Sunbeam LED lights - JCPenny

My wife found JCPenny selling 35ct LED lights on sale for 70% off. They are made by Sunbeam. On the box it says connect 3500 lights or 1000 feet of lights together safely with one power cord. It has special connectors for similar to rope light. They look like they might be a C6 size. Tag on the light string says made in China and it has a red tag with a logo that spells Csa with US underneath. There is no UL tag at all and nothing listed on the box. :X Canada was printed on the tag too.

I haven't googled any of this yet but was wondering if anyone had any experience with these? Are they good quality? How well do they work? Are they a safety hazzard? Should we high tail it back to the store and return them or buy more?

Oh yea, the regular price for 35ct was $17.99 :shock: Yikes. They were $4.58 after 70% off and then another 15% off the total.

Added:

CSA is Canadian Standards Association http://www.csa.ca/

Can't find anything about the Sunbeam Christmas lights.

White tag says you can connect 100 sets of 35ct together. 1.6watts, 3.5 inch bulb spacing.

Came with 2 replaceable LEDs.

3amp fuse in power cord.

My wife found JCPenny selling 35ct LED lights on sale for 70% off. They are made by Sunbeam. On the box it says connect 3500 lights or 1000 feet of lights together safely with one power cord. It has special connectors for similar to rope light. They look like they might be a C6 size. Tag on the light string says made in China and it has a red tag with a logo that spells Csa with US underneath. There is no UL tag at all and nothing listed on the box. :X Canada was printed on the tag too.

I haven't googled any of this yet but was wondering if anyone had any experience with these? Are they good quality? How well do they work? Are they a safety hazzard? Should we high tail it back to the store and return them or buy more?

Oh yea, the regular price for 35ct was $17.99 :shock: Yikes. They were $4.58 after 70% off and then another 15% off the total.

Added:

CSA is Canadian Standards Association http://www.csa.ca/

Can't find anything about the Sunbeam Christmas lights.

White tag says you can connect 100 sets of 35ct together. 1.6watts, 3.5 inch bulb spacing.

Came with 2 replaceable LEDs.

3amp fuse in power cord.

hatter i had told my wife to pick some of these up and poof .. she brings home 25 boxes!! i hadnt noticed them not having UL tags until reading your post.seems that they are CSA rated file no. 224648 model no. 82757.. now just to find out what/who CSA is....i can tell you they "LOOK" like pretty good lights. although most here do not like being able to change the bulbs.i guess we will find out more when we use them next year.this year i used many strings of the sams club lights. had one bulb bad on one string . switched it and they worked fine. they are identical to the walmart C-7 like LED's except they are spaced much closer. also using the C-7 walmart units. and the small dome sears & kmart brand. all having bulbs you can change.

i had read on another thread about folks who have puschased these lights last year and had no problems with them. so thats a good thing!! Jim

hatter i had told my wife to pick some of these up and poof .. she brings home 25 boxes!! i hadnt noticed them not having UL tags until reading your post.seems that they are CSA rated file no. 224648 model no. 82757.. now just to find out what/who CSA is....i can tell you they "LOOK" like pretty good lights. although most here do not like being able to change the bulbs.i guess we will find out more when we use them next year.this year i used many strings of the sams club lights. had one bulb bad on one string . switched it and they worked fine. they are identical to the walmart C-7 like LED's except they are spaced much closer. also using the C-7 walmart units. and the small dome sears & kmart brand. all having bulbs you can change.

i had read on another thread about folks who have puschased these lights last year and had no problems with them. so thats a good thing!! Jim

i checked the csa website and all it tells you about the product is what count and types that are approved. im going to hook some up and run them on my box to see how they do with the "flash off on".. i did buy some sylvania lights before christmas and they wouldnt flash. would come on and then just dim on the "OFF" beat.. i'll post the results ..

The JC Penny near me has a ton of them. When I saw the $17.99 price tag I had to laugh. No wonder why they have so many.

They also had a dozen Light & sounds of Christmas' they were reg price of $199.. Where do they come up with thier prices?

