Neighbors pull the plug for 2008

Wayne Kremer wrote:

Richard,

..- However, if it doesn't have to be your house, then consider local parks (after working with the city), shopping malls,or your friends house. Whatever you do...just don't drop it. You have greattalent for a simplistic, yet complex display.

The good news is they just started building a mega park behind us. My house is the one circled. The entire area you see in green will be the new park. It will also have a 5 acre reservoir (with fishing). Right now they are only in Phase 1 which is to dig out the reservoir and they still need to get funding for the other phases to finish the park so we are looking at about 3-4 years before it is complete. It would be nice to do it here since it is right next to me.

The guy that is over all the parks in the city has visited my display and loves it so I already have the right connections if I want to go that route.

The only thing I am concerned about though is if it will have to become a "Holiday" Display which means I can't use songs like Carol of the Bells that say "Merry Christmas" or Amazing Grace Techno which was one of the favorites of everybody that saw the display.

creekside-and-park.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding it in the mega park would be very cool. Lots of possiblities there. Great expansion too!

I don't see why you couldn't still use Christmas songs, and Amazing Grace, I would just include some other holiday songs as well with it. No one should be offened if you involve all holidays in it somehow.

Hi Richard.

You had a great display this year! We too are in the same shoes. For us, this year's display barely happened and once again, we find ourselves wondering what we'll do for next season, if anything at all.

Good luck with your decision. I know where you are coming from.

Martin

lindsaylights wrote:

For us, this year's display barely happened and once again, we find ourselves wondering what we'll do for next season, if anything at all.

Good luck with your decision. I know where you are coming from.

Martin

How about bringing it to Sudbury:]:]

There ya go! Hmmmm tell them you will do a display in it under your conditions! This way you get the music you want.

You can possibly charge a couple of bucks per car and 1/2 of that goes towards funding the new park and the other 1/2 goes towards the charity of your choice.

Oh yeah you also want your own personal driveway or walkway from your backyard to the park and that has to be gated also with only you having the key!

Good luck

Peggy13 wrote:

Oh yeah you also want your own personal driveway or walkway from your backyard to the park and that has to be gated also with only you having the key!

That's exactly what I thought looking at the airplane view Richard posted! I said 'Hmmm...he needs his own personal walkway to his display...'

Richard, like everyone else, I'm saddened about your display. I read every posting one night that people had left on your site. People from all around the world really enjoyed your display. For this only being your second year, I can honestly say that you have mastered this hobby, unlike anyone I've seen as of yet. Good Luck with your future displays, and Thank You so very much for the displays you have done.:)

Bruce

Richard,

Parks in front of you AND behind you! You are truly spoiled. ;) Since when is 'Carol of the Bells' a religious overtoned song? If it is, I wasn't aware of it. Sure, you can say 'Merry Christmas' in a public display...you may just need to add Hanukkah and Kwanzaa so everyone else feels included (and a media circus won't occur). I wouldn't worry about that. That HUGE park looks incredible! Smooze with the city park director to see what he thinks about relocating and to build the electrical requirements into the park for it. :)

Wayne

Wayne Kremer wrote:

Richard,

Parks in front of you AND behind you! You are truly spoiled. ;) Since when is 'Carol of the Bells' a religious overtoned song? If it is, I wasn't aware of it. Sure, you can say 'Merry Christmas' in a public display...you may just need to add Hanukkah and Kwanzaa so everyone else feels included (and a media circus won't occur). I wouldn't worry about that. That HUGE park looks incredible! Smooze with the city park director to see what he thinks about relocating and to build the electrical requirements into the park for it. :)

Wayne

I am sure I can get away with Carol of the Bells and maybe some others but Last year I did "Silent Night" and "Hark the Herald Angels".

There are a few options open at this time.

-Richard

A corner lot make for an interesting display. And since it wraps around the corner, it might keep people moving along. With music on the radio, people tend to stay in the vehicle.

One thing I found after my move, especially to a larger lot, was I did not have enough stuff. But the flip side was that being in the country, I have fewer people able to see my lights. Being in the city will not hurt ya' any!

Good luck and let us know how it it goes. You have 9 months I figure to plan and build before installation! :shock:

Wayne Kremer wrote:

you may just need to add Hanukkah and Kwanzaa so everyone else feels included (and a media circus won't occur).

Kwanzaa? Where does it end?

I wasn't aware of this until a year or two ago:

An African-American scholar and social activist, Karenga created Kwanzaa in 1966 as the only original African-American holiday.[2] Karenga said his goal was to "...give a Black alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."[3]

So I really am not trying to be offensive, but where does it stop? Festivius is a similar holiday created to purposely try to take the place of Christmas. Will public displays have to start displaying Festivus poles pretty soon to avoid offending people that don't want to celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah, but aren't African-American?

-Tim

Tim, I agree with you! :) I was just throwing out a couple of religious holiday's as examples. You've seen how Christmas trees were pulled out of the airports a year or two ago because they didn'tinclude a Jewish offering. As homeowners, we can do whatever we want. Some commercial and governmental (e.g. parks) displays, probably need to cross the T's and dot the I's (as in Christmas!). :)

Actually, I think it is really only .005% of people out there would ever really raise a fuss about their religion being in a holiday display...it's just those .005% who blow it up to make a media circus.

