on the shoulder. I would say close to 100 a night stop and look but I haven't counted.

Not sure what to expect tomorrow night though. I hope a few stop and look anyway.

Well you all have a great Christmas.

Ted

tallan wrote:

Wow, I thought I was having a break out year but nothing like 200 cars. It has been good though best I have seen was 4 cars stopped on the shoulder. I would say close to 100 a night stop and look but I haven't counted.

Not sure what to expect tomorrow night though. I hope a few stop and look anyway.

Well you all have a great Christmas.

Ted

ya iam getting like 200 people because i live a main street. so allot of people pass by and stop to watch. i had a group of 30 people walk down the street just to come see my lights then about 15 minutes after they left i git about 5 cars full of people stop and get out about another 30. but when i say about 200 i mean people not cars because most of the people up here get out of there car but by the end of the night it had to be about 250.:waycool:

The day before Christmas eve and Christmas eve itself is a biggie for traffic and visitors . But watch out for the eve of Christmas day. Uncle Joe and Aunt Mary have been couped up with the grandkids and cousins for a few days now and things are beginning to get touchy. So someone says lets go look at some Christmas lights and guess where they are coming- to your house. Get ready. The night after Christmas can be one of your biggest.

jfelix wrote:

There is no busier day then Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. This year the position of Christmas after the weekend has give some of us extended opportunity for massive turn outs. We got slammed very very hard on Saturday Night but the traffic jambs almost happened but luckily kept flowing well on Sunday night. All bets are off for traffic not to be a problem here on Eve and day as for my display, Eve and Day is by far the very busiest of the season!

Good luck out there folks. Some of these traffic Jams you will have on Christmas Eve and Day can be the type that will turn your good neighbors against you. I am sure I am risking a lot here, so a real good way to preserve your hobby is make those neighbors a part of this.... "hey guys, are you bored, come out and watch the crowds" and ours do and often find it as much fun as we and our guest do. We are expecting to make it even worst and have a professional Santa for Eve here but hey... its Christmas... time for going ALL OUT.

This is another part of the equasion. Eve is the number one go out and see Christmas lights day, Christmas Day is #2 to begin with. Now factor ever store, bar, restaurant closes 6 PM Chrstmas Eve and stays closed until the 26th. There is NOTHING to do in all our towns except come to the fabulous computerized Christmas Light Show... so watch out. Eve and Day are the days that makes what we do on our displays "worth it."

PS: Expect a big let down on the 26th... there will be a good grand finale crowd on New Year's weekend but Weds and Thurs will be a big let down and the crowds wane big time, like back to first of December levels.

We've been getting slammed since Thursday. Last night had 40+ cars/vans/trucks/ FULL of people for every show starting at 6PM and it was still packed at 10PM when the last show was over. It took until 10:20PM for it to finally clear out but a steady stream of vehicles were coming by until after 11.

Friday, I couldn't even get to my house. I ended up parking at my neighbors three houses down. While 3 houses down may not seem that far to a lot of cramped developments, in this neighborhood, most of us have 100'+ of road frontage and 1.5+ acre lots.

Christmas Eve was very busy for us last year. I expect it to be even worse this year

given the media coverage that we've had this year. Earlier in the week the news was here from 4:30AM til 7:00AM doing spots for "Good Morning Jacksonville".

We've also been in two different newspapers. It should be interesting tonight.

Merry Christmas!

We're averaging over 500 cars a night since this past Saturday. Thank God for Walter and Jackie Monkhouse who advised us to do everything possible to keep the crowds under control.

We hired two off duty police officers to direct traffic. Without them, it would have been a huge problem. We live on a cul-de-sac and 500 cars per night is a huge amount in a four hour period.

We have the officers coming back tonight and expect another large crowd.

Mike & Sherrie

My display is pretty much unknown, so I doubt there will be any issues with traffic. But in the unlikely event that there is,my neighbors have my cell number, as I will be at my parents house for the evening.

We've been averaging 6 cars per show (this is our first year of LOR) and we run three shows an hour. So, that's about about 70-75 cars a night. Not bad. Some nights have been busier than others but you can tell word is getting around.

yesterday (the day before christmas eve for me) the show was half on and half off. all the inflateables and mini rees were knocked out because of rain (i have yet to solved the problem today) and im hoping to get some traffic tonight if i can even get the entire show running. if i cant get the show running then i might not want to run it tonight. might turn it static for the night and just play a message.

Yep, this is the busiest night of the year for us too. We go out and hand out candy while the shows are going. I live on a cul de sac which terminates in the circle at my house. The road is about an 1/8 mile long and last night and tonight, cars are lined up the entire road to watch the shows (usually about 15-20 cars each show). I really enjoy going out there and watching their show of getting out without hitting anything after my shows end. Sort of like watching the traffic in Paris at the Arch De Triumph. When I look at some of these drive by shows, it makes me sort of glad the way the road comes straight into my house, means more people can sit there and watch the shows.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year, and great success with your shows tonight!!

:santa::snowman::rudolph::happytree::ornament::santa::snowman::rudolph::happytree::ornament::santa::snowman::rudolph::happytree::ornament::santa::snowman::rudolph::happytree::ornament::santa::snowman::rudolph::happytree::ornament::santa::snowman::rudolph::happytree::ornament::santa::snowman::rudolph::happytree::ornament::santa::snowman::rudolph::happytree::ornament::santa::snowman::rudolph:

Solved my shows problem. an extension cord was submerged in water. and it kept popping the switch everytime i tried turning it on. all my cords in the yard are now raised about 4 inches off the ground with the lawn lights stakes that i bought for next year. i also had to use a leaf blower to dry off some of the trees. along with a wireframe tree. everything should b e good to run tonight now thoguh. phew huge load off my back.

