received a letter,,,

...that complained about my display. It was signed by 30 people.

I have 41 inflatables in my display. Most are snowmen, and all different.

Last year I put a penguin in the middle of the bunch that was holding a sign that said "I HATE SNOWMEN". Got lots of laughs and good comments.

This year I got a Cabelas snowman as a gift. He has an orange cap, cammo vest and a full height shotgun leaning on him. Put him up in the opposite side of the yard and put a sign on him that said "Where's that penguin?"

The letter complained that my humor was off color. Also said "perhaps PETA would be interested in seeing the pictures".

Is what I did really offensive? I saw it only as fun...need some input please, because I might be thinking wrong here.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...that complained about my display. It was signed by 30 people.

I have 41 inflatables in my display. Most are snowmen, and all different.

Last year I put a penguin in the middle of the bunch that was holding a sign that said "I HATE SNOWMEN". Got lots of laughs and good comments.

This year I got a Cabelas snowman as a gift. He has an orange cap, cammo vest and a full height shotgun leaning on him. Put him up in the opposite side of the yard and put a sign on him that said "Where's that penguin?"

The letter complained that my humor was off color. Also said "perhaps PETA would be interested in seeing the pictures".

Is what I did really offensive? I saw it only as fun...need some input please, because I might be thinking wrong here.

I think it is funny.

But I am a southern male, gun ownin', redneck (and proud of it). I am sorry that there are 30 pansies in you state that don't get hunting humor.

For what it's worth, I am a member of PETA too: People Eating Tasty Animals.

I think it is funny.

But I am a southern male, gun ownin', redneck (and proud of it). I am sorry that there are 30 pansies in you state that don't get hunting humor.

Your letter was probably signed by one a$$ and his 30 closest "friends"/family.

Ignore it.

If your comments are from neighbors complaining about traffic/light brightness/whatever, they *might* have some merit to consider. But comments about your display content, unless you're doing something incredibly non-tasteful, are inappropriate and should be filed in the circular bin.

After all, would you drive by someone's house, say "my gawd, they have a blue front door, how tacky", then proceed to write them a letter saying how ugly their door is and have it endorsed by 29 friends?

-Tim

Your letter was probably signed by one a$$ and his 30 closest "friends"/family.

Ignore it.

If your comments are from neighbors complaining about traffic/light brightness/whatever, they *might* have some merit to consider. But comments about your display content, unless you're doing something incredibly non-tasteful, are inappropriate and should be filed in the circular bin.

After all, would you drive by someone's house, say "my gawd, they have a blue front door, how tacky", then proceed to write them a letter saying how ugly their door is and have it endorsed by 29 friends?

-Tim

I should add that we received a similar letter a few years back. It was unsigned, placed in our mailbox (a federal crime, by the way), and essentially said "we enjoyed looking at your lights, but as athiests we were highly offended by your religious content and request that it be removed". They went on to say that it was unfair that if they were to create a displayin honor of"another imaginary character, like Satan" that the city would never allow that and they would get shut down.

I really wished I could have replied. I would have started by explaining the 1st ammendment gives me the right to celebrate Christmas as I see fit on my own private property. I would have then went on to say that if he truly wanted to celebrate a holiday in honor of Satan, and wasn't just doing it to yank people's chains, I would fully support his right to do so. The same 1st ammendment that protects me, protects him as well...

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

I should add that we received a similar letter a few years back. It was unsigned, placed in our mailbox (a federal crime, by the way), and essentially said "we enjoyed looking at your lights, but as athiests we were highly offended by your religious content and request that it be removed". They went on to say that it was unfair that if they were to create a displayin honor of"another imaginary character, like Satan" that the city would never allow that and they would get shut down.

What an idiot. Perhaps he didn't notice that EVERYBODY'S Christmas display is filled with imaginary characters (Santa, Elves, Rudolph, Snowmen, etc) and they don't get shut down.

I think when most people say "I'm offended" they really mean "I want some attention and - hopefully - some free money."

tfischer wrote:

I really wished I could have replied. I would have started by explaining the 1st ammendment gives me the right to celebrate Christmas as I see fit on my own private property. I would have then went on to say that if he truly wanted to celebrate a holiday in honor of Satan, and wasn't just doing it to yank people's chains, I would fully support his right to do so. The same 1st ammendment that protects me, protects him as well...

-Tim

Now I am going to say something that might get me in trouble(AGAIN)

I too am not a religious man, I find that a cross and a yield sign have about the same meaning. that being said, If they were truly athiests wouldn't all the religious meaning mean absolutly nothing to them? They don't believe in either God or the Devil? Therefore a cross and or any other symbols would have no meaning for them to get offended about?!??!?

I don't know, I know that the25th of December is CHRISTmas and I would never take my Merry CHRISTmas sign and change it to happy holidays! Just b/c I don't believe does not mean that I don't know what the day/celabration is for!!!!

Anyway's I would just tell people like that to pound sand and have aMerry CHRISTmas to bad you didn't have the chance too.

Lee

Dale W wrote:

I think it is funny.

AMEN! :]

If your neighbors have that much of a problem with your lights my way of solving it is taking a bright spotlight and have throughout the show it flash towards there house. Put it on a big pole or something at the corner of your house so it shines right in there windows. and have it go on the most in every song! This is what my dad did when our neighbors didnt like his band practicing in our studio every thursday night (he turned it up louder and louder and then had 2 practices a week until they moved away) LOL Now we have kewl neighbors

I always find displays that go beyond Jesus and Santa to be the most interesting. It shows originality and thinking outside of tradition.

The only reason I can see how someone might be offended is some kid seeing the "I hate snowmen" sign and the next time someone at school says to him "I hate you", you've got a Columbine style massacre. But of course that goes back to parents who don't teach their kids not to bully and those who don't teach their kids to talka bout their feelings.

OK enough Mr Rogers for today...

ARGH! DOUBLE ARGH!

Ok seriously folks, I'm moving to another country - And if Obama or Clinton wins, this is just going to get worse on all of us. We are WAY TOO SENSITIVE. Remember all the crap about zombies looking like lynching victims at Halloween....

Fight back with more inflateables next year!

And remember, if God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Thats the stupidiest thing I have heard...do they think just because they dont like it that your gonna just take it all down and never put it up again....people these days dont thik about what they are saying and then they......what was I saying....:laughing:

If they want something to complain about...

I'd love to show them the picture from one of my college professors..Whether it was his original idea or not I'm not sure.....His wife had a 6' santa statue in the front yard. As a joke, he dressed it up in full Camo....stuck a plastic shotgun next to it....took one of the lighted reindeer and hung it head down from the tree about a foot off the ground.....then to make it worse.....plugged in a pile of red lights under it. Nothing like a display of Santa skinning Rudolph

Trust me....your display is humorous.....

njcoastline wrote:

And remember, if God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

I preffer" If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't had made them so TASTY"......Pass the A1 sauce!!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: