Neighbors pull the plug for 2008

Wow, I remember reading the Preliminary thread on this saying that you might have to shut your display down. You know, I'd almost be tempted to move at that point. Take all of my subpanels, wire and plugs and go and find a new house. I'm so sorry that it has come down to that. I guess when you live in a Gated Community like that your subject to all sorts of different things. Much like living in a Strata.

Speaking from Experience I would never live in a Strata again. Too many rules and regulations that had to be followed. I'm glad that you have an "Alternative" to your display but, it just won't be the same.

Good luck and if there is anything we in the Virtual world can do please let us know.

-Evan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking when the media gets the story, you neighbors will look likevillians. Not only are they not allowing people to view your display,but also denyingover $10,000 to MakeA Wish. I realize you are going to move, but still. Good Luck!!!

WakeFan wrote:

I'm thinking when the media gets the story, you neighbors will look likevillians. Not only are they not allowing people to view your display,but also denyingover $10,000 to MakeA Wish. I realize you are going to move, but still. Good Luck!!!

I wouldnt agree with this. Richard knew it was a gated community when he moved in. He isnt having a problem with it. Yes it would be great if things could work out that he didnt have to move it. But it is what it is. Actually I think he was fortunate that the neighbors allowed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Richard, how do you have friends and family over for Dinner? My guess is there is a guard or you give them the code so they can get in. So you could just tell everyone to say they are coming to visit you, or you could broad cast the code to the gate over your radio:shock:each night of the show. I have never heard of a community that limited the number of friends you could have over.

You are just a popular guy. :D

At any rate hope you can move and find a great new location.

P.S. I lived in Salt Lake for about a year when I was in the 5th grade. Utah was nice but I like Alabama better. You do get a lot more snow.

Richard,

My wife and I are new to this and planning an animated show for 08, we were blown away with the class of your display. I only hope we can eventually have something look as beautiful, and organized as yours. I have to agree with many others here on saying you must be a very honorable man. I too, look forward to seeing what you do for this year and in the years to come.

Rick & Jamie

tfischer wrote:

Wayne Kremer wrote:

I should note that my rant was to the culture in general, not you!

-Tim

Too many people these days are sooooo concerned with cultual sensitivity that they don't realize (or care) that we also have a culture.

And I say if your sooo concerned about the culture of which you came. Go there! Live your life THERE and finally be happy instead of shoving it down my throat and pretending were both happy.

I'm with you Tim

$.02

Leon

WWNF911 wrote:

Too many people these days are sooooo concerned with cultual sensitivity that they don't realize (or care) that we also have a culture.

And I say if your sooo concerned about the culture of which you came. Go there! Live your life THERE and finally be happy instead of shoving it down my throat and pretending were both happy.

I'm with you Tim

$.02

Leon

AMEN!!!!

Richard, I wanted to add my "condolences" to all this as well. I have to say that your display is the best one I have seen (be that online only). It was also the one that got my wife to agree to let me expand BIG TIME for 2008 (32 channels to 160), so thank you for that. I know we will never been anywhere near as great as your displays, but thanks to seeing yours, we are sure gonna keep trying! :)

God Bless and keep the spirit alive!

My wife and my neighbor Super Chuck (co-conspirators on my display) still talk about your display! We love it!!! What a shame. We too live in a gated community but luckily, our POA is behind us 100%. They feel my display really contributes to community spirit (and I agree, of course). Anyhooooo, good luck with any of your future endeavors!

PS - How am I going to copy any of your ideas if you don't have a display????? :laughing:

"The question for each man to settle is not what he would do if he had means, time, influence and educational advantages; the question is what he will do with the things he has. The moment a young man ceases to dream or to bemoan his lack of opportunities and resolutely looks his conditions in the face, and resolves to change them, he lays the corner-stone of a solid and honorable success"...............

