I live here in the desert in New Mexico, IF it snows and i do mean IF it snows around here it lasts' maybe 3 hours and then it's gone. No sign of it whatsoever, that being said i need to simulate snow in my yard for next years display. Here's my idea, as bad/good as it may be and who knows, maybe this isn't a new idea. But i would like some opinions before i jump in and try to make it work, and if you have any other ideas please let me know.

I was thinking about using white sheets, bed sheets, and buying rolls of cotton (sometimes used as a tree skirt) and using spray adhesive to tack the cotton onto the sheets. This should be relatively easy to stake/weigh down to the yard. Then i was thinking of buying some of those strobe lights that screw into a C9 socket, and laying a string of blue bulbs and strobe lights under the sheet/snow. I don't know if the cotton that i'm thinking of has glitter in it or not, but if it does then it could look pretty and possibly realistic. I live in New Mexico, i really don't know what snow looks like!! It is white, correct?! Ha.

My suggestion would be to move to Alaska and you won't have a problem. As far as the color of the snow goes normally its white but sometimes it changes color. If could be yellow which i suggest to try and eat. Sometimes the snow is brown or even black and sometimes gray this all happens after the snow has been on the grown awhile. It usually doesn't snow gray.

But seriously that might work but I have also seen the little flakes in bags that you can get the name escapes me, but my cousin used that after gluing them down.

Please understand that this comes from a guy who lives in south Texas.

Here we have what had been called "Windcrest Snow" This is done basically the way you have described. If you are using incandescent mini lights they run the on top of the material so that the heat of the lights can escape.

As for the material, i have seen white flat sheets, just white fabric, roll batting (found at fabric stores up to 96" wide).

Net lights seem to work best as it keeps the spacing even.

Jaye

drivemewilder wrote:

I was thinking about using white sheets, bed sheets, and buying rolls of cotton (sometimes used as a tree skirt) and using spray adhesive to tack the cotton onto the sheets.

I'm thinking that would make a big mess if it rains. I've thought about using that thin foam sheeting that is used as a packing material. A lot of it is used in packing furniture. See if you can raid the dumpster at a furniture store. It would shed water unlike cloth. I think it would diffuse the light pretty good.

TED

Oh sure, you guys are using your heads and being smart!! Talcum powder, marking paint, foam sheeting. Those are great ideas. As for the rain...doesn't rain much in the desert, but yes it would make a mess if it did rain here. I'll keep that in mind. The only weather we typically have here is hot and wind. So i'm afraid the foam sheeting would break and blow away. Very interesting, got some positive info here to feed off of. Keep them coming.

Hey Dude, you have my sympathy! I live in New Zealand and we had 28 degrees Celcius here on Christmas Eve. I got around the no-snow problem by making a visist to my local pillow/duvet manufacturer. They make huge rolls of the stuff that goes into these items. I'm not sure what it's called (polyfibre, polyester, polyethylene or pollywannacracker or something) Anyway, it's light, fluffy, cheap and water passes right through it. I use sheets up to 4 yards wide and 20 yards long to do the roof. Can't use it on the lawn if you have people passing through as it is a shocking trip hazard. With lights under it it makes a fabulous glowing effect. Hope this helps.

btlfannz wrote:

Hey Dude, you have my sympathy! I live in New Zealand and we had 28 degrees Celcius here on Christmas Eve. I got around the no-snow problem by making a visist to my local pillow/duvet manufacturer. They make huge rolls of the stuff that goes into these items. I'm not sure what it's called (polyfibre, polyester, polyethylene or pollywannacracker or something) Anyway, it's light, fluffy, cheap and water passes right through it. I use sheets up to 4 yards wide and 20 yards long to do the roof. Can't use it on the lawn if you have people passing through as it is a shocking trip hazard. With lights under it it makes a fabulous glowing effect. Hope this helps.

hi

living in the uk sometime we get snow some time not, out of the years i done my display i had snow twice in 8 years

so i make my own for the thick snow blanket i use the same material as btflannz used its like a wadding material used to stuff soft toys, and pillows.

but my main area's are done witha horticulral fleece used to cover newlysown seeds and to cover tender plants in the winter months.

i first lay down some weed control fabric this is for to keep the fleece clean as you can get more than 1 years used out of the material , place and single layer of the fleece over the area and stake down not to many as there more layers to go on top of this layer.

in a random pattern place some twinkle mini lights over the fleece the more random the pattern the better this will give the effect of the snow Glistening.

stake the lights down every so often along it length, then place 2 layers of the fleece over the mini light make sure that its loose and when the wind blows the snow will move to , as it goes for staking i would do it every 24 inches.

i will try and get some picture up of what i looks like so you can get a idea.

les m , u.k

Hey there....

I'm a Newbie from the United Kingdom...

Cant seem to add a pic to this forum, but i used fake snow Christmas just last.

Have a look on Ebay or any craft shop and order Polyester Wadding, then Stake it down. Its great because it covers all the leads, and will last for upto 3 months.

If anyone can help me add a photo to this to show you, that would be much appriciated.

Paul, Somerset. England

• 9 months later...

Bonjour!!

When I lived in California I used a fiberglass insulation that came in a bale made by certainteed that was snow white ;) You spread it out on the lawn or ground and spray it with water it mattes together and looks like real snow,I had people stopping to touch it!!

It is wind resistant and the rain passes rights through it and after your finished you rake it up and throw it away. 1 sack covers about 100sqft or 10m2.

I found the same thing here in France last year and will do it again this year. Check with insulation contractors in your area to see if they have it. You can spread it by hand or rent a blower for large areas.

de09005.jpg

This was last year!!

Salut MB