Richard, sorry to see your news here. You have inspired me and let me spouse see the possibilities so that she is willing to go only with my obsession. Thanks for all your good work and sharing to boot. Now if I can just learn to sequence. This will be my first year with LOR.

In hearing this, I am saddened as has been repititiously used throughout this topic. I wish you the very best in any decision that you make regarding a move to your friends home, to a park area of any sort, or if you decide to scale back (BIGGER!! GOTTA GO BIGGER!!!)

I personally believe that in a gated HOA, that you have definitely displayed more poise and control over your emotions. You could have gone the backward route by arguing, ranting and raving, but you instead have honored the requests of those few neighbors and I commend you in that. You truly are a testimony to all that honor and integrity can be found anywhere.

On another note, I live in an area that is relatively quiet. I don't belong to an HOA and I live off a cul-de-sac. There are 5 homes on this, and I am the center home. I have a 25 foot grassy area in front of the home that runs the length of the cul-de-sac, and have had frequent vehicles.

I have made up a letter that I give to my immediate neighbors, and all others from 10 houses down either side of me and on the other side of the road, telling them of my display, the intentions to which I use my display, and the possibilities of increased traffic. I hand deliver this to each house in mid October. The reason that they have the chance to talk to me about my display, what kind of traffic congestion possibilities would arise, and so forth. I then deliver a reminder in mid November about the display and also inviting them to a Grand Display Opening Ceremony. This way, they will have had ample time to discuss this with family that might be joining them for the holiday season.

I have found that most of my neighbors have been very open minded - and are NOT afraid to tell me honestly what they think of my display or the traffic congestion. Maybe a suggestion to others, as I know that many on PC have much larger and grander displays than mine, as I am unfortunately still static.

To you, Sir Richard, I wish you the best in 2008 and do look forward to hearing what you have done for this year, as I am well confident that you will, as always, bring a display to your area that is truly fantastic, amazing, and a blessing to those who may view it. God Bless you and may you and yours be safe this year!

One advantage about static displays (in my mind) is that people see the lights and move on. They look it over and move on in a minute or so.

The people who do theanimated lightswith multiple songs could find people camped out in front of their house for the entire duration of several songs leading to a traffic jam.

If I had animated lights, I would do one song per hour so that people will see the song repeats and will move on. And having a couple minutes with minimal lights betweenscenesmight help clear them out too.

Just a thought.

Wayne Kremer wrote:

Tim, I agree with you! :) I was just throwing out a couple of religious holiday's as examples. You've seen how Christmas trees were pulled out of the airports a year or two ago because they didn'tinclude a Jewish offering. As homeowners, we can do whatever we want. Some commercial and governmental (e.g. parks) displays, probably need to cross the T's and dot the I's (as in Christmas!). :)

Actually, I think it is really only .005% of people out there would ever really raise a fuss about their religion being in a holiday display...it's just those .005% who blow it up to make a media circus.

I fear that in many of these cases, the person who orders someone to take down the Christmas trees for instance acts on a fear of someone, somewhere being offended rather than on a complaint of someone who actually is offended. I have a Jewish co-worker who I asked if the greeting "Merry Christmas" annoys or upsets him. he said "No chance,I just tell them Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah as I see fit."

Don't fear political correctness, move forward in spite of it.

RichardH wrote:

This past season, many of the neighbors have had issues with the Christmas Light Show. They all love it but some did not like the results of what it brought. At first many complained about the traffic so early in December I put together a crew of people that consisted of Me, Friends, Family, & Church Members. We had 3-4 people working the traffic. We would only allow 25 cars in at time and people would wait at the gate. Our road allows for up to 50 people to wait. Neighbors, Friends, Pizza Delivery Person, etc. where able to pass everybody and get right in.

===

One note of good news though. I just got an e-mail from a guy in Nigeria saying that I am in line to inherit $22 Million Dollars! :laughing:

You may have already considered it but just because the gate is closed doesn't mean that nobody can watch your display. Perhaps you can use the gate to regulate the flow of cars. Station one of your traffic brigade and open it to allow 5 or so at a time after 5 have left. Possibly add a "residents only" lane if it's possible.

Entropy wrote:

You may have already considered it but just because the gate is closed doesn't mean that nobody can watch your display. Perhaps you can use the gate to regulate the flow of cars. Station one of your traffic brigade and open it to allow 5 or so at a time after 5 have left. Possibly add a "residents only" lane if it's possible.

That is exactly what we did this last season. There is enough room for about 20-25 cars to watch it. When people would leave, we would have somebody at the gate and allow more to come in. People that lived here were easily able to pass people waiting to get in.

Traffic is not the problem here. My neighbors just dont want to allow strangers to come in for various reasons.

RichardH wrote:

Entropy wrote:

Traffic is not the problem here. My neighbors just dont want to allow strangers to come in for various reasons.

What does the HOA rules say about allowing "non-residents" in? Are there specific rules against it? I ask because, these things are usually very specific, and if it isn't specifically forbidden, then it needs to be added.

I know you have resolved the decision within yourself, and accept it, but, it may be worth making a point......

I look forward to your 08 display, wherever it may be.

rich. It sucks to hear that you cant do your display at your house anymore but this opens up so many options for you! You are experienced enough to go commercial if you wanted. Would be so cool to see like walmart or something lit up to carol of the bells. The park idea is awesome to! You could if you want to generate funds with it by making a drive-through display.

Or you could always donate your 22 million to me ill make sure the gate gets torn down >.<