I couldn't imagine having 200 or so a night! Dang! I got excited to see 2-3 cars at a time parked out front watching (there is room for maybe 6 really). Last night was a great night also, we had a lot more than usual. There is no way for me to count them, as I can only see the road when I am at my computer and since switching to Aurora, I dont have to babysit the software any more (at all, no more restarting the computer after each night or nothing. Like Ron Popeil says, "Just set it, and forget it!" :) )

Tonight my family and I host our annual Christmas Eve party for friends and family... I am hoping I can park the cars in a way that people will still be able to see everything as well as stop and watch without blocking the road if they so choose to.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all and BOOMER SOONER!

We had a very good weekend too. I looked out a few times and almost always had 12-16 cars parked watching the display. At one time, I counted 20 cars parked out front. Luckily I am on a corner and there is a big dirt lot across the street for everyone to park and have a great view.

This is our first year and we don't know what to expect for tonight. I went out and bought 250 candy canes today, my kids and I are going to pass them out. Hopefully we will get to pass most of them out.

Merry Christmas everyone!

We're doing the same this evening. Candy Canes and Hot Chocolate until we run out tonight. Snowing and windy here, so we will see what happens. The show starts in 10 minutes or so..

Merry Christmas everyone!

Both nights have been abiggie. Atleast 200 cars came by last nightand another 200 or more tonight. Here it's 10:30 and still packed.

May have to run to midnight, we'll see.

We had another big night. I threw on the suit and went out for about 1-2 hours. All of my wifes cousin's and nephews went out and habded out candycanes. I think they handed out 100-150. We still have people coming by now. It has been great. I must admit I never thought I would get this way this soon.

Can't imagine what next year will be like.

I agree, I am very surprised too. I guess I just didn't know what to expect since this is my first year of animation. My kids and I handed out about 150 candy canes in an hour and a half. We came in because it was getting cold. I have had a steady flow of about 20 cars non-stop and they are still going strong. I figured most people would be home with their families on Christmas Eve, but I guess looking at lights is a nice family outing too.

I just learned that I made the front page of Saturday's paper, so that explains the huge surge of visitors. Apparently I won first place in a contest for the city of Las Cruces. I didn't even know I entered a contest.

I can not wait until next year. One thing for sure, I need a bigger "tune to" sign. There were several people I talked to that were watching the lights and didn't realize it was sequenced to music. You would think after watching for a few minutes you would realize. Oh well, I gave them the frequency and they were even more amazed.

mountainwxman wrote:

Both nights have been abiggie. Atleast 200 cars came by last nightand another 200 or more tonight. Here it's 10:30 and still packed.

May have to run to midnight, we'll see.

Well very good for you, I am always pleased to hear all these success stories on Christmas Eve. We had a very good flow tonight, people stayed only for a song or two and moved along allowing for better rotation of visitors and less total grid lock. Attendance was great and stayed strong until 12:30 PM.

Sounds like most of us super display owners had really good Christmas Eves! What a great year this is!

Joseph I do not think I am a super display owner yet, but hope to be one day soon. Now you on the other hand rank right up there with all the top dogs on PC. Maybe someday,if I too can make it on an HGTV special like you and several others I will be in your league.

But until then,I will keep aspiring to reach as far as I can one year at a time.

BTW like the name, it has a good sound to it. Merry Christmas.

-Joey-

Sunday night was our big night so far. By everyones best estimate we had over 300 cars pass through our tiny cul-d-sac.

The pastor of Mountain Lake Church, Shawn Lovejoy, came by to see the show last week. It so impressed him that he incorporated his families experience into his Christmas Sermon and has shared the joy with everyone (all 4000 of them).

Several other churchs in the area have also spread the word and the response is amazing.

I have spent the last three nights visiting with everyone that has come by to see the show. We have handed out candy canes to everyone and throughly enjoyed the experience.

I have no firm count of cars or people but we have handed out more than 1400 candy canes, half of them donated by our neighbors. Thank You!!

Joseph,

Our 63,000 light display with 243 channels of control, a flying angel, an angel choir, faux fireworks from the roof, snow machine, fog machine and Mr. & Mrs. Santa performing the "Evolution of Dance" live on stage has been a big newspaper hit and people magnet.

This last week we had to hire a security service to guide traffic after we wore our neighbors and kids out from doing the same.

Our show is 18.5 minutes long with a 11.5 minute break with non-Christmas music and announcements. We can park 50 cars per show along the street then hold another 20 or so cars until the next show. We actually turned our street into a one-way street to accomplish this.

It has been a BIG year here for sure!!!! BTW, your Macarena Christmas is outstanding.

Charles and Vickie Belcher

Charles Belcher wrote:

Joseph,

Our 63,000 light display with 243 channels of control, a flying angel, an angel choir, faux fireworks from the roof, snow machine, fog machine and Mr. & Mrs. Santa performing the "Evolution of Dance" live on stage has been a big newspaper hit and people magnet.

This last week we had to hire a security service to guide traffic after we wore our neighbors and kids out from doing the same.

Our show is 18.5 minutes long with a 11.5 minute break with non-Christmas music and announcements. We can park 50 cars per show along the street then hold another 20 or so cars until the next show. We actually turned our street into a one-way street to accomplish this.

It has been a BIG year here for sure!!!! BTW, your Macarena Christmas is outstanding.

Charles and Vickie Belcher

Went to your site and caught the viseo of the evolution of dance. I loved it. Great job.