Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Gadget

LED floodlights

Is there such a thing as an LED floodlight that will screw into a standard lightbulb socket? If so, can they be faded with LOR?

I used halogen floods and wasn't impressed with the results, the colors aren't as true as LED and the paint scratched and flaked off the bulbs.

Any input would be appreciated.

There are.

However, fading of LED Floods is not a universal yes/no. Some do better than others. (I don't have the information handy to tell you which ones those are.)

I will be sending some new ones that I am carrying down to Fabian (Gordon Lights) to test with. They are mainly used for indoor only, but I can see them working in a light display as well and I am curious as to how they handle with LOR/Animated Lighting etc.

Thank you for your replies.

Can anyone submit information about availability, pricing etc.

I am looking for green, red and blue.

Thank you.

Last year I used action lighting LED par 30 35deg. bulbs.

They worked well, but do not fade. I had red, green, and yellow, adding blue this year.

They seem to stand up to being turned on and off very well. I used CFL blues that did not, out of 6, 4 blow by the end of dec.

http://www.actionlighting.com/

They are not cheap, about $16 each.

Is there such a thing as an LED floodlight that will screw into a standard lightbulb socket? If so, can they be faded with LOR?

Great questions. I have been wondering the same, as it seems like a lot of trouble to buy the DC powered MR-16, and the base connector, build an enclosure and then provide the DC power to it.

I found a store on eBay selling an MR16 that has a PAR base and runs off 100vac. The link to the store is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200193413965&_trksid=p2759.l1259

and they aren't cheap. But in the long run, considering the cost to build an enclosure for the lamp and the base for the DC version, and the time involved, is $15.99 that bad? I don't know, just wondering. I haven't had any experience with the MR-16, but am interested in learning more from those that have.

Also, don't know if these can be used outdoors and if they are dimmable. I've sent a message to the store with just those questions.

Tim

I just wanted to freshed this thread. Since my last post, has anyone located LEDs that you can dim and that will screw into a standard lightbulb socket? If so, could you please give me contact info? Thanks alot!

Hello and Happy Holidays everyone,

I'm still looking for LED floodlights that you can dim and screw into standard light sockets. Thanks for the help.

These show at Home Depot, but several online sites carry them also. I couldn't find them in the store. They come in clear, red, green, yellow and blue. I'd like to buy some to color-wash the house, but would like to have some feedback on richness of color and brightness. These are too expensive to buy on impulse, but the usual low power drain and long LED life is really nice. Does anyone use these?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?id=100651208&jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&marketID=401&productId=100651208&locStoreNum=8125&langId=-1&linktype=product&storeId=10051&ddkey=THDSiteMap

Edited by markm

This guy was advertising here before Halloween - I haven't bought or tried them yet but here is his link:

http://www.minionsweb.com/osStore/product_info.php?cPath=1_4_43_45&products_id=48&osCsid=8c3044539cffce140d0987267a33c27b

I bought some for Halloween. Work great with LOR! Corey is great to deal with.

The home Depot website was carrying the screw in LED floods, 30 par and 38 par. The cost is a bit steep at $40.00+ and I would rather go DMX and use the lights at this site, fewer lights, DMX and better effects.

A sample, found them cheaper...but lost the link.

http://www.animatedlighting.com/products/IntelligentLights.asp