Leaping Arches

I'm looking to build 4 leaping arches, 8 channels each. I was planning on 32 channels of Light-O-Rama, but in order to do that it would be about $540, by the time I buy the software. Is there a cheaper alternative, that would allow animations of just the arches. I'm not looking for music sync. Just the arches doing different animations.

I built six eight-channel arches. Arches one, three and five were on one eight-channel controller and arches two, four and six were on another eight-channel controller.

It was possible to do a lot of the arch-to-arch tricks, it was just done in triple.

Here is a video that shows them doing a simple trick.

They also worked well as a fence. :waycool:

basis21b wrote:

I built six eight-channel arches. Arches one, three and five were on one eight-channel controller and arches two, four and six were on another eight-channel controller.

It was possible to do a lot of the arch-to-arch tricks, it was just done in triple.

Hm. That might work if I get one 16 controller, until I can get the other!

basis21b wrote:

by any chance could you share your mega tree stats? height, channels, and number of lights per channel? thanks.

You want your arches to be an odd number so you have a section dead center. I use 5 ch arches where each section shared a channel. I have 4 total and only use 5 chs for all 4. I don't have total control but that is ok because it still looks good and I make up with it on my mega tree.

J Morgan wrote:

You want your arches to be an odd number so you have a section dead center. I use 5 ch arches where each section shared a channel. I have 4 total and only use 5 chs for all 4. I don't have total control but that is ok because it still looks good and I make up with it on my mega tree.

Please explain why it's important to have a section dead center as opposed to 8 channels with 4 on each half. I haven't heard this before and want to make sure I don't mess up.

J Morgan wrote:

I disagree. Made my arches 6 channes so that I could moge the arches in thirds, halfs, wholes or leap them... With 7 or 5 channels there is no symmetry...

basis21b wrote:

Looks Good.

How many lights did you use for each arch?

Linda

You will find most people use 7 channels arches 1. for more control 2. they are evenly balanced. With using an odd number of channels you can have and a channel dead center and have an even number of each side going down so you can get the full leaping effect. I went with 5 ch because I didn't have the extra channels to use and it still looks great. 10' with 5 24" sections using 100ct lights with about 3-4" on each end not used to get the lights off the grass in case of rain. With an even number of sections you don't get that full leaping effect because 2 sections will meet in the middle which to mean doesn't look as realistic as having a section dead center. When you use the the fade effect on the arches on odd numbers 5 or 7 they will truly look like leaping arches.

christmaslover012 wrote:

We looked into the solder kits, and my dad and I didn't think we could do it. We thought it was a bit to much for us!

It's a "cake walk". Never soldered before, I bought 5 of themlast year durring the sale to split between Dad and I. Went together very easy. Just read the instructions twice before starting,bought theirons they recommended, and had no problems. Building them is part of the fun during the summer. :):):)

christmaslover012 wrote:

Don't they have a guarentee too about if you mess up they'll replace for free?

Not sure, If you send it in, I think they said they would fix the problem. But usally does not require you sending it in. There really is not anything you can do so wrong, that they can't talk out threw fixing it.

They have a great help board here: http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/index.php

I have not seen in the last year and 1/2 anybody screwing up so bad that the help board didn't help them out. But if you are that unsure about it, than maybe it is worth the extra $10.00 or $20.00 for them to solder it.