Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
christmaslover012

HUGE Trees

I have 3 trees along the road, out in front of my house and they are Popal(?). They are about 3 to 4 stories tall, and I would love to light them up for Christmas next year. They are way too big to wrap in lights, they would need ten-thousands of lights each. Does anybody have good ideas of how I can light these up?

Thanks.

Others would be much better to answer this than me but... I have 5 huge Oak trees in my yard that I am wanting to do something with also. I think because of the size of the trees I am going to put some large snowflakes scattered through the trees, maybe 10 per and some strobes. At least thats the thoughts for now. With the snowflakes blinking on/off and the strobes coming on every once in a while it ought to be real nice.

I have 4 pretty large trees in my front yard. The are taller than my two story house. Your trees may be larger, but I wrapped the main branches of mine almost all the way up. I had to rent a man lift in order to reach the tops of the trees. These trees take between 10,000 to 20,000 per tree. If I can help, let me know.

I have one large tree which I do the same thing to - nothing beats wrapping them up as far as you can.

fkostyun wrote:

I have one large tree which I do the same thing to - nothing beats wrapping them up as far as you can.

Have you just wrapped them as far as you can?

If so, do you have a picture?

cuonebay wrote:

I have 4 pretty large trees in my front yard. The are taller than my two story house. Your trees may be larger, but I wrapped the main branches of mine almost all the way up. I had to rent a man lift in order to reach the tops of the trees. These trees take between 10,000 to 20,000 per tree. If I can help, let me know.

Can you advise us how you wire the 10,000 to 20,000 lights per tree? Are you using extension cords or straight wiring into multiple sets of lights?

Thanks for any insight.

I, too, have a large tree in my front yard. I was thinking about stringing lights in such a way as to make the lights look like a tall wineglass. The strings start about four feet off the ground at the trunk, swing out freelywith the other end of the string attached at the top. With 48 or 64 strings of lights hung this way and put on individual controllers, it wouldhave the effect of an inverted mega tree (at least that's what I'm hoping)...:)

J.D.

I, too, have a large tree in my front yard. I was thinking about stringing lights in such a way as to make the lights look like a tall wineglass. The strings start about four feet off the ground at the trunk, swing out freelywith the other end of the string attached at the top. With 48 or 64 strings of lights hung this way and put on individual controllers, it wouldhave the effect of an inverted mega tree (at least that's what I'm hoping)...:)

J.D.

Ya i have a huge tree to so this year at the50% off sales i bougt eight boxes of multi c-9s and i'm just gonna go to the top and make them go straight down.

I would love to do this to some of the trees in my yard. This was my first year using animation with lights and had an overwhelming response from all neighboring communities as we live somewhat in the sticks and there isn't much around here. I am pretty new to all of this and have learned alot by reading all the posts, and I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but how do you get all those lights on the tree, when most sets state that only 3 sets can be connected together?????? We have decorated our acre front lot and used miles of extension cords. I would really like to know how this tree wrapping is done.Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!

We have five large pecan trees in our front yard. Each year we rent a towable, 50' boom lift and even with that lift we cannot reach everywhere we want. (see pic)

We use (55) 2'x10' commerical 150ct. net lights for the trunks and the main branches and each tree gets about 20 regular 100ct. minis in the smaller branches. The total bulb count for the five trees is around 18,000.

We circuit each tree in low, mid and high and the branches get the 4th circuit.

If you can find a way to decorate your big trees, I would highly recommend it. People LOVE to see lights up high because it isn't something you see every day.

I don't have a pic of the tree with lights but you can check out a video on our website.

Charles