Neighbors and Display

We have an acre and half, no neighbors complain, the ones behind us try to compete with icicle lights ont he house 2 bushes in net lighhts, an inflatable snowman and lights onteh banner but nothing else lol. Our other neighbors across the street decorate like crazy, not as big as us because htey have a 100amp service, and the others dont care either. THe only problem we had with neighbors, was the guys mom who lives 3 doors up, hit our mailbox looking at our display when she got off the road, we have a steel industrial walk grate 4 feet in the ground as a post, she just broke the bumper and took the mailbox off, a slight bend to the post, then a week later another lady hit it (non-neighbor related) and bent the post more, and knocked the mailbox off, pulled the front right fender off the car, bent the passenger side door jamband the door wouldnt open, a right front flat and scratches down the side of the car:laughing:Other then that, no complaints even with the GE Lights and Sounds of Christmas blasting. lol

Reminds me of the mailbox post I put up for my mom. Someone thought it was funny to pull it out of the ground and throw it up in her driveway. I replaced it with a 8 foot long,6 inch square beam in 4 ft of concrete. This was before I heard of you Chuck :laughing:. No more problems. Until my brother had to spend the day digging it up when my mom moved.

I live in the country and we had problems with kids hitting the mail boxes with baseball bats. I made a mailbox out of steel and one night I hear the sweet sound of an aluminum bat ping and a loud yell. We have never had any more trouble even with it now being a cheap plastic mailbox.:waycool:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar story. My dad and mom live in the country and I always used to put a quite elaborate lighting setup in their yard. On year, I came out not once but 4 times in a two week time frame to see that someone had cut through the extension cords, and had cut sections of the lights off the fence (no not strand by strand either - just cut out from fence post to fence post!) My brother and I got some of our friends who played paintball with us and set up Christmas Eve. We replaced everything that was damaged, then waited. Sure enough just after midnight, two cars drove by slowly, then turned in a dead end street about 1/2 mile away. We could see them walking down the road, and decided to wait until they were in the yard. Now, for those who don't know, paintballs, in any type of weather hurts. But, in cold weather, they don't break! We let loose and they were falling everywhere and trying to get away from us!!! :laughing: It was fun needless to say. What they didn't realize was that we had two guys over by their cars. They got to the cars to find windows damages, massive dents in the cars, and were pelted as they sped out of the dead end road.

Well, we did get a visit from some very irate parents, but my dad basically said, that he didn't care, they could go to [email protected]!! and said that he would shoot the parents himself if they didn't leave the premises!

They took us to court and lost! The judge said that the vandalization of private property and the right to protect that property at any cost overruled the rights of the teenagers and the parents. What the teenagers didn't know is that the area they drove their cars and parked, my dad owned the land around it and it was a private road! So they had to fix their own cars and it was just fun. Taught them all some valuable lessons I hope.

Custom Christmas Displays wrote:

I have a similar story. My dad and mom live in the country and I always used to put a quite elaborate lighting setup in their yard. On year, I came out not once but 4 times in a two week time frame to see that someone had cut through the extension cords, and had cut sections of the lights off the fence (no not strand by strand either - just cut out from fence post to fence post!) My brother and I got some of our friends who played paintball with us and set up Christmas Eve. We replaced everything that was damaged, then waited. Sure enough just after midnight, two cars drove by slowly, then turned in a dead end street about 1/2 mile away. We could see them walking down the road, and decided to wait until they were in the yard. Now, for those who don't know, paintballs, in any type of weather hurts. But, in cold weather, they don't break! We let loose and they were falling everywhere and trying to get away from us!!! :laughing: It was fun needless to say. What they didn't realize was that we had two guys over by their cars. They got to the cars to find windows damages, massive dents in the cars, and were pelted as they sped out of the dead end road.

Well, we did get a visit from some very irate parents, but my dad basically said, that he didn't care, they could go to [email protected]!! and said that he would shoot the parents himself if they didn't leave the premises!

They took us to court and lost! The judge said that the vandalization of private property and the right to protect that property at any cost overruled the rights of the teenagers and the parents. What the teenagers didn't know is that the area they drove their cars and parked, my dad owned the land around it and it was a private road! So they had to fix their own cars and it was just fun. Taught them all some valuable lessons I hope.

Did you ever have a problem again?

Personally I think it should have been handled by the law. What lessons are you teaching young children? Rembember 2 wrongs dont make a right!

No we never had a problem again thankfully.

And in response to you Peggy, that incident happened when I was in my teenage years, and now that I am older and wiser, I agree that the law should have taken care of it.

But, with living in the country, the time that can elapse from when we call them to when they would actually show would range from 8 minutes up to 20 minutes ( from experience having to call!! :() The amount of time that would be needed to use wire and bolt cutters to do damage could take as little as 3 minutes. And the law states that what the law doesn't see, they can't prosecute. Even if we have the proof of the damages and license plates. They could only be prosecuted for trespassing but not enough to get them to pay for damages. So, unfortunately my brother, friends, and I took the law in our own hands that night and did what we did.

~20 years ago ... my Dad chased down several 17 - 18 year olds that egged our house. He had the cops frisk them and lecture them. My grandmother who was watching the whole thing was disturbed. One guy had a handgun and another had a knife. I can't believe me Dad chased the down and they surrended like they did. He (my Dad) was trying to teach them a lesson. Well, those guys returned about once a year for about 6-7 years thereafter ... and drove through my dads pasture fence with a truck. Each and every time, my Dad would promptly go out and repair and repaint the fence the very next morning. I'm not sure anyone learned anything, unfortunately. I don't blame you for doing what you did. My biggest worry about doing LOR are these kinds of dead enders. I run a video camera on the yard 24x7 and I figure I may be doing two cams net Christmas.... just in case. I had vandalism while my driveway was being re-poured ... not once, but twice ... and I wish I had the camera then to see who it was. The cops could do nothing because I had no evidence. We believe it was a disgruntled door to door soliciter, which we almost never get.

And in response to you Peggy, that incident happened when I was in my teenage years, and now that I am older and wiser, I agree that the law should have taken care of it.

The older you get, the more you realize what a miracle it is that you lived to beas old as you are.

Convention dictates that the majority of us should be pushing up daisies based on our prior behavior.

;)

The older you get, the more you realize what a miracle it is that you lived to beas old as you are.

Convention dictates that the majority of us should be pushing up daisies based on our prior behavior.

;)

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:man u are old Chuck, iam just 25

I agree with that sentiment. I have done my fair share of falling and getting injured. Thankfully, I haven't been injured that badly. My most recent incident was 7 years ago when I was doing my parents stuco roof. Now stuco, for those who don't know is like ice covered glass when wet. I knew this and was trying to get the lights done before it started to rain:) Well, I was stradling an A frame stuco section and slipped. I fell 10 feet to the ground on my back and landed on a stump. It knocked me out and I woke up in an ambulance.

My parents are both doctors :]:]:]so lucky me that my dad was watching me and when I started to fall he didn't run out to check me, instead he called 911 and then came out.

I had bruised ribs, a sore neck, and quite a headache after that. I no longer do lights on the top of the house for them anymore!!! But, I would if they asked me to.

I honestly think that someone was watching out for me that day as the EMT said I should be paralized from that kind of accident.

The stump was around 5 inches wide and hit me in the center of my back.

Yes, I was wearing a safety harness but it failed on me somehow which I never figured out. So I now only do roofs in good weather (what's good weather anyway!!)