I shut the lights down last night and then

LEPRECAUN

Anice elderly women knocked on my door. I answered the door and she said her husband had just got out of the hospital from open heart surgery and her son was visiting from out of town.

She asked me if I could turn the lights and music back on for them . How could I say no. I was happy too. Anyone else ever had anything like this happen to them. It would be nice to hear other peoples stories.

Ken

I was running the show until 10:30 PM and last Friday (Saturday?) two cars came up the street at around 10:45, and sat there for like 2 minutes. They then left, but I saw them and went to set the LOR Schedule to 11:15 PM. Our street is a dead end so when they came back around they stayed and watched the entire show. I think they stayed through more than one show (12 minutes each). Also, a few cars came by at that time.

I'm still getting compliments and requests to see the display now that it's after Christmas. I'm very happy!

Greg

I got a knock on the door a few weeks ago around 6:30 (my lights go on at 6) and the woman (who spoke little English) tried to tell me "No music? My mother see lights! No music?" I finally realized I had turned off the transmitter earlier that day to do some sequencing on the inside speakers and had forgotten to plug it back in.

And then yesterday my neighbor told me that on Christmas Eve there were cars backed up on the street when the lights went out at 10 (it WAS Monday night, after all). We were at a party and didn't get home until after 11.

Guest Jeff_Womack

I have had several instances like that. My favorite ones involve PC/TCL members though. One year about 3 years ago I had to shut down earlier than normal because I had an upcoming AIr Force class to go to and I needed to get the display down and stored before that. So I set my shut down night schedule and at one minute past the appointed time I shut everything down. Within an hour I had all the wireframes disconnected and moved into the backyard and many of the extension cords taken up and piled into a big pile out back. Then Mike Voulgaris, his wife, and some freinds show up to see who could have actually beat them in the county wide competition. Well I couldn't exactly show them anymore but he wondered for the upcoming year how good my display was!

I had a similar situation a couple years ago where someone came and knocked on our door on New Years night ( we are only lit til New Years Eve) and said her mother had been in the hospital all thru the holidays and just got out and wanted to see the lights. I went out and plugged in all the controllers and mains back in and ran a few sequences for her from the sequencer. She loved them . She has come back each year since and still thanks us for doing that for her that one year.

On Christmas Eve I had come home from a couple of parties and I left the lights on till 11:30, because traffic had been pretty heavy on the weekend. Well when I pulled in there was probably about 10 to 12 cars line down the street. The lights were off at 11:30 and it was probably around 11:35. When I got out of my car a lady asked me if the show was stuck. I laughed and said it wasn't, but it was done for the night. So after she begged for a little bit, and the guy behind her beeped, I came in and put the show on for one more round.

Thank goodness the neighbors love the show and don't have a problem with the traffic. I could only imagine what it was like when I wasn't home. ;)

Greg

I had my neighbor come over to compliment the lights but also to ask me to move some LED snowflake lights from the side of the house because they were shining in his window every few seconds keeping him awake for work. He has to go to work at like 3:00 am so i moved them to the roof from the left side of my house wear they were.

Btw the rain knocked my GFCI's out again! Blah BOOOO to proper codes!

She asked me if I could turn the lights and music back on for them . How could I say no. I was happy too. Anyone else ever had anything like this happen to them. It would be nice to hear other peoples stories.

I turned them off last night at 11 PM. Right as I did, a big group of men (40-50 y/o) were walking by, all dressed in suits. I'm guessing they were guests at a house somewhere in the neighborhood.

They said, "We saw you on the news a couple days ago and were coming by to see the lights. Could you turn them back on?"

I felt the same way. How could I say no? It was Christmas afterall.

So I turned them on for another 15 minutes and then shut them off.

I had some to come by an hour after shutdown wanting to turn them back on. Well the family was a sleep so I told them it will be back on the next night at 6pm.

Even though they hadn't been sleeping, it would have taken me 10-15 minutes to program the show to run longer.

Next year, I'll have a run anytime card programmed in case this happens again.

You guys are neophytes.

HERE'S what you say to people that want to see your show after it's shut down for the evening:

Them: "Can you PLEASE turn your lights on for us?"

You: "It's all computer controlled. I have no control over it;"

Them: "PLEEEEEEEEEASE?"

You: "I'll go see what I can do..."

<You then go inside, have a beer (or two) then go back out and say...>

You: "OK. I reprogrammed another 20 minutes of run time and I just IPL'ed the processor. You'll have to wait for the tapes to load."

Them: "How long will that take?"

You: "I don't know - usually 30 minutes* or so."

The problem is solved. :P

*you might need to make this longer depending on how desperate they appear.

Guest johnny christmas

ChuckHutchings wrote:

You guys are neophytes.

HERE'S what you say to people that want to see your show after it's shut down for the evening:

You: "OK. I reprogrammed another 20 minutes of run time and I just IPL'ed the processor. You'll have to wait for the tapes to load."

is that while youre holding a bag of cement over your shoulder? :P

LEPRECAUN wrote:

Anice elderly women knocked on my door. I answered the door and she said her husband had just got out of the hospital from open heart surgery and her son was visiting from out of town.

Well a story like yours I could go for. I have a story but not nice like yours. It happened last year and only time ever... got a knock on the door at 3 AM... some drunken woman at the door, wearing miniskirt and no panties, gives me a slurred drunken request to turn the lights on for her and buddies and then I get"flashed" up goes the miniskirt (hense I know about the no underwear).... well flattered I and others in the house needless to be said were pissed but being a nice guy I made up a story about having a settlement with neighbors and I cant legally run them after midnight and come back tomorrow night.... with some underwear on, I have small children visiting the display dont need to look up her dress at that!

by the time all that transpired, it would have been easier to run the show !

ChuckHutchings wrote:

You guys are neophytes.

you must have some uuuuuuuugly women where you live !!!!

Joseph Ayo wrote:

Well a story like yours I could go for. I have a story but not nice like yours. It happened last year and only time ever... got a knock on the door at 3 AM... some drunken woman at the door, wearing miniskirt and no panties, gives me a slurred drunken request to turn the lights on for her and buddies and then I get"flashed" up goes the miniskirt (hense I know about the no underwear).... well flattered I and others in the house needless to be said were pissed

Kind of ironic, but this just happened to me for the first time last night.There wasn't any hospital stories involved, just a carload of teenagers. The one that was brave enough to come to the door was very polite and I told him I'd fire up 2 more songs. I told him that I hate shutting down early but the neighbors need a break.

Earlier in the season I had 'Christmas Carolers' - 3 boys that definitely needed singing lessons! But what they really wanted were the speakers turned on so they could hear the music since they were just walking by.

I recognized 2 of these kids as ones that were asking me about my display around Halloween when I was working with my halloween decorations. Very nice and pleasent kids, and they stood out front listening to the music and watching the show.