Shows not at home?

We live in town and have many homes right next to one-another, and right next to the street. This year was our first animated and it was a lot of fun. It also brought with it a lot of traffic and noise that at least one (anonymous) neighbor didn't appreciate:

Your light show isn't kind to the neighbors. There are cars sitting outside running their engines each night blasting the music with their windows rolled down. I've had trouble parking at my house because people are in the way and won't move. It's been very annoying. :-/

We want to go bigger, but I'm thinking our home might not be the best location. I'm thinking of moving the show away from the house. I know of a guy in the next town over (Gettysburg, PA) that does a show at his business where this is a parking lot. A local technical school did a show this year. I've thought of just joining with them, but I'd like to keep creative control and they claim to have built their systems from scratch, so I'm not sure I could connect them with LOR. Maybe a local park? I wonder what other complications an off-site show would create. Thanks for any thoughts. :)

One thing you can do (it worked for me last year when we were in the paper) is to put the "don't park in or block driveways, keep the volume at a reasonable level, have a great Christmas" disclaimer between every song.

I found that it kept things very smooth with my 'disgruntled' neighbor (he was right, there were kids slamming car doors outside his pre-schooler's window at about 9:50 one night).

If that does not help with about 90% of your problem, reduce the length of your show to one or two songs, and reduce the number of hours it shows.

Dale

Make your last show end no later than 9:30 on school nights, and be out there the whole time as a greeter/traffic director. It is a lot of work, but folks appreciate your presence, and your neighbors will appreciate the hours.

DavBro

Make your last show end no later than 9:30 on school nights, and be out there the whole time as a greeter/traffic director. It is a lot of work, but folks appreciate your presence, and your neighbors will appreciate the hours.

DavBro

I set up my show at my biz. I decided to go that route for a few reasons but traffic was a concern because I'm in a cul de sac. My biz building has plenty of room around it for cars and parking. I had plenty of power atmy commercial building. I lit my windows from the inside and had plenty of decorations on the roof outside. I put inexpensive things like arches and mini trees on the ground in case of intruders. I have cameras and a DVR that records 24/7 keeping an eye out. I didn't have one issue this year. My computer and controllers are all inside out of harms way. I found 4" dryer vents work great for cords. good luck

I'm working on getting it on youtube. I'll try to repost when I do.

I set up my show at my biz. I decided to go that route for a few reasons but traffic was a concern because I'm in a cul de sac. My biz building has plenty of room around it for cars and parking. I had plenty of power atmy commercial building. I lit my windows from the inside and had plenty of decorations on the roof outside. I put inexpensive things like arches and mini trees on the ground in case of intruders. I have cameras and a DVR that records 24/7 keeping an eye out. I didn't have one issue this year. My computer and controllers are all inside out of harms way. I found 4" dryer vents work great for cords. good luck

I'm working on getting it on youtube. I'll try to repost when I do.

My neighbors actually enjoy all of the traffic as it helps to slow the speeders down on our road. People park on both sides of the road and thus our road becomes a single lane access. I haven't had any complaints yet...

2 Limos, 3 Mini Tourbusses and oodles of car this season so I'm happy to share in the joy of Christmas Lighting.

-Evan

I have been thinking of moving my show only as I want more traffic! Our city is building a new library in our neighborhood and I have been thinking of donating the display to them. The issue I have is with self promotion and I tend to shy away from it so I will let the city advertise, drawn in the people, and collect the donations. Win win for all.

-jds