Neighbors pull the plug for 2008

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I have been lucky ,We live in a gated community and the gates are always breaking!! I think they have worked for 1 week since Halloween ! LOL!!! And I heard that we were getting new ones at the first of the year. I have only have a Static display in the past and had a limited animated one this past year "A different Mr christmas light box that didnt have music " called a Twinky?? but plan to go LOR Soon !

I might Have problems in the future but i hope not.;)

• 3 months later...

Really late to the party, but as I've said before you are my inspiration. Sooo...in the interest of Sensei and student, I gladly submit my house for your canvas, it's only a few hours plane ride. I promise to take good care of it while you're at home. I'll even have a snowfort ready when the little one comes.

Glad you can move your display, but i thought u were talking about doing something in a park, or was that across the street inside the community?

im sick to my stomach thinking about this. i wasnt going to post but the more i consider the situation the more i dislike the outcome. what it boils down to is people disregard what is important to YOU and MANY MANY people that come to see your lights. nobody can put up with the "HASSLE" that is caused to bring joy to thousands! id hate to know my "friends" wouldnt take into considration what it means to me and my family to spread the christmas spirit!! VERY VERY SAD!

Like everyone else here i too have drawn huge inspiration from your display!! studied it and learned a ton!! i thank you for all the help you never knew you gave to me!!

Jim

im sick to my stomach thinking about this. i wasnt going to post but the more i consider the situation the more i dislike the outcome. what it boils down to is people disregard what is important to YOU and MANY MANY people that come to see your lights. nobody can put up with the "HASSLE" that is caused to bring joy to thousands! id hate to know my "friends" wouldnt take into considration what it means to me and my family to spread the christmas spirit!! VERY VERY SAD!

Like everyone else here i too have drawn huge inspiration from your display!! studied it and learned a ton!! i thank you for all the help you never knew you gave to me!!

Jim

I'm amazed they ever opened the gates for the public in the past. There are lots of gated communities here in Florida and they wouldnt let public in the gates here unless you made individual arrangements for each of them in advance. Why dont they let you run your display on the house, but it will be yours and your neighbors private little secret because no one will let anyone in the gate.

Good thought Joseph, but I'm thinking there's no secret in Pleasant Grove about Holdman Christmas....keeping people OUT would be more of a challenge and traffic problem than it was allowing them in!

I have a feeling even though the house will be dark... people that arent aware Holdman is dark or moved to new location will be trying their darnest to get in those gates this coming Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

This whole situation demonstrates how HOA(s) are instruments that limit our personal freedom and sometimes the ability to do certain things.

When you buy a house in an HOA with strict CC&R's, your are signing away MORE of your personal rights and freedoms than at any other time or situation in your life. This is the agreement where you agree to live by certain rules and agree to a LEIN on your house if you don't abide by them.

The general lack of federal or state oversights of these HOA's and fact that any unqualified individual can run for an HOA position further encourages corruption, fraud and power mongering.

We all know Richard to be a class act and upstanding neighbor and citizen ... so he will comply with the wishes of his neighborhood ... but its sad he had no other choice (because of the rules).

Gated communities are actually even more limiting, because you have a physical barrier (to freedom), not just legal ones. But thats also one reason why people like them -- they are PRIVATE.

Edited by taybrynn

When you buy a house in an HOA with strict CC&R's, your are signing away MORE of your personal rights and freedoms than at any other time or situation in your life. This is the agreement where you agree to live by certain rules and agree to a LEIN on your house if you don't abide by them.

The general lack of federal or state oversights of these HOA's and fact that any unqualified individual can run for an HOA position further encourages corruption, fraud and power mongering.

Gated communities are actually even more limiting, because you have a physical barrier (to freedom), not just legal ones. But thats also one reason why people like them -- they are PRIVATE.

Hmmm maybe we need to share some generalized real estate law here.

For starters, no where in the United States does an individual ever really own the land. You only own the rights to the land in which your rent is the property taxes. This is because USA land laws are somewhat based on english law at which the King owned all the land in the country and the king granted DEEDS to the rights to use the land. When you sell your land with the house on it, you are only selling your RIGHTS to USA the land and not the land itself.

In the United States, substitute the King/Queen for your state. For example in the State of Florida, the State owns 100% of every inch of the state with exceptions for military bases and national parks, however there are 10 million citizens that own rights to small pieces of it all in the form of home or land ownership.

When you own lets say 100 acres, and you want to divide it up into 400 lots for homes, for one, you have to have the legal right do divide it up into the sizes you want based on the rights allowed to you by your local zoning board. If you want to build a house on the state's land for which you pay rent in the form of property taxes, you have to go thru the permitting process and get approval of the state in which cities and counties act as the state's agent in most cases thru local zoning and code enforcement boards (building inspections).

Also when you subdivide the land, you have 2 choices, you can "give back" the land under the roadways you pave making it the state's responsibility to maintain the road, this is called dedication, as you dedicate the ownership of the road to the state, or you can keep the road privately owned by the HOA or the roads and sidewalks can be equally owned by all the homeowners in the community. By keeping your road private, you now have the right to put a gate up and block out the public. Anyone not permitted onto that private road that the homeowners own can be found guilty of tresspassing upon posted private property.

Also that original owner of that 100 acres who subdivides the properties doesnt have to sell you 100% of the rights of your lot. He can retain SOME of those rights he has or transfers some of those rights to the HOA, which like allowance of people onto your private roadway behind your gate, etc is generally up to corporate like vote of the owners.

Its not appropriate for there to be ANY oversight of HOA's by the federal governments, that is exclusively a state's right to overseas the transfer and rules of land rights transfers. Generally HOA's are state chartered corporations and votes and related oversight of the HOA's are state responsibilities. HOA rules and deed restrictions cannot violate laws, for example in the 1950's it was common for subdivisions in the south to have deed restrictions forbidding home ownership by blacks. Deed restrictions or things of that nature that violate state and federal laws are automatically invalid and unenforcible however the ones that dont remain valid.

In otherwords, BUYER BEWARE! If you buy into a HOA controlled subdivision, you probably dont have the same rights as buying a metes and bounds, no deed restrictions acre lot just outside of town.

Maybe I'm lucky or just more involved or something... I'm in a HOA and our rules are set-up for 30 days before and 30 days after a holiday to display. I go in each year and get permision to put the display together in November and I just wait until the day after Thanksgiving to light up. The HOA loves the display and they know I can use the loophole with the 30 days after Halloween to cover what I'm doing. They even told me so.

They love the display and their are a ton of smaller kids in our neighborhood so they sit in your houses and watch through the windows. I've been told by the parents that they kids won't go to bed until they can watch it.

I'm more concered with the vandalism from the subdivision behind ours since they are unincorporated and they didn't want out homes built there. But I've been lucky so far and we're putting in cameras this year.

If you're having problems with your HOA, join the board, get to the know the members. Like I said I'm very lucky.

• 1 month later...

Hey Richard, Sorry about what happened. Any word on where you will be setting up this year? I have been a huge fan of your displays over the last few years. My family and I are looking to move up to the Pleasant Grove area and we would love to see your display in real life this year. If you want to see my display(static) from last year check out the album in my profile.

Chris

Edited by chris516

Richard,

Best wishes to you, your family, and your display this year. Large residential displays have an impact on the neighborhood that tests the patience of even the best neighbors. Your display will continue to live on thanks to all the videos you gave us.

Good luck!

Glenn