Bro I can't belive this has happend to you.............you are a total inspiration here with your magic you can so easily work with the small things such as a relay, extension cord, a mere light etc. You posted a picture on your website of your daughter next to that bethleham star you made.......a video that also included your daughter of how to build a leaping arch and her sweet little foot controling a foot pedal. (Something special you and your daughter did together) How sad the place you live in cannot recognize the value of family and a mans dreams/ambitions......... and yes we might all get a bit crazy with our dreams of a bigger better light display......but I believe in my heart you also believe with your heart and make this an amazing reality for your family. If I had your talent and means and something such as a *** that decided to come between us........I'd say.......especially with a man like you...they've truely lost something special. No matter what you choose to do........I hope you continue your ambition with lights and keep making your family's experience each and every year, very special and one to remember.....especially with a father/husband like you. My daugther this past christmas holiday (who is almost 2 now) would continually go outside to watch the lights and that's something I'd never take from her for the rest of her life!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I hope she has a requirement one day that her "potential" man be one that puts on a big christmas display just like her dad because its a memory burned into her that is always special. I'm only saying this because in a way I'm a bit selfish.......but I do hope this coming year or the next........you have your own place and your lights are featured on your home and not your friends. Good luck.. hope I didn't get myself in trouble here for voicing my opinion..........my daughter Bailey always comes running when I log into your site and "Music Dancer" starts.

Baileys_Dad wrote:

You posted a picture on your website of your daughter next to that bethleham star you made.......a video that also included your daughter of how to build a leaping arch and her sweet little foot controling a foot pedal. (Something special you and your daughter did together)

Thanks for your comments.

We do a lot of fun activities together. About a week ago we built a large snow cave in the backyard. Put about 5 hours into and we actually slept in it two nights. My wife thought we were crazy since a nice warm house was only 60 feet away.

We cheated though and used an electric blanket. You can see the extension cord in the photo.

Here are some photos. The 2nd one I used a very wide fish angle fish eye lens to try and capture the inside.

snowcave-01.jpg

snowcave-02.jpg

Hey Richard,

Just like a lot of other people, I have been inspired by your art and also like a lot of othersam very sorry to hear about your dilemma. I'm glad to hear that you will carry on with the help of others.

(Reality check) That being said, through your website, and postings/pics here at PC I must say,... Is your daughter the cutest or what?

You are truely blessed.

Leon

ron d wrote:

sorry to hear the bad news about a great display. when oppertunity knocks i ask........have any lights for sale?

When I hear that someone might not be able to have a display, I actually get teary eyed and feel sad.

Others, think: Boy, I can get something cheap....

Michael Beason

RichardH wrote:

No. The display is being moved and everything will be used.

That's the best news. I know moving a display to a new location that some pieces don't work any more. I used to have a full sized steam locomotive front that was from my Halloween and Christmas displays in Colorado. When I moved here to North Carolina, I did not have a good place to set it up any longer and had to change the design of the support. And then it never really caught anyone's attention since it was removed from the rest of the display. It's back behind a storage shed now since I had no place large enoguh to store it in. Well, I imagine the metal parts are still there. It's been 10 years now...

Richard that snow fort is awesome!!!! If it ever gets warm enough here maybe I will have to do it with the kids. Oops that better be before Friday as that will be my last day with them. Maybe the grandkids and I can build one instead. That was really neat that you slept out there with your daughter, I bet she loved it so much.

Richard, you must have been depressed and beaten down by the man. I see ONE extension cord, BUT no lights, no controllers...... :{

It's great that you do things like that with your daughter. Memories that she will treasure forever.:smile:

btw I hope you are not offended, but I'm shocked everytime I see your picture. Somehow I keep thinking you looked more like Willy Wonka.....:laughing::laughing:

skibozo wrote:

btw I hope you are not offended, but I'm shocked everytime I see your picture. Somehow I keep thinking you looked more like Willy Wonka.....:laughing::laughing:

Hmm...I thought he WAS Willy Wonka:P:P

RichardH wrote:

Thanks for your comments.

We do a lot of fun activities together. About a week ago we built a large snow cave in the backyard. Put about 5 hours into and we actually slept in it two nights. My wife thought we were crazy since a nice warm house was only 60 feet away.

We cheated though and used an electric blanket. You can see the extension cord in the photo.

Here are some photos. The 2nd one I used a very wide fish angle fish eye lens to try and capture the inside.

snowcave-01.jpg

snowcave-02.jpg

That is awesome Richard.

It looks to be 12 or 15 feet long, and done in 5 hours....way to go man!!! I'd put my head in and say "echo" "echo"!!!!! Its great to see another dad kinda like me and making castles for her in his spare time............funny how something like that can be so much fun and more appealing than the nice big warm house there so used too. :)