Multiple houses all wired togeather

Mike Weber wrote:

I haven't tried it yet but does anybody know if a computor router will operate a lor controler in place of using a wireless transmitter and wireless receiver I have at least six neighbors on our block that want to hook up to my system. Maybe more

No.

Is there any other way besides wireless trans/and receiver. They are to far to hotwire. I am on the corner and the next group are accross the street and down three houses. The next group are down three more houses from that group. I think so far we will have sevon houses hooked up to my setup. Thanks Mike

Mike Weber wrote:

Is there any other way besides wireless trans/and receiver. They are to far to hotwire. I am on the corner and the next group are accross the street and down three houses. The next group are down three more houses from that group. I think so far we will have sevon houses hooked up to my setup. Thanks Mike

Nope. Are you concerned about the distance? The LOR wireless units will go fairly far.

I am trying to save all my neighbors some money. If there is a cheaper way of hooking up there houses which are spaced sparesly to my set up. If wireless is the only way then I guess we will buy everything in the june sale. By the way how far will the wireless transmiter go?

The reason why the wireless routers don't work is because LOR works on an RS485 protocol. That isn't transmitted through the signal that wireless routers use.

Now also remember that you can have up to 4000' between controllers. You could always just use a cat 5 cable, or a cheaper phone wire to connect the units together.

Greg

I agree that wireless is the way to go. I used three LOR controllers this year, and connected them with the wireless linker. They all worked great, and had two about 200' from wireless transmitter.

One note: You may have to "play" around with the location of the receiving unit, especially if you have a house in between. One of the units on the other side of the house would not react to the signals as I had programmed on the sequence. I was using the short connector CAT5 that came with the unit. Went to Radio Shack and bought 25' CAT5 cable and moved the wireless receiver further away from the controller, and lights worked perfectly.