Wire Frame Bulb Maintenance

This year we had 72 wire frame deer and 28 wire frame trees in our display.I have attached a photo of the deer just before I put them away for the season. This was the first season for some items and season 12 for others. This year I made a concerted effort to keep everything in the display working. I found that I was changing 3 to 20 bulbs per night on the wire frames alone. I could not discern a pattern of failure based on the age of the wire frame. Failures truly seemed random with one exception. We had two torrential rainfalls this season, over 3 inches each time. I do not turn my display off during rain, I have taken measures to protect all of the plugs and outlets so the only real issues are the bulb sockets. After each rainfall I had 10 to 12 wire frames that had multiple bulb failure.

Does anyone else keep track of there bulb failures? What type of trends did you see? Were you changing bulbs on a nightly basis?

This year we had 72 wire frame deer and 28 wire frame trees in our display.I have attached a photo of the deer just before I put them away for the season. This was the first season for some items and season 12 for others. This year I made a concerted effort to keep everything in the display working. I found that I was changing 3 to 20 bulbs per night on the wire frames alone. I could not discern a pattern of failure based on the age of the wire frame. Failures truly seemed random with one exception. We had two torrential rainfalls this season, over 3 inches each time. I do not turn my display off during rain, I have taken measures to protect all of the plugs and outlets so the only real issues are the bulb sockets. After each rainfall I had 10 to 12 wire frames that had multiple bulb failure.

Does anyone else keep track of there bulb failures? What type of trends did you see? Were you changing bulbs on a nightly basis?

post-2608-129571022212_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I go by the "Bathtub Curve".

The failure curve stars low when lights come out of the box new, then for 2-3 years there is great performance with little to no failures,after that,lights start to fail regularly. At the 3-4 year period, I replace 100% of the light bulbs in themotifs, sometimesover2,000 bulbs in individual motifs. My justification is that during the season, there is no time foravoidable repairs. January and February are repair months. Burned out bulbs comprise about 99% of the repairs.

WOWW! That is quite a herd you have there. Are they on controllers? Animated? How do you set them up in your display? I saw a thread in the LED forum once about using some sort of sealer to prevent corrosion. Don't know if this would help in your case.

I have been working on the display for 15 years. I had 192 channels of LOR last year. That gave me enough to control each wireframe individually. I do not have any good pictures that really show the entire yard but I have attached one that shows the center of the front yard. I took a tip from Chuck and made an effort to give each deer its own personality and character. I added blue or green lights for eyes and removed all the tags off of the wires. My wife gave each deer a unique ribbon around its neck.

post-2608-129571025864_thumb.jpg