Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
christmaslover012

Artifical Trees Outside

I recently looked at pictures of Bryce's display from KindlaChristmas. And I fell in love with his tree. I've heard of others using Artifical Trees outside. If I was going to get a 9ft to 12ft tree, how do I secure it outside? And, how do I prevent it from rusting?

Thanks.

--What about UV Protection too?

Should I just get an Outdoor rated tree? If so, where can I find one? Thanks.

Christmaslover, this is my second year with a artifical tree outside. I used 4 guy wires that are stacked down into the ground. I also used a tree stand and stacked that into the ground. The tree is small about 5 feet, compared to what you are looking for. I picked the tree up at a tag sale. Last year I had regular C7 bulbs on it and this year i converted to LEDs.....

here are some pics...

last year

http://hs.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30071084&id=1084470275

http://hs.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30083306&id=1084470275

this year

http://hs.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30232838&l=1e267&id=1084470275

http://hs.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30232842&id=1084470275

hope this helps!

A very strong base and strong stakes and guy wires. I had a bad time with a 12 footer I had put up. I staked it and thought it would be good. The wind took it down creating a mess of things. I put it back up and staked it to with stand a hurricane.

A few weeks later we got hit with 50mph wind gust. The stakes worked well unfortunately when they built the tree theyplacedfive screws into the center pole to close to each other IMO which caused a weak spot and the tree snapped in half at that spot while it wasstill staked to the ground. What a disaster that was.

I bought (6) 6' trees with plans to use them outside

The I realized what a pain it would be to take them down & setup

And I don't have a place to store them fully assembled

we have 8 treees outside this year and what i did was cut the base end of the tree off. drove rebar a couple of feet into the grond and stuck the trees over the rebar. work great and stood up to 40 mph winds.

This was also our second year of using artificial trees outside. We had 8 four foot trees all with fairy lights (mini's) and the only problem we have is spiders. We spray them with insecticide before puting a garbage bag over the top and storing fully assembled (we have the space to store them)

We have noticed a bit of fading and rust spots at the ends of the trees - but they were cheap enough and if we get a few seasons out of them - great.

I found them easier to do than make my own mini trees and they look good in the daytime as well.

Cheers

CraigG

I used a 7' artificail tree for land scaping. The neighbors put up a big white ugly fence, and I wanted something to break up the white. I used the old artificial tree that I'd be using indoors for the previous 15 Christmases. It was getting old and worn and a couple branches were broken. I just took some big spikes (about 12" long) and and spiked the 4 legs of the base into the ground. It stood there for about 5 years until I had something better to put in it's place. It looked great, especially when you got more than a few feet away from it.

You should be able to spray the tree with Armor-all to help prevent UV damage. You're on your own for rust, though WD40 or CRC 666 might help.

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

You should be able to spray the tree with Armor-all to help prevent UV damage. You're on your own for rust, though WD40 or CRC 666 might help.

D.T.

Thanks for the tip!

I've picked out a 10ft Pre-Lit Tree from Home Depot, would the Armor-All affect the lights?

I used 8 5' artifical trees this season and they have held up pretty good so far. Here is a shot of some of them.

houselights200710.jpg

HI...

This year I displayed 49 (no typo) artificial trees that ranged from 2' to 8' tall. some of my trees have been displayed for 6 years. Yes. there is some rust (very little) that is only visiable if you are 3 or 4 feet away.

Bob

I have various sizes outside for 5ft to 7.5 ft. All of them are on crummy plastic stands and staked and tied off with mason line. Next year I'm getting rid of the stands and using rebar pounded in the ground and just set the trees over the rebar. Hopefully I can get rid of the stakes and string.

Oh yea... if they get wet they will rust. I picked these tress up at local thrift store for $3.00 each so no great loss if they rust out in 2 years.

Here is a pic..

100_5164.jpg

Our forest of 19 artificial trees ranges in size from 4 to 15 ft. We use rebar driven into the ground several feet with the rebar real close to the tree trunk. Secure the tree to the rebar with twist-ems, cable ties or whatever. The 4 ft trees only need one rebar , the 7 and 9 footers get 2 rebars and the 15 footer gets 3 rebars . No guy wires needed . The forest has withstood all the elements for years including very high winds with no problems.

I used to use alot of trees ranging from 4 to 9 ft but recently built my new 16ft monster. I am building more and if anyone is interested I will help in any way I can. plans, selling, etc.

-jds

M-xmastreehouse.jpg

M-IMG_2479.JPG

I used to use alot of trees ranging from 4 to 9 ft but recently built my new 16ft monster. I am building more and if anyone is interested I will help in any way I can. plans, selling, etc.

-jds

M-xmastreehouse.jpg

M-IMG_2479.JPG

christmaslover012 wrote:

...how do I secure it outside? And, how do I prevent it from rusting?

I have three 7 footers. I strapped the metal stand to a piece of painted plywood (so it doesn't sink in the dirt). Then I use but stakes to hold the wood down. Has some wind this year so next year I'll use tome lines to hold them better.

They rust, so I just spray some green rustoleum on the rust.

Do a Google search for 'uv spray' and take your pick :) (Armor All should not bother the lights, unlike WD40 might.

Matthew-

christmaslover012 wrote:

...how do I secure it outside? And, how do I prevent it from rusting?

I have three 7 footers. I strapped the metal stand to a piece of painted plywood (so it doesn't sink in the dirt). Then I use but stakes to hold the wood down. Has some wind this year so next year I'll use tome lines to hold them better.

They rust, so I just spray some green rustoleum on the rust.

Do a Google search for 'uv spray' and take your pick :) (Armor All should not bother the lights, unlike WD40 might.

Matthew-

joshschaf wrote:

-jds

M-xmastreehouse.jpg

M-IMG_2479.JPG

How tall is that tree pictured? It is gorgeous!

Let's pretend I didn't ask that! I need to learn how to read!

Can you send me some plans of how you built it? I can PM you my e-mail if you need to send them via e-mail.

Well I bought 14 3 ft trees from walmart in the after Christmas sales to put out in the yard and fill them with lights. At least this way they will look nice during the day as well as at night with all the lights on.

What about something like the Animated Lighting Animated Holiday Trees? They are basically a Z-tree minus the garland?

Obvisiouly it wouldn't be as appealing in the daytime.

Without animation, would I be better building a Mega Tree, than building a Z-tree minus the garland?

My tree is a steel Z tree with 275 strands of 9ft branch garland.

here are some pics of the 3 pieces that made up the tree.

M-100_0400.JPG