Can you by lights not made in china?

I have someone that wants to buy Christmas Lights but does not want them made in China.

Does anybody know a company that sells lights not made in China?

Do NOT turn this thread into a debate about things made in China. Let us just focus on the question at hand. If you want to start a China vs. USA products thread, start a new one.

Thanks.

-Richard

I just did a quick Google search and don't know if these lights are made in the USA or just a 'Light Tester" that was on the same page is (like I have that kind of time! :P), but tell your friend to contact them for more info:

http://www.NoveltyLights.com

Other than that it looks like we are being held hostage by those weasels in China for our Christmas lights. THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!

Oh, sorry.

Never mind.

:P

That would be nice to buy US made lights, but I bet they would cost 3 times as much or more. I have worked for both Philips Lighting and Sylvania Lighting and neither plant did Christmas lights. Philips was in Warren, Pa and Sylvania in St. Mary's, Pa

Philips closed on me and moved our plant to Mexico, I have no idea if the Sylvania plant is still running or not.

An aweful lot of light bulb productsare made in Peurto Rico. There is a special income tax exemption on profits on things made in Peurto Rico and sold in the USA. It has something to do with taxation without representation but also congress added to this spirit and gave exemptions to help out the economies of the US non-voting territories. As you know if you move to Peurto Rico, you are still an American Citizen inside the USA but have no voting rights in anything federally related including presidential elections.

Some companies find it cheaper to produce products in Peurto Rico and other possessions of the USA because lack of income taxability on those profits offsets cheaper labor in foriegn countries.

A company called Inliten, LLC is an American company that makes Christmas lights in Glenview, IL. They are the company that holds the rights and trademark to a company known as NOMA, which was the first maker of Christmas lights back in the 50-60's. Doesn't get anymore American then that.

Silverado05 wrote:

A company called Inliten, LLC is an American company that makes Christmas lights in Glenview, IL. They are the company that holds the rights and trademark to a company known as NOMA, which was the first maker of Christmas lights back in the 50-60's. Doesn't get anymore American then that.

I believe that ACEhardware sells Inliten lights but I can't seem to find any now.

Found Inliten's website http://www.inliten.com but there is nothing on it.

Found another hardware store that sells Inliten lights but nothing that says made in USA. http://brands.hardwarestore.com/inliten-noma-christmas.aspx

They are also sold under the name NOMA which is an American company and are also made in the USA. Read the About me section of inliten. Just do a search for lights made by inliten or NOMA. NOMA should be a well known brand by a lot of older people here. They were the first company to manufactur and sale Christmas lights out of NY.

Silverado05 wrote:

They are also sold under the name NOMA which is an American company and are also made in the USA. Read the About me section of inliten. Just do a search for lights made by inliten or NOMA. NOMA should be a well known brand by a lot of older people here. They were the first company to manufactur and sale Christmas lights out of NY.

Seems like automation equipment can manufacture and package lights and the equipment is as expensive in China as it is here. Not sure its all that much more expensive to make here considering you dont have to ship as far, etc.

Not only that but the very weak dollar has caused an enourmous boost in sales of American goods overseas. I read somewhere that Fords and Chevy models are among the most affordable automobiles in Europe due to the weak dollar and GM is considering reopening a couple plants this spring to keep up with the very strong demand out of Europe and Asia.

IN the past the American economy tugged the rest of the world out of recession, well we might be now in a global economy position where for a change the rest of the world will tug the American economy along and maybe avoid a recession on our continent. But then high price of fuel is killing China's competitive advantage because the cost of shipping is skyrocketing so bad.

JimBatt wrote:

That would be nice to buy US made lights, but I bet they would cost 3 times as much or more. I have worked for both Philips Lighting and Sylvania Lighting and neither plant did Christmas lights. Philips was in Warren, Pa and Sylvania in St. Mary's, Pa

Philips closed on me and moved our plant to Mexico, I have no idea if the Sylvania plant is still running or not.

Well, remember that the question was not regarding lights made in the U.S., but rather lights not made in China. So, lights made in Mexico, Puerto Rico, India, Antarctica, etc., would all qualify.

As China's standard of living improves, their competitive advantage will diminish w.r.t. inexpensive labor. That's what happened with Japan and Taiwan, IIRC.

Noma were also known as a Canadian Companyi remember them when i was a kid [Canadian Tire ]sells a lot of there product STILLand it has been said here on pc that there products are not up to par on led lighting too dim another one i seen here is Holiday Creations U.S.A.