Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
MrsLaFournaise

California Christmas Light Chapter

MrsLaFournaise wrote:

Constantly Christmas is another decorators forum. like PC and MHD... It is smaller than PC, but cozy ;-)

Christmas Ligths Community is a provider of webspace Forum Hosting for states who have formed or would like to form thier own local Christmas Lights Community. It is completely different than PC and the others in that the website and Forums for each state are just for that state to conduct their own discussions and workshops

<...>

I hope this helps answer the question :-)

Thanks for the info...i think that answers my question on those 2...never thought

about looking for other PC-like forums (with the exception of looking at myspace

groups) ... but whats MHD (i'm guessing another PC-type-site?)

I shoulda just tried typing in 'http://www.constantlychristmas.com' :) ...just went

looked around alittle there, might be cool/interesting...but i won't be joining that

one (looks like it wants and displays too much private info - like your real name)

The idea with 'Christmas Lights Community' with each state having its own

Forum/Site looks pretty cool :) (would be sorta cool to do a Colorado one but

dont think i'd want the responsibility of being Moderator :?...plus not sure there'd

be enough interest) ... of course looking it there is the exact same issue as the site

above --- too much (private) information for me

XmasLightGuy wrote:

MrsLaFournaise wrote:

I shoulda just tried typing in 'http://www.constantlychristmas.com' :) ...just went

looked around alittle there, might be cool/interesting...but i won't be joining that

one (looks like it wants and displays too much private info - like your real name)

That's exactly the intent of Constantly Christmas - to display real names, cities, and states, to allow those of us there to get to know each other. There's no hiding behind handles/nicknames/lack of addresses. (All of that displayed information is blocked from web crawlers, and visitors by the way).

Many of the "old-timers" are still actively posting there,and are much more apt to go the extra yard, and provide help to folks whom they get to know. Human nature is such thatfolks are muchmore inclined to help "John Smith" who lives in Tucson Arizona, than they are "computerhackernumber3", who lives in an undisclosed area.

That's the beauty of all of these different Christmas forums. Each one can be designed to operate differently, to meet the needs of its membership.

As Kerilyn stated, CC is cozy, and has become quite an extendedfamily...

If you like that type of open informational sharing environment, CC is a refreshing place to join. If you prefer anonymity, pick another site.

Greg

I would love to join (and I tried).. but I agree. Too much private information asked, actually Name, address, birthdate. Just missing the social security number and it is a formula for identity theft were the database to be breached. I guess I shall miss out on the community. Thanks for the invitation, thogh.

plistumi wrote:

I would love to join (and I tried).. but I agree. Too much private information asked, actually Name, address, birthdate. Just missing the social security number and it is a formula for identity theft were the database to be breached. I guess I shall miss out on the community. Thanks for the invitation, thogh.

If folks don't want to join a forum, that of course is fine.I am concerned other folks reading this post may get the idea they could fall victim to identity theft if they register their name, state, and city (or full address for that matter) with a forum. That will simply not occur with the registration requirements a numberl offorumsnow require.

CC, and I believe TLC/CLF/their state chapters (to get us back on topic), as well asother forumsrequire as a basic minimum real name, city and state information to be registered. Somerequire more than that basic information.

If PC required it (hint hint CS), it might go a long way to eliminate some (certainly not all) of the issues that we have had over the years. Human nature being what it is, folks tend to be on better behavior when folks reading their posts "know them" a little more,by real name, as opposed to being "known" bysome handle, living at a nondisclosed location.

In reality, folks think by using handles, and not disclosing addresses they are safe from being identified/located. There is nothing farther from the truth.

When I helped administer CC, I found it was actually quite easy to identify the home ISP of an individual user (when we verified a user supplied identity), even if they had a dynamically assigned address (vs a static one), which is the case with most using the internet. From there we couldconfirm their location down to the city level. That is how the authorities are able to track internet predators, etc although they have more robust means!

To take it to a basic level every PC on the internet has an ISP address signature if you will (that's not the most technically accurate of statements, but I hope you get the general idea)

Don't kid yourselves folks,the personal information you may be concerned about is already readily available on each of us, without registering on any forum! If you doubt that try a google search of your name/address, or better yet try a search for your wire telephone/cell phone number. You will be amazed at what you will find!

I also have to mention I find it interesting some folks in the past have expressed concerns about sharing basic information on a forum, while many of those same folks had their holiday displays listed on personal/public webpages, some even including directionsto their display!

In summary, there are a number of forums available to folks. Each one will have different requirements to join. Join those you are comfortable with, and by all means skip those you are not.

You should make your decisions for the right reasons though, and not base them onmuch of the mis-information wehave all receivedover the years, which is why I took the time away from editing Holiday Lights to hopefully address these legitimate concerns many folks have, that the above posters have taken the time to share with us.

