Jump to content

How do you make the bulb count come out even on coro?


Recommended Posts

Coro question: With the graphic drawn, how do you make the mini light count come out even so there are no (or few) leftover bulbs to cap or cover?

The best I can think of is to (1)pencil proposed holes for the lights and then (2) count the proposed holes and then (3) readjust the spacing accordingly. There has to be a better solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Greg,

I made a lot of coro figures last year, and started out being very careful about getting lights in multiples of 50 or 100 since I was using Target minis.

I realized pretty quick that you can change a few things and maybe trim or add a lamp or two or three, but if you're 20 short or long there's not much you can do.

One funny thing that happened is that I plotted a long time to get a star to be exactly 50 bulbs since I had some strings of 50. Got the spacing just right, etc. Stuffed the holes of astar or two with bulbs, and the third string only had 49 bulbs in it. I re-counted my holes and found that there was indeed 50 holes....I had to splice in a bulb...That kind of got me to thinking that being exact was an awful lot of work...

So I ended up using black electrical tape to wrap extra bulbs and then put cable ties on the bundle over the tape so it wouldn't come loose, etc. It worked very well with no light leakage, etc. and didn't come undone at all during the season...That's become my "Standard" method, and I use cable ties to attach the bundle to the back of the panel where the wires are...

Thanks, Randy

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similiar thought when I was designing my snowmen for my snowball fight. So I designed it so that every circle circumference was in a factor of 18". It worked out great, every 18" is where you can cut ropelight. So I had no Extra to hide!

Link to post
Share on other sites

ggregzim wrote:

The best I can think of is to (1)pencil proposed holes for the lights and then (2) count the proposed holes and then (3) readjust the spacing accordingly. There has to be a better solution.

This is the method I use. It is very time consuming but it works. I also had a few strings come up short on bulbs. I just got another string that had the full 100.I did have to use a few black out caps on some animation parts where I had a couple of bulbs left that just would not fit. Here is a picture of the marks I make for the bulb location. This bear took 150 lights.

post-761-129571027814_thumb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...