I'll hold out and see if they have them when they go 90% off.

Not really sure what I could do with short cord sets like that anyway.

Maybe mini trees or wreaths

cars06 wrote:

chris although they are short.. you can string together 100 sets lol that would be pretty long!i havent seen any of the 70 count sets .. has anyone else??

DUH!! Sometimes I'm so dense. I'm gonna check tommorow and see how much and how many they have left?

while putting away all the blowmolds i got this year(wow they take up alot of storage) i plugged the sunbeams into my MR.Christmas box and they have been working for a few hours. so far so good. of course the box im using does not fade but does alot of off and on : ) i really like the threaded connections!! i may run and see if they have marked them down further !!! Jim :o)

Here in IL. they didn`t like the rain or snow made a 10ft.tree with them and they stopped working after being in the rian and cold . Had to bring them in to dry them out ,two sets did not work took them back got two more ,the wife used them on her tree in her living room seemed to work good inside so good luck if you use them outside. I did try to fade them with a two way fader and they did stop working

my 210 ct sunbeams I have 4 sets that I didnt return last year and they were all outside buried under the snow for the most part. ( the one thing I dont like about led is they dont melt the snow) anyway they have been working with my Mr Christmas for 2 seasons and no problems with them. I did have 5 lights out in 1 set and 2 in another set. Next year maybe I will just run them along the ceiling instead! LOL

I was at Penny's tonight and sure enough they had the 35 strings for $5. I still thought that was way too high... You can easilly get 70count Sunbeam strings on sale at Menards before the clearance sales for around $10... Who on earth pays $18 for 35 lights??

For the extra 15% off I MAY have taken that, but I didn't have that option tonight...

-Tim

well i dried out the sunbeams that i bought a week or two ago and sat outside on the deck for a test to see how they would hold up to the weather and the flashing. lost one bulb on one set. took out a few bulbs and switched them into the socket that was out. NONE of the bulbs would work. tonight my brother comes over and i have him look at them . and in just a few minutes he has them working. the socket was wired backwards. all the new bulbs would complete the circuit but wouldnt lite until we reversed the bulb.i guess they knew it at the factory and reversed a bulb in a socket .. not nice lol worst of all after less than two weeks outside the sunbeams were already showing sings of rust..like all the removable bulbLED's ive purchased they too will rust up and ruin. so its back to the stores for ALL of them !!!and the search is on for sealed LED's : ) i got to get with it though.. only11 monthsto get it alltogether!!!! Jim :o)

You are Sooooo lucky to find these.I have at least 10,000 of these from last year.In all I have only lost about 4 LED's due to Rusting of the LED leads

They are made for Sunbeam or Jarden by a side company.They used to sell them at Menards but they have discontinued them.The company that did the manufacture for Sunbeam now makes the LED lights for Menards.They are the same except for the connectors to connect them together.Moisture is the only bad thing about these LED's.My LED's went through the whole gambit this year from warm to cold and from dry to wet then freezing..etc.They really are a great find.Word of advice..If you find the white ones buy them all.They are a cool white(6500 k) and are more attractive than the warm white(incandescent).I wish we had a JC penny here again.

You are very Lucky.I'd love to find a deal like that on these.

WisChristmas

WisChristmas wrote:

They are made for Sunbeam or Jarden by a side company.They used to sell them at Menards but they have discontinued them.The company that did the manufacture for Sunbeam now makes the LED lights for Menards.They are the same except for the connectors to connect them together.

The main issue I've had so far with the Sunbeam/Menards lights is that the bulbs have to be shoved in extremely far in the socket. There are little flip-down tabs that hold the bulbs in the sockets, and I had a few of these break off. Without them, the bulb will not make contact. I ended up hot-gluing several bulbs in the socket to save the strings (and these were all brand-new, never used strings).

I use the mini-style bulbs, not sure if the same is true for the C6's.

As noted, the "menards" lights lack the locking connector for chaining lights, which I missed, they use standard 2-prong plugs, with the inherent "3-string" limitation that can be safely broken if you only chain LED's...

-Tim