Again KK, my apologies to you and others for what folks might consider a hijack of this thread. I did not post with the intent to get more folks signed up on any individual forum, but rather to help address some very common concerns. I think this post isin keeping with the intent of the thread,as hopefully it willhelp addresssimilar concernsfolks may have when considering registering for a chapter, etc!

Greg

Better sit down for this one ...

I agree with Greg 100% on his two recent posts. He said everything I would have, which is why I have not responded.

Don wrote:

Better sit down for this one ...

I agree with Greg 100% on his two recent posts. He said everything I would have, which is why I have not responded.

And Don, correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the posted above mentioned that they weren't sure if there was enough interest in Colorado...

Isn't there already a Colorado Christmas Chapter?

Ryan

rmjohn99 wrote:

And Don, correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the posted above mentioned that they weren't sure if there was enough interest in Colorado...

Isn't there already a Colorado Christmas Chapter?

Ryan

There is a member of PC from Colorado who has expressed interest in starting a chapter. However, other events have pre-occupied his time.

It isn't so much that the Forum asks for that info...Really what service on the net

doesn't anymore?? (plus as Greg said useing someone's IP address you can find out

allot) that part is really no big deal at all:)...

Its the fact that those sites displays stuff like that to anyone and everyone (thats why

wouldn't join)...wouldn't be a big deal if your name was really common but when its

very uncommon.......

I to have seen some people put not only pictures of their display, but also their full

name and address on their websites. Maybe i'm paranoid but i wouldn't do that...

sure i have a 'lights' webpage, but its just about lights...you can click every section/link

there and you won't see pic's of my display (and the address will never be there)

I was the one who mentioned Colorado...didn't see a link for it (i know there's a few

PC'ers here...i even went by one guys display in Dec...maybe i'm wrong on the 'not

enough interest thing...but i know in past years a couple people have tried to do

stuff like a CO mini-plus - as far as i know it never happened)

Because of my profession, a lot of my information is on public records. However, people have to know where to look to find. I was really looking forward to meeting people here in California, but I just do not have enough blind trust. The identity theft, theft and muggings have just hit me too close too many times.

And sorry about the birthdate. That was (unintended) misinformation. And, yes, al ot can be gleamed from an IP address, but do the majority of people have the knowhow to do it? No. Do they have the idea to look it up in the web to do so? Not really. But it takes one...

plistumi wrote:

I was really looking forward to meeting people here in California,
At least in Texas, the meetings are posted on the web site for anyone to see.

I don't see why California would do it any different.

Don wrote:

plistumi wrote: At least in Texas, the meetings are posted on the web site for anyone to see.

I don't see why California would do it any different.

Correct Don, as soon as we can get someone to volunteer to be our Website Gugru and help create a webpage for CA CLC then we will post all upcoming calendar events for each region on the front page (no reg required for viewing the front page) :laughing:

I do have now a Northern CA Area Coordinator the Sacaramento (and surrounding area) chapter! Between he and I there will be some local meetings set up in both the North and South this year. I still would like to find people interested in Starting up chapters in the other Regions of CA.

San Diego, Orange County, LA, Desert Communities, I.E. and San Francisco.

As a side note about the requirements of registration I think of al the forums that I belong to right now (even ones that are not Christmas related) PC is the only one that doesn't ask for a birthdate, real name and city in order to register with their sites.

For example one site told me that because it was a parenting site, they strictly enforce that same required info in order to protect their members from sexual predators posing as parents to gain access to its members. So maybe think of it in that way, as more of a protection of our members rather than some wild devious ploy to take someone's identity? :] I hope that our desire to protect our members at CA-CLC doesn't deter you from registering, but rather help you to feel safer with whom you are associating with. :)

Thanks!

XmasLightGuy wrote:

Whats 'Constantly Christmas'? i've seen that mentioned in other forums here

before.

It is one of the other Christmas display forums. Here are the ones I know about:

www.constantlychristmas.com

www.myholidaydisplays.com

www.mymerrychristmas.com

www.doityourselfchristmas.com

www.computerchristmas.com

TED

TED wrote:

XmasLightGuy wrote:

It is one of the other Christmas display forums. Here are the ones I know about:

http://www.constantlychristmas.com

http://www.myholidaydisplays.com

http://www.mymerrychristmas.com

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com

http://www.computerchristmas.com

TED

.... and now for us CALIFORNIANS ;-)

http://www.CaliforniaChristmasLights.com - a chapter of

http://www.ChristmasLightsCommunity.com

:waycool:

TED gave:

(a list of xmas forums!)

Thanks for the list, i checked out the additoinal ones...didn't join anything yet

(only ones i'm a member of are of course PlanetChristmas, & the lights thing i

made on ezboard a couple years ago)

I've now made myself up a list of all the boards i know of {ie whats been

posted here}...that has URLs & what all info it requires & displays (that'll deff help

me decide which to join...when i have more time to do so:smile: )